Argus 2014

vaalkol

From the Racetec site.... :whistling:

Also attached the 2013 stats...although done a long time ago

E&OE

This will improve a lot once all the peeps that rode twice are added, my time is allocated to my name but not on the general standings.

I reckon the numbers will be very similar even with the wind.

I found that the smaller start groups helped a lot, may also helped that moved from B to A this year, but I found that there everyone knew what they were doing and never even had a hairy moment.

I think the smaller groups are a good idea, maybe decrease gap between pros and A or start them earlier. so that there can be bigger gaps between B-C-D

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The most interesting bike was a tandem that was single speed, tiny wheels, and seemed to have independent cranks! The co pilot crank was on the right, and the pilot on the left, no gears, and they pedalled independent of one another. They also were advertising them as being sold for R2000, so maybe they made them or something.

The worst, were the falls. One person just after Smits with a drip and neckbrace, and then seeing the helicopter come in at the water point to collect.

And then coming down little chappies, bikes touched from over taking on the left, and the bloke went over the mountain and down the side. I just kept going to find a marshall!

The sour, an A batch rider (have his number and photo) doing a second lap with his VB mate pushing an OB rider to the finish getting people to move out way.

My second Argus done and dusted. Started in C and it was a tough day in the saddle, that wind was quite something. Coming down Chappies and into Llandudno the gusts of wind just about stopped me dead on a couple of occasions.

As a few have already said, C caught B very early into the race and the bunch was massive and quite hair raising until after Smitswinkel but luckily there were no major crashes (that I saw).

Finished in 3:01 so just missed a sub3 but happy considering the conditions .

Enjoyed the beers in the beer tent afterwards!!

Finished in 3:01 so just missed a sub3 but happy considering the conditions .

Then we rode together till the end, 3:01.

Then we rode together till the end, 3:01.

Ok cool, I was wearing a black and white FiT kit on a Felt.

And then coming down little chappies, bikes touched from over taking on the left, and the bloke went over the mountain and down the side. I just kept going to find a marshall!

wth? are you serious?? where was this and how far did he go down?

M3 crash

My 12 year old son doing his first argus in l group. He worked hard for that seeding only to go down in that crash. A very disappointed boy spent the night in Christian Barnard. But he's doing fine and ready for next year. He still doesn't know what happened

M3 crash

My 12 year old son doing his first argus in l group. He worked hard for that seeding only to go down in that crash. A very disappointed boy spent the night in Christian Barnard. But he's doing fine and ready for next year. He still doesn't know what happened

Get better, boytjie!!

I thought the "chuck area" was brilliant

Agreed - I don't know if the idea was to keep the baboons away - but if it was it certainly worked.

Was the first Argus for years that I haven't seen any running into the road to scoop up discarded "Gu" wrappers.

Maybe they were all hiding from the wind somewhere ????

3:45 on the road from X, 7:15 in the beer tent :thumbup:

Good day out. Crash from Ride for Sight made me more than a little nervous of the big bunches - felt like I was a lemming, slowly being nudged towards a precipice... :eek:

Saw the remnants of a massive crash after Smits, did not look good - easily a dozen riders out the race.

Hope they all heal up

First Argus in the bag.

After eating tar 3 times early Jan I have been off training for 2 months and was dubious about doing anything under 4 hours. Then the wind picked up and I was even more sceptical I would survive. Strategy was to hang onto the front bunch ( start batch J) until Smit/Cape Point and then reassess, either stick to bunch or ride at own pace. I did the later. And was pleasantly surprised to roll in at 3:37 - legs held out well enough until the end. I was well and truly buggered afterwards though. Didn't find the wind much of a problem, I guess that is the advantage of living and training in these conditions full time.

Didn't see any incidents in our group however found the surging of the bunch a little hairy scary at times.

All in all a great day out, although didn't feel so great at times on the ride, luckily the finish line causes instant amnesia and you can't wait for the next race!

Big up to the back markers that had to endure crazy conditions later on in the day, they are the real heros of races like these.

Hey Ilana, great to hear! BTW, my journey was set out earlier - also from J, so we'd have ridden together until I went for a jol after my incidents. I nearly made your books for crashes in our group a couple of times!

I rolled in less than 10 mins later, having had a blast for the last half... ehhhr well, except for sitting on my own through Sun Valley, that was not fun - though got a couple of nice chirps in there! Actually thought I'd have lost a lot more time - and really enjoyed my ride once I went my separate way.

Hey Ilana, great to hear! BTW, my journey was set out earlier - also from J, so we'd have ridden together until I went for a jol after my incidents. I nearly made your books for crashes in our group a couple of times!

I rolled in less than 10 mins later, having had a blast for the last half... ehhhr well, except for sitting on my own through Sun Valley, that was not fun - though got a couple of nice chirps in there! Actually thought I'd have lost a lot more time - and really enjoyed my ride once I went my separate way.

Hey - I ended up on my own from Cape Point, having worked hard with the bunch up to Smits I decided my own pace would serve me better to get to the end. Sun Valley riding into that wind on your ace is a spirit breaker! Every bunch that came past me I tried to latch on but had no energy to stick! lol I train on my own mostly so not too bothered with riding on my ace - luckily! Glad you had a good ride.

3:22 for me, knocked 11 minutes off from last years time, guess gotta be chuffed with that considering the conditions.

much beer was consumed in the beer tent, awesome live acts too.

Crimson FTW!