XT or Avid Brakes??

lollos

I've used Avids before (on a demo bike) and they had very good feel and stopping power. What puts me off them is that they use brake fluid (much less friendly on paint than mineral oil) and later in their life it seems to affect the internals.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am looking at buying a set of Formula R1. I currently have Avid on my bike and I have had two complete brake failures this year. One happened on Sabie (some major downhills (Front and rear failure) and the other one over this weekend's trailseeker at VG (just after the first decent. Had to walk the rest (Front only))

The Avids are just to inconsistent for me. Sometimes they work great and 5km later they fade. I have tried changing the pads and bled them but no change. Think its time to change.

I am looking at buying a set of Formula R1. I currently have Avid on my bike and I have had two complete brake failures this year. One happened on Sabie (some major downhills (Front and rear failure) and the other one over this weekend's trailseeker at VG (just after the first decent. Had to walk the rest (Front only))

The Avids are just to inconsistent for me. Sometimes they work great and 5km later they fade. I have tried changing the pads and bled them but no change. Think its time to change.

I learnt my lesson at Sabie, changed to XT when I got back.

Guest Omega Man

I think its fair to say the people have spoken :-)

Formula or Shimano FTW

HEY! What about Hope?

Edited by Omega Man

I have avid elixer CR AND XT ON DIFFERENT BIKES .Never had problems with either .Avids are always noisy when they are cold or very hot .Even the cheap shimano brakes work well .Cannot say that about the juicy,s

Edited by Blitzer

I think it depends if you are an XT rider or an Avid rider. I've ridden Juicy and elixir for 6 years. Still waiting for trouble with them. Ignorance is bliss. I think XT guys are probably those okes who slow down for everything that might look challenging so they really need brakes. We know who they are. Us Avid riders skrik vir foggol so slowing down is not high on the agenda. :devil:

I think it depends if you are an XT rider or an Avid rider. I've ridden Juicy and elixir for 6 years. Still waiting for trouble with them. Ignorance is bliss. I think XT guys are probably those okes who slow down for everything that might look challenging so they really need brakes. We know who they are. Us Avid riders skrik vir foggol so slowing down is not high on the agenda. :devil:

Oi! You and braaiguy shurrup. Friday is still 2 days away :-)

I really dig my Avid Elixir 5 brakes. SO much so that I brought second set for my single speed bike. I really dig that people sell them for cheap second hand as well. They have excellent lever feel and have never faded on me. Elixir 5 nogal.

Funny enough I my only brake failure I've experienced was on a pair of SLX brakes.

Avids need to be bled properly, that is true, and bike shops don't like them, because they bleed them like moegoes. I bleed mine myslf, and take my time with it. The pece of mind is worth it though.

Shimano is lower on maintenance, but the Avids feel better.

If Avids are like Alfa's, than XT's must be a corolla or a Jetta.