MTB Brakeset Recommendation

rufus

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any suggestions on a good brakeset for a Mountain bike?

Shimano Hydrolic.

It does not realy matter which model.

Edited by RocknRolla

What kind of bike / riding will it be used for? If it's xc, then I agree with the suggestions for Shimano Hydraulic.

Shimano SLX or XT - depending on what you want to spend

Second this.

SLX or XT

I have ridden both, SLX M666 and XT M785

Best change I've made to my bike: take Maguras :cursing: off and fitted XT with Icetech rotors.

i was contemplating Hopes, but then a friend asked me a very valid question: Well first off he said it's awesome brakes. But then he sketched this scenario: So, on the morning of K2C or day 2 of Sani or you're on vacation in Putsonderwater... where are you going to get some assistance and/or parts for Hope brakes?

Was enough to convince me and I am VERY happy with my Shimano's - it's an entirely different experience to slow down now! :thumbup:

Best change I've made to my bike: take Maguras :cursing: off and fitted XT with Icetech rotors.

i was contemplating Hopes, but then a friend asked me a very valid question: Well first off he said it's awesome brakes. But then he sketched this scenario: So, on the morning of K2C or day 2 of Sani or you're on vacation in Putsonderwater... where are you going to get some assistance and/or parts for Hope brakes?

Was enough to convince me and I am VERY happy with my Shimano's - it's an entirely different experience to slow down now! :thumbup:

So strange.

I had Maguras on my epic carbon and they were fantastic, no noise, no fade and great stopping power.

Maybe i got lucky?

I suppose it just goes to show that everyones taste is a bit different and thats what makes the world a lekker place.

Bang for buck, Shimano Deore! +1

Absolutely does the trick for me.

Only two tiny niggles. Not banjo hydraulic attachment at caliper, to adjust angle, which is a minor thing.

Also, no separate reach and bite-point adjustments on the levers. Can adjust reach only, which also slightly changes the bite point.

Otherwise brilliant. SLX and XT should be incredible.

Quite a range, Shimano is good value for cash and has more 'bite' for lack of a better phrase.

Hope is more pricey, but has oodles of modulation in the race tech 2. The trail version of those are almost like brembos on a Ducati!