Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

R100!!

That's crazy cheap, have you seen any of them in use or heard reports?

I'm especially interested in how focused the beam is, most of the Chinese "spotlights" are just uber bright floods and can't be run on road because they blind the on coming traffic

I had the same lights and they were good. Only gripe is that it has a high, low and strobe function which also cycles if you don't have the power off for a while. So stopped at a garage to throw fuel in and I would have to switch the ignition on, then off and on again to go through the strobe cycle. You can solder a bridge inside very easily to stop this though.

I can't comment on the light itself, was only for visibility as I don't ride at night if I can help for it. I tilted them down slightly anyway, wish more bikers would do this actually.

Not R100, but from a reputable supplier of lights

https://www.extremelights.co.za/collections/motorbike-lights

I won't comment on their lights but will say that this would e a very expensive bling item if used only for visibility. If I was going to be doing genuine night time off-roading then I would get them otherwise I find them to be over-priced.

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

After all this analysis of lights, I think the guy who asked the question is probably going to go for a loud exhaust anyway.    :D​ 

Hahaha, No i am getting lights. I decided to stay with the dessert fox lights, since I do ride at night once or twice every second month during summer. I have also seen some very bright square LED "panels" that the dude installed on his hand guards.  Man those things are bright. I am waiting to see him at the shop again. If you only want visibility, that is the way to go. 

I am getting my exhaust is Dec or Jan. 

When I go running in the evening I run with a small LED torch in my hand and If I come to a car who I think hasn't seen me a quick pointing of the torch always gets their attention.  And you can do it in such a way that it doesn't look deliberate.

I got to thinking if there isn't an opportunity to fit something similar to the side or top of your helmet so that when you are riding the constant bobbing of the light would be more visible than motorbike lights lost in a mass of car headlights.  And you could easily point your helmet at a car who you think might not have seen you.

I even considered getting one of those small Laser pointers but figured that might freak people out.  Unless it was one of those Chinese novelty ones that projected a message like "Open your eyes Dumbass"  :devil:

Hahaha, No i am getting lights. I decided to stay with the dessert fox lights, since I do ride at night once or twice every second month during summer. I have also seen some very bright square LED "panels" that the dude installed on his hand guards.  Man those things are bright. I am waiting to see him at the shop again. If you only want visibility, that is the way to go. 

I am getting my exhaust is Dec or Jan. 

See? Told you..

Edit: Bikers can't resist the sound of a aftermarket noise maker.

:clap:

Edited by sawystertrance

When I go running in the evening I run with a small LED torch in my hand and If I come to a car who I think hasn't seen me a quick pointing of the torch always gets their attention.  And you can do it in such a way that it doesn't look deliberate.

I got to thinking if there isn't an opportunity to fit something similar to the side or top of your helmet so that when you are riding the constant bobbing of the light would be more visible than motorbike lights lost in a mass of car headlights.  And you could easily point your helmet at a car who you think might not have seen you.

I even considered getting one of those small Laser pointers but figured that might freak people out.  Unless it was one of those Chinese novelty ones that projected a message like "Open your eyes Dumbass"  :devil:

Maybe mount it on one of those GoPro helmet mounts?

So as a first bike again to test the waters ..... there is a brand by the name of Crosby, they go under the name of Mash overseas and is a Chinese built bike for a French Producer/Company.

They offer really well priced and simple bikes running at the 400cc mark.

Earlier today I spotted their Roadster outside my coffee shop and went to find the owner. In discussion with him, he really loves the bike. Rides well and is happy take his wife/girlfriend/lady sitting opposite him and their gear for weekends away in Langebaan, etc. His first run in service also only cost him R700.

Under closer inspection the bike actually looks rather good, and with a price tag of R48K is flipping well priced.

Looking at the Crosby site I see they also do a Scrambler version, now this "works"  for me from a looks department. I would just remove the Crosby decals if possible....and try and get it with the Chromed Tank!

But still kicking tyres and learning as I am going, this looks like an economical option, that if I also want to work on later in it's life is simple enough to experiment with.

http://crosbymc.co.za/online/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=54

http://www.mash-motors.fr/3568-access_thickbox/mash-scrambler-400cc-efi-2018.jpg

So as a first bike again to test the waters ..... there is a brand by the name of Crosby, they go under the name of Mash overseas and is a Chinese built bike for a French Producer/Company.

