Event Photo Pricing

scott the hobbit

This has probably been discussed before, but is it just me or are the photos from events ridiculously priced? R45 per photo, that i have to download and still print (yes, I still print photo's) is a bit steep in my view. Maybe i just have deep pockets but I cant justify paying that much.

Ive never bought any of my photos due to cost but if they were cheaper i would definitely buy. and maybe other would and the photographer would make more money???

Right, that's my rant over

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree completely. this has been discussed many times and I agree that the guys have to make a living out of it but they are seriously expensive and i won't bother buying again.

If the photographer used good equipment and technique/composition - R45 per photo is VERY cheap... Even R100 for a good photo is cheap...

Consider that the gear + insurance to do photography professionally costs at least 150k - 400k per setup to photograph sport events - for some this may even be a small budget. Then consider travel costs + accommodation + cost to get set up on the route (multiple photographers - (starting with 3 which already can barely cover a large event, but if 2 are dropped at a nice location on the route at least 2 nice photos of each rider can be captured)

Then consider hiring a pro photographer and going to your favourite spot to get a few decent photos of you taken - will work out over a R1000 starting cheaply.

I've had some terrible photos taken of me during races - the prints were bad quality and for me it was an insult receiving them after I paid - for a service like that I would not pay. But... the standard is higher now and I see some great photos taken at races that's posted on FB and for quality like that R45 would be cheap cheap cheap... !

If 30% of a 2000 large field buys their photo the total income is R27k - then pay the 3 photographers on your team, insurance for equipment, consider wear and tear on equipment, time spent travelling, accommodation, time spent getting the photographers out on the course, time spent fetching them after the event, time spent downloading and sorting a few thousand photos, more time spent uploading them and sorting them via race number etc. etc. - R27k in this example won't go very far.

Edited by Brighter-Lights

If the photographer used good equipment and technique/composition - R45 per photo is VERY cheap... Even R100 for a good photo is cheap...

Consider that the gear + insurance to do photography professionally costs at least 150k - 400k per setup to photograph sport events - for some this may even be a small budget. Then consider travel costs + accommodation + cost to get set up on the route (multiple photographers - (starting with 3 which already can barely cover a large event, but if 2 are dropped at a nice location on the route at least 2 nice photos of each rider can be captured)

Then consider hiring a pro photographer and going to your favourite spot to get a few decent photos of you taken - will work out over a R1000 starting cheaply.

I've had some terrible photos taken of me during races - the prints were bad quality and for me it was an insult receiving them after I paid - for a service like that I would not pay. But... the standard is higher now and I see some great photos taken at races that's posted on FB and for quality like that R45 would be cheap cheap cheap... !

you have a valid point but a photographer should not try pay off all his equipment from 1 race!!!

it also comes down to economies of scale, if it was my business i would rather have a thousand photos bought at R15 than 10 at R45, yes i know there is more to it but if you are serious about your business and your quality speaks for itself a lower price point embeds you with the clients better than a higher one.

thats my humble 20000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 zim dollars( soon to be rands) worth anyway.

If 30% of a 2000 large field buys their photo the total income is R27k - then pay the 3 photographers on your team, insurance for equipment, consider wear and tear on equipment, time spent travelling, accommodation, time spent getting the photographers out on the course, time spent fetching them after the event, time spent downloading and sorting a few thousand photos, more time spent uploading them and sorting them via race number etc. etc. - R27k in this example won't go very far.

this has been discussed before.

thing is all the costs are sunk. many many people would probably spend more money on photos if they were cheaper, but don't buy a single one out of principle. obviously the suckers who pay top $$$ are keeping the business going

thing is, i don't think there's been a successful event photo outfit that has sold at reasonable pricing, so maybe there just are more than enough suckers out there.

IMO R 45.00 is reasonable if you only buy one, but it would be better if the price is reduced if you buy multiple photos. Some of these guys are now charging close on R 60 each for photos regardless of how many you buy.

you have a valid point but a photographer should not try pay off all his equipment from 1 race!!!

it also comes down to economies of scale, if it was my business i would rather have a thousand photos bought at R15 than 10 at R45, yes i know there is more to it but if you are serious about your business and your quality speaks for itself a lower price point embeds you with the clients better than a higher one.

thats my humble 20000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 zim dollars( soon to be rands) worth anyway.

Like someone said, there's a lot more to it - my experience is that even if they come cheap, most people just are not interested in buying the photos, even if they are stellar. Event photography is a very risky business and to make it viable some profit needs to be made.

My example of the R27k above would hardly pay for equipment in one go, or even in 20.

A pro body and lens easily costs R130k - then the shutter of the camera has a specific endurance rating, each click (shooting in burst can be 12 frames a sec.) of the shutter is a count towards the shutters end. Then consider regular servicing/calibration costs (R5k per service and calibration if it's the 130k camera and lens) etc.

There's many more hidden costs that I have not mentioned.

All media is the same... generally people don't appreciate the talent of the artist and want it for free.

Edited by Brighter-Lights

This has probably been discussed before, but is it just me or are the photos from events ridiculously priced? R45 per photo, that i have to download and still print (yes, I still print photo's) is a bit steep in my view. Maybe i just have deep pockets but I cant justify paying that much.

Ive never bought any of my photos due to cost but if they were cheaper i would definitely buy. and maybe other would and the photographer would make more money???

Right, that's my rant over

So what would be a good price for you?

I'm not photogenic................not even with a helmet and glasses on my head, and have never seen a picture taken of me that I really like thus I save lots of money.

I must admit that I would like a nice pic taken once in a while and for that I'm willing to pay R45.

Edited by Hennie VR

Do the math...fuel, accommodation, equipment, food for the photographers and then they still have to turn a profit. Not as steep as you think.

Plus the hours of editing.

Have seen some awesome race pics in the last while and would pay R45 for such quality.

My mate worked for the company that did the pics for the Argus a few years ago. She was a full time photographer but did work full time for the company, she was paid R450 for the day and required to give a DVD with all the pics the following day to the company.

Use it don't use it.