Feeling ripped off

Garfield2010

I had a seat clamp fall off whilst bike was travelling on holiday, we took saddle off so that bikes could fit together on the rack.

Made a plan with a nut/bolt from hardware store once realised what that it was gone.

That's what is still on it, total cost R1.20

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I do when receiving any important parcel is mount the camera on a tripod and video the unpacking sequence incl. inspection of the item. There are just instances where it would be difficult to prove that you're being honest and not taking a chance. Can easily be proven that the item wasn't as described or the order incomplete giving the seller no other choice but to rectify it.

Clever. I like.

It really is a crap feeling when you know you are being abused but have no real obvious alternative. Leaves a bitter taste and a lot of frustration that lingers for a long time. I think it is often a reason for people to abandon a brand/ shop/ supplier/ etc. that they supported for a long time.

Indeed Talus. I have 4 bikes of this specific brand (2 x road, 1 x MTB and now this TT bike)

I will also keep this in mind when the time comes to upgrade again (if there will ever be such a time again)

Having said this I am not sure the other suppliers are any different...

Maybe before buying the next bike make sure there are not too many "unique" parts if I can call it that.......

Maybe Titan bikes... They seem to be sold everywhere I look.....

Almost all industries are like that. Plastic clip for bike - R30. Plastic clip for bike with <global bike brand> logo on it - R500.

Same with cars. Add a Merc/Audi/BMW logo to a standard and commonly available part and the price triples.

Unfortunately youo're in the position where the part is rather specific so you're going to hoes. Best is to relax and take iit gently :-)

Almost all industries are like that. Plastic clip for bike - R30. Plastic clip for bike with <global bike brand> logo on it - R500.

Same with cars. Add a Merc/Audi/BMW logo to a standard and commonly available part and the price triples.

Unfortunately youo're in the position where the part is rather specific so you're going to hoes. Best is to relax and take iit gently :-)

....and lube up well.

It still burns that a Ferrari costs around R3500/kg while my bike is over R8000/kg while both are highly engineered specialized hand but items.

It still burns that a Ferrari costs around R3500/kg while my bike is over R8000/kg while both are highly engineered specialized hand but items.

Ah Rand/Weight ratios. One of my entertaining past times.

At R800 for a seat clamp that weighs 50g(???) I reckon Garfield wins with his R16,000/kg seat clamp ;-)

But as Eldron says, it isn't limited to bike parts.

I wanted a part for my car, dealer quoted R1 400 for a piece of plastic, same part from Ebay excluding shipping is R600.

With the bearings you might as well replace the axle and the seals plus labour..... Prepare for R1800 per wheel.

I didn't even pay that for my Eurus wheels.

Better option would probably be to buy another set of wheels.

Luckily Campag stuff lasts for ever (almost).

not as bad as yours, but I bought schrader to presta adapter at well known sports shop for R60.

A few months later I strolled through the same shop while my wife was in the fitting room and found the exact same product, packaged differently and in another department (rugby gear) for R 20

I bought 10 / R100 so now all my friends have.... how's your ass feeling now??

Edited by gongmech

not as bad as yours, but I bought schrader to presta adapter at well known sports shop for R60.

A few months later I strolled through the same shop while my wife was in the fitting room and found the exact same product, packaged differently and in another department (rugby gear) for R 20

I got one for R20 from the LBS.

Not as bad, but while shopping for a saddlebag, I settled on a medium-sized one; I wanted the larger one, but it was around R100 more. A week later I go to another bike shop and find exactly the same larger saddlebag, for only R10 more than the medium-sized one.

don't worry, you don't need to feel ripped of, we as a bike community IS being ripped of, we're in the hot new happening sport, they can ask what they want.

I'm careful where I buy things now, with some prices I just make peace and wait and rather import myself. 90% of the time allot cheaper.

Example....

Local News stand... Magazine, R120... Import as you can figure out.

Local Mag (Hard copy) R30, soft copy via iPad, not much difference.

The above R120 international mag, on iPad, R40 ... all thats needed to be said.

G

True..........a few years ago I subscribed to an American magazine. Cost R168 for 12 issues which is basically R14 per copy, delivered to my door. The same magazine (back then) sold at CNA for R65.00 per copy. That is a 460% markup on my landed cost.

If I could get it for R14, surely, they could get it for less.

Specialized will Transition your wallet from full to empty!

Maybe the high price was so you would cycle faster when angry.

:ph34r:

Edited by davem