The Cradle Mountain Trophy 2014

Reden

the wait at the river crossing was crap..i wont be back unless they fix it

For sure, I was so pissed off I didn't even go back on Sunday. Will definitely not do this "race" again. Total standing time was about 50 minutes.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to ask the organisers how they thought a 1000+ riders could cross a river crossing / portage where bikes had to be carried and only allowed one person at a time? We waited an hour, which is a joke - even for us buffaloes and newbs bringing up the rear.

Water points were well-stocked and very friendly. Nice vibe during both days. Great weather. Some challenging single track and climbs (subjectively, felt harder than the profile).

If the portage and start could be resolved, this would really be a good event.

I've been riding MTB for a good couple of years now and I accept that Bottlenecks are sometimes going to be a part of racing - but I have never in all my years of riding had to wait at a standstill for more than 30mins, even at some of the Nissan races. 10mins I'm ok with, but not 30mins, and never 1km before the actual obstacle.

Organisers, since I did this event in 2012, it's really improved, but unfortunately, the same criticism we had in 2012 has not been addressed. This could seriously become one of Gauteng's signature MTB races, but you need to up the game. Either limit your entries to 500, increase the entry fee so you can pay Farmers more to allow access to different routes around the bottlenecks, or chat to PG Bison like the Sani guys do, and build some sort of bridge over that section.

Anyone get a pic of the crossing? I assume then it was just after the abandoned house that you would have ridden 'through' and then you would have gone over the furrow and then followed the river upstream? I didnt go and look at this section.

Anyone get a pic of the crossing? I assume then it was just after the abandoned house that you would have ridden 'through' and then you would have gone over the furrow and then followed the river upstream? I didnt go and look at this section.

yip, thats the place.

Having a cold did not make the 2 days any easier!

So quite happy with my times

Day 1: 04.06.58, Day 2: 01.54.39

last km's of each day saw me fade quickly and got passed quite a lot.

the river portage was nasty, thankfully i think it was only about a 10min wait.

The final climbs up next to the road weren't fun, day 1, seeing the big concrete pillars was like dangling the carrot in front, until you got there and sent further along, much mumbling!

The grass sections were bad, thank goodness for dual sus, albiet a 26er, made it a little easier.

As for those muddy sections! chose the wrong side of the last one on day 1 and sank to a stop.

otherwise thoroughly enjoyed it.

The wait at the river crossing was the only downside. The route is exactly how a mountainbike race should be.

It was tough, with all different types of terrain including grass, rocks, mud, hardpack, district road, jeep track and a bit of tar. I really feel that for the price, this is a really good value for money race.

I have always been a fan of this race - because it requires bigboy pants. But this year, I stripped my moer at the end of day 1.

It was, as always, bumpy with long waits. But I think this year the messed up seeding made it even worse.

I have never gotten off my bike as many times in one race! We had the first 20km to sort out ourselves - and that went great. By the time we got to the river section, the entire spread-out field was put back together again.

Then, after the river crossing, I was stuck behind so many guys that got off for absolutely everything.

They weren't necessarily slow, but wouldn't even ride over a rock the size of a brick.

I knew what was coming, and I do this every year knowing about the wait and the grass, but when I lost my sense of humour (again) in the last 10 kms, I wondered:

- Why can't they sort out the portage section - it has been the SAME THING for 4 years. Surely there should be a learning curve from the feedback.

- Why would you have so many riders in a rolling start if you KNOW that there is a massive wait? What is wrong with batches 5 mins apart. Then, even if your seeding system is $%&ed, you will still reduce waiting time and traffic.

- Do they pride themselves in the grassy section in the last 10km's.

- How many sections of the entire route were actually built trails and not only cattle paths or existing paths.

Well, that being said, and now that I am not as gatvol as I was in the last 10km of day 1, and not as tired as I was yesterday after the race - this race is still value for money and a tough challenge to give you some perspective.

We pay R350 for 2 days, compare that with the fees of any stage race.

But for %^&* sake, build a bridge over river 1.

Re day 2: I don't know how this can be called a mountain bike race when you have looong sections of paved roads?

This is so funny. When races are too hectic people complain. When races are too easy people complain. Can never win.

Day 1 was rough and yes, the water bridge wait was unacceptable. Day 2, was fast flowing and although there was a paved section that lead into a district road section, it was def taxing on the legs as you simply went harder than what you would on a windy single track.

If they sort out seeding and a bridge here and there, this will be epic!

I thought the race was well organised, with the exception of the seeding and lack of gaps between batches. I was fortunate enough not to have to wait anywhere, but feel sorry for the people that did have to wait.

As for the route, it was a good challenge, the rocky loose climbs and descents were great, route marking was spot on (even without marshalls :eek: ) but compared to the 75kms at Dullstroom and Sabie this year (albeit they were in wet and muddy conditions) it wasn't nearly as tough. So I don't see merit in anyone complaining that this was too tough...... especially seeing as though the first 10kms were free (cruising in the bunch). Day 2 was nice and short.... a nice little sprint to finish the legs off.

I think if they just sort out the batch start, the backlogs won't be as big an issue.

A nice, affordable race, challenging yet manageable route for most riders.

Edited by rattlesnake

I thought the race was well organised, with the exception of the seeding and lack of gaps between batches. I was fortunate enough not to have to wait anywhere, but feel sorry for the people that did have to wait.

As for the route, it was a good challenge, the rocky loose climbs and descents were great, route marking was spot on (even without marshalls :eek: ) but compared to the 75kms at Dullstroom and Sabie this year (albeit they were in wet and muddy conditions) it wasn't nearly as tough. So I don't see merit in anyone complaining that this was too tough...... especially seeing as though the first 10kms were free (cruising in the bunch). Day 2 was nice and short.... a nice little sprint to finish the legs off.

I think if they just sort out the batch start, the backlogs won't be as big an issue.

A nice, affordable race, challenging yet manageable route for most riders.

Well done rattlesnake, strong ride!!

Did Sat only for Rainbow Qualifier. Cut tyre on rocky descent around 25km in. Plugged it twice and went thru 4 tubes. Limped home but qualified.

Thanks MikeBike and Chukky :thumbup: owe you guys beers

Well done rattlesnake, strong ride!!

Did Sat only for Rainbow Qualifier. Cut tyre on rocky descent around 25km in. Plugged it twice and went thru 4 tubes. Limped home but qualified.

Thanks MikeBike and Chukky :thumbup: owe you guys beers

Thanks JC! I see you riding strong in the VB's too - nice going!

The river crossing needs to be fixed. PERIOD.

And the organisers need to see of they can throw in a proper hill righ at the start just to sort out the group...its better for all even us slow oaks.

Day 1 has 20 km downhill start - and then everyone thinks they are gods - 500 guys must have passed me. And then I have to stand and wait behind them because they cant cycle out the rocky climbs.

Day 2 was much much better and the field was sorted at the 15 km mark.

Ill be back next year. I think I got what I paid for. But I BEG the organisers to get the seeding right, throw in a easy to pass jeeptrack hill for day 1 in the first 10 km, and sort out the river crossing.