Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad there is a little 640 appreciation society here.  I have an '06 Adv almost stock that I have put 10 000km on and pretty happy. Sure, they are a little sluggish, vibrate,could do with a 6th gear and fiddly to work on - oil changes etc. Fit a good bash plate to protect the cartridge filter and, if it is well ridden, check the main important wiring for chafing - protect as needed (these 2 things have let me down).  Low front mudguard can clog in mud. They like being run regularly otherwise battery, seals etc seem to be troublesome- just done the water pump - spares were not too bad and quick (KTM Dbn).  You can get a KTM bolt kit for not too much money.

Fantastic resource on AdvRider.

Friend of mine had drama with his oil filter. They did a Lesotho ride and a stone somehow managed to get in behind the bash plate and chaffed a hole in the filter housing resulting in the bike losing oil. Was some slow tech riding and they only realized after the oil was all gone. Managed to get back to the border and the bike was trailered back and new filter fitted with new oil. All seemed fine after that.

Guess what I found when I dropped my bash plate (Got a Hyde fitted instead of the ali KTM one)? A stone..... so will be checking that regularly!

Just for interest sake apparently a Nissan 350Z oil filter will fit in case of emergency  :thumbup:

Was the water pump seal a preventative repair? Been reading a lot on the 640 LC4 thread on Adventure rider and that comes up a lot. LOADS of info available there 

And if you need to replace the starter brushes you can use the honda cbr600 2006 parts. Fits straight in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am also in the market for a Dual-Purpose Bike. I Kinda like the KTM Adventure 1190, but its a Big, Tall Bike. Don't think my feet will even touch the ground when I'm sitting on it.. :thumbdown:

How long are you?

I'm 1,81m and am alright with my seat at its lowest.

Suspension set to rider + luggage and my feet touch the floor, not 100% flat.

Never had difficulty in any conditions though...

It's an awesome bike, plenty fast enough to give many bikes a fright for its size

e1d59caace4981ce970a3af5e3cf5991.jpg

Listen to your heart!!!!!!!

Heart said SuperDuke

Brain said SuperDuke GT

Mrs said 1190 Adventure so its more comfy for her

Got the 1190 and am bloody happy.

That new 2017 SuperDuke has my tollie wagging a little bit  :wub:

And that akra gives me goosebumps...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baffles are out and had it de-catted too... 

Sounds a bit wild when you open the gas and then wipes a grin all over your face when you come off the gas, grumbles and backfires pretty loud.

Its awesome for commuting in traffic, the cars part almost like Moses parted the ocean in his story

Hi Grebel,

No, the water pump seal is quite well known for letting the oil and water mix - which I noticed after a ride late last year (I had just done an oil change too!); again, one guy I spoke to said it happens if you don't use the bike that often - everything dries out.  But a new shaft and all the seals, gaskets and washers was less than R1 000 and took about 14 days to arrive.  A little fiddly to fix and get the cam cover to seal and the recommended Loctites cost about as much as the spares but all holding; so far.

I have the aluminium KTM bash plate and hit a hole or ditch that just bent the bash plate to pinch the thin "tin" of the oil filter housing and start a leak. Tried cable ties etc but couldn't stop it.  Also trailer.  Got a stiffening bar welded across the bash plate there.

Check that all the emissions crap has been stripped off - I did mine and makes a little improvement - AdvRider is your friend.

How long are you?

It's an awesome bike, plenty fast enough to give many bikes a fright for its size

I hope you mean how tall??????

I hope you mean how tall??????

How long are you?

Well my Wife doesn't complain :ph34r:  :whistling:

I am 1.72. Not the tallest of riders..

Its all possible - just depends on how much patience and time (read RRRRRRR's) you have.  On the Scrambler I am building currently I have already run into some problems - DT front wheel doesn't fit Velocette front forks, DT front forks wont fit Velocette yoke, DT yoke fits into Velocette frame but the steering stops don't line up so the forks will hit the tank...

Tank from Honda fits the Velocette frame but it's too deep so I have to cut off the bottom and reweld it to make it fit.

So I guess I am saying if you are handy with a spanner, a lathe and a milling machine then its  lovely project.  If not, you are going to struggle!

So I finally decided to stop procrastinating and get this project of mine going again. I was in a state of analysis paralysis over which parts worked best and was just getting no-where. So made some decisions and got on with it - DT125 forks and wheels, Honda Tank, Blaster Shocks. I reckon it's going to be pretty cool when its done!

So opinions?

post-15215-0-96632900-1491204072_thumb.jpeg

post-15215-0-69531200-1491204083_thumb.jpg

post-15215-0-84172900-1491204096_thumb.jpeg

post-15215-0-06348100-1491204188_thumb.jpg

My motorcycle bike rack is starting to come along nicely now.

Will post pics when its all done......

post-35569-0-49576400-1491807780_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-79618900-1491807793_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-28837000-1491807804_thumb.jpg

post-35569-0-61453900-1491807811_thumb.jpg

So finally got it done the weekend, already stripped down for painting.

It came out better than I hoped. Can still access the topbox and didn't interfere with passenger footpegs. I can also swing the bars if I do ride with a passenger too.

The bikes handling is slightly different, thought I had a flat tyre initially but after about 5 or 10mins ride it feels normal again. Might experiment with making the rear a bit harder if I do a longer trip.

This opens up more options for me as the bike is light on fuel and can now accommodate the bike, kit and camping gear.

Edited by Steven Knoetze (sk27)