I run red robots.

anicca

annica, sluk n' chill pill sunshine! You are a rookie on the hub and obviously still need to mature a bit. I did not launch a personal attack but merely made an observation based on your OP and response thereafter. It was and is clear that you are unable or unwilling to comprehend valid argument. You asked for a response and you got it, with very valid reasons from different hubbers. I pointed out that in the face of all such reason you still refuse to acknowledge good solid argument when presented with it. Have we jumped red lights, yes, we all have done it. Point is your attitude towards this cannot remain in the face of valid argument and good reason. If what has been presented does not qualify as valid argument then i'm afraid this whole debate is going nowhere and you waisting our time. As for your attitude in life being ignorant, yes you are big time! You stated that driving a car was unethical?? BTW "irate' me says report me to admin for my 'personal attack' if you feel so strongly about it!

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I don't agree with every point annica is making, his debate and arguments are by far superior to most of you.

Most of you keep hammering on that it's against the law, but you conveniently ignore all the other cycling laws you are breaking. That's called being hypocritical. At least he's being honest and backing it up with good points.

And most of you conveniently miss understand 'jumping a robot'.

Totally agree. Sure we must obey the 'law'. But come on there are lots that we all consider dumb laws (let's open a whole barrel of worms here) like marijuana laws.. TV frikkin license.. BEE.. eTolls. just to name a few.

And guess what guys, road laws as we have it were primarily designed with motor vehicles in mind. Road laws as it pertains to cyclists don't really suit our needs. So yeah bicycles skipping lights - when it is safe to do so - I really don't consider as an act of civil disobedience as much as it is common sense. Stopping at a red is really smart. But stopping at one when I'm in the cycle lane at 6am and there is no car for miles is also kinda stupid. Note that this train of thought is different when I'm in my car. I stop regardless. Common sense prevails.

One of the advantages of commuting on a bike is there are a lot of (...more than 50? :ph34r: ) grey areas I can take advantage of. yellow line? sidewalk? 1,5m? lane split? where the hell are we supposed to ride anyways? I like riding my bike coz well I get to ride mostly where I want - and sometimes I even get to do it not wearing any underwear :clap:

I guess what I'm saying to OP (original poster, not Oscar Pistorius) is... firstly I applaud your honesty. Secondly, I may not agree with everything you're saying... but I sure do understand :devil:

PPS. This is from my POV as a commuter/mtb rider. Roadies riding in bunches and kamikazeing through red lights in traffic still horriffies and amazes me.

PPS. Did you know that until recently women in Saudi Arabia were banned from riding a bicycle? Now how is that for a stupid law?!

PPS. Highly recommended reading: "Bike Snob: Systematically & Mercilessly Realigning the World of Cycling"

Okay my dorkiness only goes thus far. MockTurtle out.

Say 15 Hail Mary's if you require absolution for your red traffic light sins, and stay safe. It's a jungle out there, and in here.

Say 15 Hail Mary's if you require absolution for your red traffic light sins, and stay safe. It's a jungle out there, and in here.

Hail Mary Hail Mary Hail Mary Hail Mary Hail Mary Hail Mary Hail Mary Hail Mary Hail Mary Hail Mary Hail Mary Hail Mary Hail Mary Hail Mary Hail Mary

I'm going to heaven!

Anica, this thread will go on for pages today, but i am sure by now you have your answer, and that is by the letter of the law one should stop but common sense add a number of other perspectives. At the end of the day, take accountability for your own and others safety and actions and be a considerate road user.

Let's replace the words "jumping the lights" with "committing murder".

What happens?

Yes, and then once we've done that, lets move onto replacing the words "common cold" with "pancreatic cancer". When we are done with that we can find some more absurd and equally stupid analogies to get preachy with.

I'm not one who follows the law blindly.

If a law is stupid I relish in breaking it.

Nice intro. It says a lot about the type of person you are.

There are thousands of laws, and thousands of interpretations of those laws. If your interpretation of the stop at red lights law is "stupid", then I say please carry on jumping lights. The Darwin award is waiting for you.

Guest Latent Blue
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/cool-stry-panda.gif

Nice intro. It says a lot about the type of person you are.

There are thousands of laws, and thousands of interpretations of those laws. If your interpretation of the stop at red lights law is "stupid", then I say please carry on jumping lights. The Darwin award is waiting for you.

The OP stated in her opening post that henceforth she intends to stop at red robots, thereby evincing a clear intention on her part to abide by the very law which she questions.

Is she not entitled to question or debate a law with which she disagrees? Are we so myopic that we will tolerate no debate whatsoever, merely because "its the law"? Your post, Falco, serves only to stifle and belittle a legitimate, topical and interesting debate.

Newsflash: laws get debated and amended on a daily basis by the very people who represent us, the people, in Parliament. Why can we not debate a law without personally attacking the OP, and calling into question her integrity, her gender, her post count, not to mention your repugnant reference to the Darwin awards.

Here is another thought. We still have laws on our books which are morally bankrupt. the Exchange Control Regulations, and the E-Toll laws are examples. Must we shy away from debating these because they are the law? Are they cast in stone and untouchable?

You're not going to get a reply from OP till late afternoon as she is at school.

So let's hope this thread fizzles out before then.

BTW - Harryn LET GO!!