519 members have voted

1. 1. Your home languange

• Afrikaans
    • English
    • Xhosa
    • Sotho
    • Zulu
    • Other

The most I've ever spoken Afrikaans was in the youth hostel in London.

Mixed heritage? My Great Grandfather was Irish and lived in the Eastern Transvaal during the Boer War. I tried working out which regiment he was in from his uniform until one day it clicked: his was Boer khaki.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay outcasts... what were the other 3 'others' rocking? I'm obvious, are there kiwis, arggies, some garlic eaters, brazil nuts, Israel brothers and sisters. Enquiring minds want to know...

I've really screwed the family as my wife is english as they come but her great, great (not sure how many) was President Brand, on the other side was the Murrys out of Graaff Rienet and got a lot of Calvinist action going on not to mention had a had in Stanford and setting up Robertson. Her g/pappy swore in Madiba as Chief Justice on inauguration day and then there is.... me... from Sydney. G'day chaps!

Edited by hellocolour

I doubt it... almost all of us has a bit of kaaskop in us...

Hup Holland Hup.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_JDbeDLF-R0A/TDc6T1mpabI/AAAAAAAACV4/pyKeNqykieI/s1600/holland_girl.jpg

http://www.worldcorrespondents.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/netherlands_vs_uruguay.jpg

It comes to my attention that people in our country is having a difficult time with grasping the term: "language" :ph34r:

I agree, did he mean Pirate (Seerower) or 'Paart' (Attentive)... :)

I wanted a multiple language option but it only allows me to pick one :thumbdown: .

My heritage is pure English in Natal.I didn't know what 'stwye pap ' was until I was introduced to the cuisine in the SANDF. Life kicked me in the ass and after 2 years of speaking mostly Afrikaans thenI spent my next 10 years on the far West Rand. Daai plek is rof jong. My moeder taal het somer weg geskrik.

I am a mixed breed as well. Scottish, Afrikaner, French and Lebanese grandparents.

Brought up in english speakibg home in Durban.

I am a mixed breed as well. Scottish, Afrikaner, French and Lebanese grandparents.

Brought up in english speaking home in Durban.

Edited by I FLY

I have no Rooinek blood for 4 generations as far as I could trace. Apparently a lot of us have a fair bit of Xhosa though...

When I lived in 'stralia it was quite irritating when every expat Kugel tried to speak Afrikaans with me to show how South-African they are. Most of them never spoke a word of Afrikaans while they lived in South-Africa.

It is one of my biggest regrets that after growing up in South-Africa I can only speak Afrikaans and English. I should have picked up more. Whenever I visit Europe (especially Switzerland) I am struck by how many languages the average person on the street can speak.

Its an expat thing...I probably speak more Afrikaans here in switz than I did in SA...it helps that there are 3 other South Africans (2 English and 1 Afrikaans) in the same building that I work in. We talk in code when we don't want the others to follow what we say. Its quite funny the one guy is from Durban and his Afrikaans sucked when he started working here, but its improved a lot over the years.

Whenever trying to talk swiss and I don't know the swiss word I just gooi in an Afrikaans word instead...I tell the locals its a sudafrikaanse schweizerdütsch dialect....

The euros and swiss in general are language mad, they think nothing of going to school to learn a new language or even taking a few months leave to go live in another country to practice another language.

But the real question is, how many Afrikaners in this poll can "langarm"? Anybody can braai, eat stywe pap, drink brandy en coke, or have ancestry from Jan van Riebeek. Ek vra maar net ... :whistling:

Edited by flymango

But the real question is, how many Afrikaners in this poll can "langarm"? Anybody can braai, eat stywe pap, drink brandy en coke, or have ancestry from Jan van Riebeek. Ek vra maar net ... :whistling:

Take that back, not everyone can braai properly