Winter training gear

I am sorted on keeping most body parts warm and cosy during winter time - to the required extend. My hands, on the other hand, is still a challenge. Please share

1. tips on keeping your hands from freezing during winter training rides
  2. brand / type of gloves you swear by
  3. if you would rather hibernate ^_^

I use thermal inners from SW and normal long finger gloves over them.

I generally buy whatever gloves are on special at the bike shops when I have to replace them.

As long as they have that snot rag bit on......!

I am sorted on keeping most body parts warm and cosy during winter time - to the required extend. My hands, on the other hand, is still a challenge. Please share

1. tips on keeping your hands from freezing during winter training rides

2. brand / type of gloves you swear by

3. if you would rather hibernate ^_^

4. Ways to keep feet warm

The extremities always a challenge

Inner gloves under normal full finger gloves

Fleece socks over woollen socks

Cycling collar / buff for neck area

Overshoes / booties

X2 Mojoman. Best way, and when it warms up later on in the ride you just take off the inners.

Regards

Sarge

latex gloves (buy a box of 50 from dischem) wear them under long fingered gloves. will keep wind off fingers and hands warm. If temperature rises during your ride, can take latex off and put in back pocket.

Overshoes to keep feet warm, else thin pair of socks then jiffy bag on foot with another thin pair of socks on top, aim is to keep the cold wind off hands and feet warm.

Suitable warm clothing and buff for head and neck.

Where can you get the best second skin? Have an old one, gets me warm, but once I start descending my chest gets cold...

Turn around and ride uphill when you get cold.....

Heehee

It'll make you stronger too

Avoid reading Bicycling's latest issue on winter gear because you might have to sell your bike to afford the outfit.

Winter gear can be lekka pricey

Once you've invested in some good stuff, you're set for many seasons

I wear my normal short finger gloves, then cheap pair of thermal gloves over your short finger gloves. Easy to stuff them gloves in your jersey if your fingers get too warm.

Bought a decent pair last year for about R130 from Cape Union Mart, then use a black tennis sweatband for all the snot :whistling:

Toe caps for feet did the job last year, with thick Falke thermal socks also from Cape Union Mart.

Mr Price Elite long sleeve compression top R140 under my cycling jersey, then for the legs, First Ascent running tights R600 now I think, but about to use them for my 4th season, and they seem to last well, handy zips on the ankle which I unzip if I get too warm.

Buff over the ears R199, and I think I might even get a 2nd one this year for the neck.

We ride all through winter, and find the above is enough.

Where can you get the best second skin? Have an old one, gets me warm, but once I start descending my chest gets cold...

I use MR Price cheap and works R140 +-

Here is my take for my 5th season riding through winter in the mornings at 5.

Head - Anatomic fleece cap(have this for for 5 years and still works) with maybe buff like over neck

Top - Really cold days. MR Price long sleeve compression top with a short sleeve cycling jersey. Lightweight winter top with a decent winter jacket (anatomic bought for R500 a couple of years back). If you start to get hot just unzip the first jacket.

Legs - Old cycling shorts then thermal leg warmers then another cycling short bibs

Feet - Thermal socks from Falke with neoprene shoe covers. Not 100% as my toes still gets cold after 40+ minutes in the cold. But is manageable.

Hands - lightweight inners with Woolies winter gloves(R80). The best value for money combo. Hands get cold for the first 10km then is al OK.

This is only for very early rides but for rides from 7 it is another story because temperature seems to rise quite a lot then is is all about managing the cold till 8-8:30.

Edited by Jensie