Max Knox - XCO

jcza

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's p*ssed off a number of SA riders with the statement above. By all means if he regards their standard as being too low and if he believes his potential is not being realised here, then go overseas. But if it doesn't work out there and he needs to return to SA, he's not going to find too many SA pro's willing to help him getting a place on a pro SA team.

But good luck to him - I hope it works out.

I made some comments in the Nino thread this past week.

It did not go down well with some people.

I made almost the exact same comment but worded it like this " too many are legends in their own lunch boxes"

I personally feel that the level has dropped.

Too many people are riding a wave of "sponsorship"

Every second guy I come across is sponsored.

We don't have the same level of racing we had 10 years ago.

The marathons used to be raced fiercely at the top, yes guys are still riding and racing hard, but not like they used to.

I also believe there is too much ego stroking going on.

If a person performs below average, why do we feel the need to tell them they had an awesome race ?

The WC was an embarrassment, no matter how we look at it.

It should be a wake up call , not a pity party.

I feel sorry for the XCO guys as well as those who want to do really well.

Yes the XCO draws a crowd , but alas not a very big crowd, and if 30 guys or girls line up for a race, then you will mostly find only two or three within that category that can and will blow the field apart.

Now let it be understood, I am taking anything away from anyone and their ability, but to compete against the worlds best, one needs to think, act and ride like the best.

Another thing riders need to determine is where their strength lies.

There is a place for both XC as well as marathon racing but not all riders can do well at both disciplines.

I admire the XCO riders, they have exceptional technical ability , and I can only but have respect for that.

I think Max has seen the light and knows his ability.

Yes he might have upset some, but let it be a reality check for them if that be the case.

I for one wish him all the best, I also applaud his courage to make such a big statement knowing that he is leaving himself open to much animosity and negativity as a result of that.

**Disclaimer**

My comments above are not aimed at anyone on the hub personally.

If it comes across as aggressive, then I apologize in advance.

BIG WORDS HE BETTER FOLLOW THROUGH

If he doesn't manage to follow through, then it will be an even bigger reality check regarding competitive MTB racing in S.A.

hope he can make it, doing well internationally in XCO is the pinnacle of the sport in terms of non gravity events, marathon still just seems a bridge for roadies to get off road and for older riders to reap a few more years in their careers.

props also to guys like james reid who continue banging on trying to get results in XCO when he could probably land a cushy deal racing the local marathon scene.....

I like him.

I think he deserves respect for his stance.

I agree with Wyatt: the WC was an embarrassment to out XCO structures and riders. They need to be out there in Europe, competing against the best week in and week out. The best will bring out the best in our riders, if it is in them.

Good luck to Max Knox, and all the best.

Guest Travis.

I made some comments in the Nino thread this past week.

It did not go down well with some people.

I made almost the exact same comment but worded it like this " too many are legends in their own lunch boxes"

I personally feel that the level has dropped.

Too many people are riding a wave of "sponsorship"

Every second guy I come across is sponsored.

We don't have the same level of racing we had 10 years ago.

The marathons used to be raced fiercely at the top, yes guys are still riding and racing hard, but not like they used to.

I also believe there is too much ego stroking going on.

If a person performs below average, why do we feel the need to tell them they had an awesome race ?

The WC was an embarrassment, no matter how we look at it.

It should be a wake up call , not a pity party.

I feel sorry for the XCO guys as well as those who want to do really well.

Yes the XCO draws a crowd , but alas not a very big crowd, and if 30 guys or girls line up for a race, then you will mostly find only two or three within that category that can and will blow the field apart.

Now let it be understood, I am taking anything away from anyone and their ability, but to compete against the worlds best, one needs to think, act and ride like the best.

Another thing riders need to determine is where their strength lies.

There is a place for both XC as well as marathon racing but not all riders can do well at both disciplines.

I admire the XCO riders, they have exceptional technical ability , and I can only but have respect for that.

I think Max has seen the light and knows his ability.

Yes he might have upset some, but let it be a reality check for them if that be the case.

I for one wish him all the best, I also applaud his courage to make such a big statement knowing that he is leaving himself open to much animosity and negativity as a result of that.

**Disclaimer**

My comments above are not aimed at anyone on the hub personally.

If it comes across as aggressive, then I apologize in advance.

Guest Travis.

Well said Wyatt! People need to get off their high horses. And the people jumping on them need to learn to stfu, take a step back and assess the situation a bit better.

Think before lambasting everything you don't like hearing and have a proper think about it.

Guest Travis.

Stupid tablet

Edited by Ma se ster beertjie

Despite our obsession with XCM only 2 of our guys are ranked in the Top 150

Max - 63

Nico Bell - 86

Loads of work to be done!

lekker Max!

good luck boytjie!

The marathon scene has hurt the XCO scene, and things like this will hopefully push it a bit.

If the other boys are offended then they need to a long hard.look at themselves.