In for a shock!

Eddie Stafford

I recently needed to get the DT Swiss NUDE shock of my Scott Spark (2013) serviced. I rang a bike shop in Pretoria and the confirmed that they can send it to DT Swiss to get it serviced and that the cost will be between R650 and R750. I arranged for the shock to be dropped off at the shop and about a week later I was informed by the shop that the shock is back and the cost for the service is R1,450. I believe some seals were replaced.

Is this the normal cost for a service of for a DT Swiss NUDE back shock?

Is there any way to find out what DT Swiss actually charged for the service?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Somehow I think the R750 didn't include courier costs to the suppliers and they might have found some extra things needed replacing.

I paid about 750 odd for my Nude 2 to be serviced by the agents a couple of months ago - including courier costs from Jhb.

The Invoice from the bike shop simply reads Service - R1,450.

So I have no idea of what other cost is included. I have asked for the DT Swiss invoice as well, but it has been 4 days and still no reply.

I think it is shocking that after you first being given a R700 odd figure for the repairs, they did not come back to you for confirmation to proceed with a service that would be nearly double the quote.

Did you send it from Mauritius ?

That might be the missing link, but still ..... that is a moerse courier cost for a little shock

I would not be a happy camper if I had prepared for a R750 service and suddenly its now R1500 odd.

A detailed breakdown of the work and parts used should have been included when you picked up the fork and you should have been consulted before they went ahead with the work.

Did you send it from Mauritius ?

I had a work colleague drop it off at the bike shop in Pretoria that is close to our SA office.

Thank you, this has now been resolved.

After the comments I phoned the bike shop and it turned out that the DT Swiss service was R 950 and the shop’s mark up was 35% (R 500)! I told them that it was ridiculous and the guy then spoke to his boss and they reduced their mark up to R 100. So I just received their new invoice for a total of R 1,050. All well!

Thank you, this has now been resolved.

After the comments I phoned the bike shop and it turned out that the DT Swiss service was R 950 and the shop’s mark up was 35% (R 500)! I told them that it was ridiculous and the guy then spoke to his boss and they reduced their mark up to R 100. So I just received their new invoice for a total of R 1,050. All well!

I think Its pretty disgusting of your bike shop to try and casually charge you R500 as a handling fee.

But now you know in future not to trust them.