Earlier today I spotted their Roadster outside my coffee shop and went to find the owner. In discussion with him, he really loves the bike. Rides well and is happy take his wife/girlfriend/lady sitting opposite him and their gear for weekends away in Langebaan, etc. His first run in service also only cost him R700.

Under closer inspection the bike actually looks rather good, and with a price tag of R48K is flipping well priced.

Looking at the Crosby site I see they also do a Scrambler version, now this "works"  for me from a looks department. I would just remove the Crosby decals if possible....and try and get it with the Chromed Tank!

But still kicking tyres and learning as I am going, this looks like an economical option, that if I also want to work on later in it's life is simple enough to experiment with.

http://crosbymc.co.za/online/index.php?route=product/product&path=17&product_id=54

http://www.mash-motors.fr/3568-access_thickbox/mash-scrambler-400cc-efi-2018.jpg

For R48k I would rather buy a used Japanese bike. That gets you a good Suzuki SV1000 just as an example.

Go back and read some of the issues a fellow hubber had with a Moto Mia. These Chinese bikes are not made to do the mileage we do here in SA, they are city bikes that after 3 yrs or 20,000km get discarded. My brother in law lives in Taiwan, he has a scooter and this is their sales philosophy there, disposable motorcycles........

It is I that had the crap with the motomia. Stay away as far as possible. Dont listen to anyone that tells you otherwise. If you want to go chinese, have a look at the big boys. Recently the zontes are gaining popularity too. 

The bike shop next to my office (bike brothers) actually sells the Crossby. Its a 400cc single. Spoke to a guy that has one and he is very happy this far. I don't like them a bit, although they are very popular in the UK and Europe. 

I agree with steven, for 48 000 you can get a decent secondhand bike that you wont have problems servicing or sourcing parts. 

It is I that had the crap with the motomia. Stay away as far as possible. Dont listen to anyone that tells you otherwise. If you want to go chinese, have a look at the big boys. Recently the zontes are gaining popularity too. 

The bike shop next to my office (bike brothers) actually sells the Crossby. Its a 400cc single. Spoke to a guy that has one and he is very happy this far. I don't like them a bit, although they are very popular in the UK and Europe. 

I agree with steven, for 48 000 you can get a decent secondhand bike that you wont have problems servicing or sourcing parts. 

The Zontes are a nice looking bike, but again its like the Hyosungs. Yes they are officially imported and yes they have the SV650 motor (alledgedly) in them but their resale is non-existant and they are problematic if you see how many broken one's are for sale.

I am all for made in China, believe me, but their philosophy is definitely more towards disposable, short term use goods.

The Zontes are a nice looking bike, but again its like the Hyosungs. Yes they are officially imported and yes they have the SV650 motor (alledgedly) in them but their resale is non-existant and they are problematic if you see how many broken one's are for sale.

I am all for made in China, believe me, but their philosophy is definitely more towards disposable, short term use goods.

I don't like the Zontes for the simple fact that the owner of the store I was in kept insisting it was far better than the KTM Duke 390 and kept bad mouthing other brands.

I don't like the Zontes for the simple fact that the owner of the store I was in kept insisting it was far better than the KTM Duke 390 and kept bad mouthing other brands.

Then you KNOW hy praat ***. 390 is one of the most popular and well respected motos in the compact world, from what I can tell. 

Those Crosby's aren't actually too **** though hey - I spoke with Bill and the chaps when they tested this one http://www.billysbikes.co.za/new-rides/1133-crosby-tt400.html and they are usually very critical of the Chinese stuff - but not so much of this one.

But yes, all the other comments apply - spares, availability etc, etc....

I am just going to leave this here.... Kenny Roberts on the TZ750...

"https://www.facebook.com/titansofdirt/videos/273972296787096/UzpfSTEwMDAwOTUwOTU2MDM3MjoyMTQ4OTkzMTM4NzYwOTg0/"

You will need to cut and paste.... can't figure out why the link won't work

Edited by V12man