Giving the Argus a miss this year?

sluiper

Just thought I'd ask the Brainstrust of South African Triathlon on TheHub their opinion:

I'm sure a few of you have been following the Argus threads and the seeding debacle for the front groups. The Argus was a pretty crazy race for me last year in B and it seems that this year will be even worse with the front groups only getting a 1 minute gap between them.

Are any of you considering giving it a miss? Seeing as the race is only a few weeks out from the IM, I'm seriously considering just dropping back and having an easy day out.

Last year I saw and was lightly involved in a lot of accidents and I can only imagine that this year will be even more risky.

Image relevant...

post-32108-0-40704900-1392127925_thumb.jpg

I assume some people will give it a miss, and others won't.

Bwahaha! That's a sitting on the fence statement if ever I heard one. I'm still in two minds myself though.

I'm giving it a miss. Just only now recovering from an injury, and don't want to accidentally get caught in a crash and sit out for another few months and then miss slightly more important races later in the year.

No, I'll give it a go (safely from mid-race), but even if I were in the first few groups, my ego would have made me htfu and do it just the same.

I haven't done the Argus because it looked too congested to me, plus I train on the route all the time. Then got told by a mate that I'm stupid and that its all about the vibe. I entered. Unfortunately the seeding races in the WC interfered with my tri schedule and now I'm stuck in group OA, 'leaving' at 9:45.

Just this afternoon I checked out the substitution regime as I'm really not looking forward riding behind 90% of the field, but the effort/charges is just not worth it.

Guess it is going to be a loooooong day with plenty of time to suck in "the vibe"....

I missing the 2nd one in a row - sad, but true.

Great day out if you just enjoy the ride, the celebration of cycling and the scale of the event.

True words. I cant wait for it. Bring on 9 March.

I'm sitting it out this year. Maybe get back into it next year. Just not fit enough to ride it on my fietsie!

I'll be at the top of Edinburgh Drive, cheering on the masses. All those who wanna say hi - plakkies, blue checked shirt and a tan floppy hat...

I missing the 2nd one in a row - sad, but true.

Great day out if you just enjoy the ride, the celebration of cycling and the scale of the event.

Me too. Illness last year, elective this year. Damn I wish the year had panned out differently.

I entered, but substituted my entry this morning. Its too close to Ironman and takes away to much of my normal training with all the travelling, visiting friends (read: wine tasting and beer drinking) and I would never forgive myself if I get caught in a crash and get injured. I will probably suffer from major FOMO but there is always next year

I missed the last 2 due to illness and a family wedding( Illness as well?) after 11 straight.

The scale of the event and just taking part in the event is worth it. If you are a racing snake and have not got a seeding in the first couple of batches then do what so many of us do, go out and have a fun day. You might just find cycling enjoyable again. Often the crashes are caused by the wannabee Froomes and the like.

I missed the last 2 due to illness and a family wedding( Illness as well?) after 11 straight.

The scale of the event and just taking part in the event is worth it. If you are a racing snake and have not got a seeding in the first couple of batches then do what so many of us do, go out and have a fun day. You might just find cycling enjoyable again. Often the crashes are caused by the wannabee Froomes and the like.

you mean wannabee Contadors...

I think my score is zero crashes from sixteen arguses. Stay near the front of the group, pull your turns and let the wheel suckers crash behind you.

(obviously 1 min time gaps changes the dynamic a bit)

Giving it a miss? No way. Got my best seeding to date - Z. 07:24. :blush: And an odds-on bet with a mate in the same batch. He wins = Johnnie Black. I win = Johnnie Blue. Any disgruntled A-batch riders out there wanting to be domestique for me? :whistling: