Dumbing trails down

PhilipV

The blue section over the top of the hill (near the swimming pool) has been dumbed down to such an extent its now a light green route, there are maybe 2 small sections that are tricky.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem is that Wendell needs to attract the most paying customers as possible- And most riders will not even attempt the blue stuff.

So in a pure business sense - He is doing the right thing to attract the majority - which makes more money.

If the trails are to 'difficult' the average Joe will not go back - They'll rather go to Modderfontein :ph34r:

It is the more 'technically competent' cyclists that are feel like the tracks are made to easy - but we are in the minority.

That's why most guys I know looking for technical riding end up at Thaba...

Eish.....the locals here will bliksem a guy that tries to change a trail.No blue,green or black routes here but the rock gardens and roots have a cheat line around them.

down here in the south (tokai) no one ever dumbs down the trails no siree they only make em harder, down here we is real men and can all bunny hop with flats... :devil: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: lol

Edited by mikethebike234

No look I'll take Thaba any day of the week over Rietvlei (pretty much do), Thaba's a lot tougher than Rietvlei, yet I find even all the blue sections to be a lot more flowing and rideable. I live 3km from Rietvlei so quickly shooting from home to there for a lap and back when I have an hour n a bit is convenient. Would be nice if more attention was paid to the maintenance of the blue stuff, to keep it tough n challenging, but not virtually impossible. The blue sections up near the pool and vomit valley were perfect last summer, all rideable for those with the skills. Now u need to ride a trials bike. I've spoken to Wendell about arranging a build day with those who frequent Thaba. We can all chip in and repair badly eroded sections like after The Gulley up to Barry's point and pack some rocks into sketchy bits that are a mess. Could do the same at Rietvlei.

Edited by MTBaaisikilist

down here in the south (tokai) no one ever dumbs down the trails no siree they only make em harder, down here we is real men and can all bunny hop with flats... :devil: :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: lol

No Comment

Real mountainbikers Dig trail(Will keep that topic for friday) and knows what effort goes into building trails thus knows not to comment on something someone else put their time and sweat in. If you cant ride it, get off your bike and walk round.

Most trailbuilders are considerate with regards to chickenruns, but to make trails accessible to rookies, because you don't have basic skill to roll your big wheels over a rock garden is ridiculous.

Walk up a trail, know before hand what you can and cannot do... and progress.

This sums it up. ( Somewhere in Germany I think)

1044344_472039529547363_645510911_n.jpg

This is not Germany as its ulikely to find english sign. Quite sure this is a US sign from someshere in Colorado, great one though

No Comment

Pfft. Yeah. I know. It's a struggle, dude. Have a look at the "b line" at one of the rock gardens in Boulders. The primary line was a helluva challenging climb, that I took aaaages to get up without dotting down. The B line (which incedentally has only appeared over the past 6 months) takes a far less challenging route up the rocks, hitting perhaps one or 2.

It's a very good case study in laziness and unwillingness to further one's skill levels, that. It used to be challenging - difficult - yet rewarding as hell when you did it. Now there's an unofficial B line, which never should have been there in the first place.

It's people that take that B line that have changed the face of how we need to build trails in a place like Tokai, where everyone rides pretty much everything that DOESN'T have a DH1/2/3 attached to it, and then whinges because "it's too hard"

Things like 2 lines at every technical obstacle. That new-ish rock garden on the new Mamba, that is challenging no matter what speed you take it at. Jumps right next to B lines to give the choice, instead of drops and jumps spanning the whole width of the track.

As for dumbing down - yeah, maybe. And yes, a certain amount of technicality NEEDS to remain, and then build and build.

It's a difficult spot to be in. We have to make it challenging, yet we have to make it safe at the end of the day as well.

This thread is like saying

" Anybody slower than you on a highway is an @sshole and anybody speeding past you is a dickhe@d"

If you feel a trail isn't technical enough for you treat it like a 'Time Trial' section

This thread is like saying

" Anybody slower than you on a highway is an @sshole and anybody speeding past you is a dickhe@d"

If you feel a trail isn't technical enough for you treat it like a 'Time Trial' section

I dont think thats the issue...

There are technical trails to ride, the problem is the intermediate trails which had technical sections in are now basic trails.

Do you see the problem.

1. There were rocks on the green route and no rocks on yellow.

2. Now there are NO ROCKS (or any technical bits at all) on green AND yellow.

I dont think thats the issue...

There are technical trails to ride, the problem is the intermediate trails which had technical sections in are now basic trails.

Do you see the problem.

1. There were rocks on the green route and no rocks on yellow.

2. Now there are NO ROCKS (or any technical bits at all) on green AND yellow.

Now that IS a problem.