Races taking rider weight into account

pieterdl

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As another heavy guy, my first reaction was to say, cycling isn't for us and you'll have to accept that we aren't as well suited to it as others.

But then, I though of something else.

If you love the bikes, but hate the hills, why not leave them alone and try something like track cycling? As a heavy weight, I can't climb all that well but I do put down pretty big power on flats... So time trials and track cycling is definitely an option for you.

Otherwise, train on more hills, grind a bigger gear up them than everyone else, and you could still have a chance.

While he's not a fatty, look at a guy like Peter sagan. He's got a big build for a pro cyclist, so uses it to his advantage... You don't see him challenging for the hill climb jersey but the guy owns sprinting...

Oh. And don't forget rule number 5.

Edited by AfdElite

The Mast Challenge in Tokai:

Every rider gets a "handicap" (I'm not going to say "like in golf") that takes weight and age into account. The heavier guys, 80 something kilos or so, and in their early to mid 40s, seem to get the greatest benefit. That means that a tough, strong middle aged guy can beat a skinny race snake up the hill. There is a prize for the outright shortest time also.

If memory serves me right (dodgy for us, slightly, older guys) it's called an anawatt challenge.

I think that is a very fair comment. Really, however some of us have not weighed 70kg since standard 8. Not fat, just big, No amount of dieting and training wil get me to 70kg. However it does not bother me, and like in any sport I dont expect any favours. If I play a rugby match against your 70kg I wont show you any favours. Everybody cant be competitive in every sport. as long as you enjoy it.

I almost want to agree with you but some people just bigger and bone density higher.

Everybody I know tells me I must put on weight as I look to thin.

However the Body Mass index says I am overweight and I never get my Vitality points for being in the correct weight.

Look, I am not saying that you too can weigh 70kg and you weigh a lot because you arent disciplined. I used the word 'generally' to illustrate this.

There is also a sense of relativity involved here. For me to stay this weight I dont eat meat, I dont eat processed food, If drink beer (1 or 2) maybe once a month that is a lot, 5 units of alcohol every 2 months is an indulgent period and I exercise (usually) about 11 or 12 times a week (no gym, just running, riding and some home cardio).

I have a friend who says he diets, exercises 7 times a week but never loses weight.... his idea of commitment and diet and 'not that much alcohol' is very distorted from my side.

Big people, 6ft 7 giants can never weigh 65kg, but a muscle to weight ratio is attainable for anyone.

If you write down every drink, coke, beer, bite of pizza, fried chip and piece of unnatural food or sweet you eat you will be astounded. Seriously.

If it was a weight handicap alone I would be pretty pissed off that people (not all) who have less discipline and focus gain an advantage. Are you going to measure my V02 max and give other people a time bonus because genetically yours theirs is worse than mine?

Look, I ride a rigid Single Speed, can I get a handicap too? Im sick of all the geared guys riding past me on the flats. Its unfair.......... Or can we just get our own catagory (weight, SS, dual sus, blonde hair, v02max zones etc....) and be done with it.

Or do we leave things as they have been for years and let nature, genetics, training, commitment, horses for courses and a **** load of EPO decide who gets the biscuit? :ph34r:

I think sani2c or Joberg2c (one of the two) has introduced a buffalo category for heavier riders for 2014.

:-O

Ja... Buffalo catagory.

But you compete against the other buffalos.

Without being mean the thinner guys are generally thin because they have better disciplin. The life choice to be thin usually comes with diet refinement, training hard and self control. I like pizza, burgers and beer as much as the next guy but to remain 70kg and fighting fit I refrain from indulging...... Giving up meat, cutting out processed sugar and other yummy things is difficult.

Its up to the individual to level the playing field, not the race organizers

IF weight is your handicap, take up a sport where weight is an advantage like.................

Finn sailing (weight class 80kg-130kg)

weight lifting?

wrestling?

boxing?

rugby?

eating?

I don't complain I am to small and light to play rugby, so you shouldn't whine about being overweight for cycling.

Don't entry a donkey in a horse race,

and don't entry a race horse into a camel race.

This is pathetic! Soon they will have handicaps for smaller rugby players! Sic!

Well the current handicap is you get thumped!

Geez, guys, where did you see him complaining about it? The bloke was just asking if there were any races that had weight categories. No need to climb onto your balsa wood soap boxes.

And try considering that the guy might be happy with his weight. If he's 6'6" and likes smashing halfbacks that blindly wander into rucks every other saturday, but still wants to ride now and then and see how he fares against other biltong chewing boers then what's wrong with that?

My vote goes to track racing and road sprinting.

Nolan is not a little fellow and he's currently owning road racing...

Ja... Buffalo catagory.

But you compete against the other buffalos.

Without being mean the thinner guys are generally thin because they have better disciplin. The life choice to be thin usually comes with diet refinement, training hard and self control. I like pizza, burgers and beer as much as the next guy but to remain 70kg and fighting fit I refrain from indulging...... Giving up meat, cutting out processed sugar and other yummy things is difficult.

Its up to the individual to level the playing field, not the race organizers

That's abit harsh. I'm 6.4 and 105kg my muscle mass alone is 88kg. So pretty impossible for me to get to 70kg. I do not eat refined sugars etc.

Does anybody know of any races where rider weight is taken into account to give a rider a handicap so that the heavier people can also compete against the thinner ones? I know being 100kg's I am not really built for hills or even for cycling for that matter. Thanx

:thumbup:

That's abit harsh. I'm 6.4 and 105kg my muscle mass alone is 88kg. So pretty impossible for me to get to 70kg. I do not eat refined sugars etc.

I agree, I'm also 6'4 and the best I have managed is 90kgs down from almost 110kgs when I started cycling. The important thing is the enjoyment factor I think. Would I also like to stand a chance to get some kind of catagory win even if it isn't the "main" prize of the day, for sure! Do I think it's fair that cycling should be handicapped like horse racing, no, that is taking it too far. But why bash race organisers/governing bodies for being innovative to make it more interesting for the weekend guy? The racing snakes weighing the same as my 7 year old son can compete for the podium, but it would be nice to now and then have a go at the buffalo prize just for fun!!

I agree, I'm also 6'4 and the best I have managed is 90kgs down from almost 110kgs when I started cycling. The important thing is the enjoyment factor I think. Would I also like to stand a chance to get some kind of catagory win even if it isn't the "main" prize of the day, for sure! Do I think it's fair that cycling should be handicapped like horse racing, no, that is taking it too far. But why bash race organisers/governing bodies for being innovative to make it more interesting for the weekend guy? The racing snakes weighing the same as my 7 year old son can compete for the podium, but it would be nice to now and then have a go at the buffalo prize just for fun!!

Well said brother.

What do you think they will call the heavy weight ladies?

Seekoeie/Hippos

Or the COW category?

Yes will somebody please find out for my bok.

Edited by Carpets Boyfriend

More muscle = more power. I want mtb races where muscle mass is taken into account :w00t: