Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

seller wants to sell .... he is saying 10K because his girlfriend is now onto him RE the bike standing in the house.

may just have to give in and slowly try and get her going myself.....but need to make up my mind ASAP

• If you want a bike that you can ride/commute on a regular basis. Buy a 2nd hand Japanese bike that's licensed and running. Remember to budget for helmet, gloves, jacket etc.
  • If you tired of fixing bicycles and want to play with something else, buy the CX500, try fix it, maybe break it, but enjoy the project. You could end up with a nice bike but it will be a while before you need the helmet, gloves, jacket etc.

If it has got papers, and the engine turns over and makes reasonable compression, without any obvious knocking noises, it's probably be worth it ... :whistling: But if there are significant issues, discounting from R15K to R5K is not likely to offset the extra time and money required.  Also do some homework on parts availability. Is there a mail order supplier in Europe somewhere who can ship parts?

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wonder if it should have a shaft drive. What are your views on that? Is it less sporty? Less efficient?

I used to commute by motorbike. I went through 3 chain driven bikes before I got tired of messing with chains every 2nd weekend and shopping for sprockets once a year. Then I bought a Motor Guzzi V50 and commuted 80000km's on it. :thumbup:.

I still have the MG over 30 years later. I ride it once or twice a month but do more millage on bicycles.

In the meantime they have invented o-ring chains. So next time I might look at a chain driven bike again. :whistling:

• If you want a bike that you can ride/commute on a regular basis. Buy a 2nd hand Japanese bike that's licensed and running. Remember to budget for helmet, gloves, jacket etc.
  • If you tired of fixing bicycles and want to play with something else, buy the CX500, try fix it, maybe break it, but enjoy the project. You could end up with a nice bike but it will be a while before you need the helmet, gloves, jacket etc.

If it has got papers, and the engine turns over and makes reasonable compression, without any obvious knocking noises, it's probably be worth it ... :whistling: But if there are significant issues, discounting from R15K to R5K is not likely to offset the extra time and money required.  Also do some homework on parts availability. Is there a mail order supplier in Europe somewhere who can ship parts?

Tracked down a CX owner today via an add he had placed on Gumtree where he was selling an exhaust. Sent him a mail and asked if we could chat.

Spoke for nearly half an hour, he was very open about his experiences and where to find parts locally and via international dealers. He get's his stuff from a UK crowd. He places the order, they call him to make sure everything is 100% what he wants before shipping and it is on his doorstep in 5 working days!

He is busy getting his bike to origional spec, and hence selling the aftermarket pipes that were on his CX. ..... apparently alot of guys use Harley pipes on their CX's as it fits well.

All in I am getting more into the idea of taking this guy up on his offer ..... if I had it turn over infront of me I would certainly be taking it ... but as it stands the carbs need a clean and then the bike needs new fluids, so no real way of checking unless I squire in some carb cleaner, pop in a battery and some oil, etc to see if she starts.

Tracked down a CX owner today via an add he had placed on Gumtree where he was selling an exhaust. Sent him a mail and asked if we could chat.

Spoke for nearly half an hour, he was very open about his experiences and where to find parts locally and via international dealers. He get's his stuff from a UK crowd. He places the order, they call him to make sure everything is 100% what he wants before shipping and it is on his doorstep in 5 working days!

He is busy getting his bike to origional spec, and hence selling the aftermarket pipes that were on his CX. ..... apparently alot of guys use Harley pipes on their CX's as it fits well.

All in I am getting more into the idea of taking this guy up on his offer ..... if I had it turn over infront of me I would certainly be taking it ... but as it stands the carbs need a clean and then the bike needs new fluids, so no real way of checking unless I squire in some carb cleaner, pop in a battery and some oil, etc to see if she starts.

Did you have a look at the link I PM’d you, lots of detailed info about a CX build?

Lots of nice Cafe Racers built on the CX platform:

d2b149dd7eb6ae5f85ef5fab4d7c7200.jpg

c155d0caa848b109cc7d04eb777f6d2c.jpg

Did you have a look at the link I PM’d you, lots of detailed info about a CX build?

More details on this last build if you can????

Thank you .... clicked on it last night and will go through it in detail today!

You can still turn over the engine by hand and make sure it is not ceased solid. You could use the kick start if it had one. Otherwise put it on the centre stand, in top gear and turn the back wheel to turn over the motor.

Then attach a battery and jumper cables and turn it over on the starter motor. If you can get a compression gauge, take out the plugs and measure compression while it is cranking.

But check that it has oil before you do anything.

To get it started might well require striping and cleaning the carbs, petrol stop cocks, filters and strainers and maybe the tank too. That's half a weekend's work or more, depending on how time you spend googling info, watching Youtubes of CX internals  and drinking beer. The availability of internet resources and on line suppliers have made this kind of project a lot easier than it used to be.

PS: Also check if the brakes work. It is possible the fluid has leaked out, or the some of the hydraulic cylinders have ceased, or both. All fixable, but it takes time and some money.

PPS: Check if the clutch works. Turn the back wheel with the bike in gear, as above and pull the clutch leaver. It should disengage.

What i24 said. This sort of thing (cleaning carbs, stripping engines etc) is FUN, and should be done at least once in your lifetime. I did it every 6 months or so with my mini. Rebuilt the engine twice, when my clutch went and then when my mom managed to throw a small-end bearing while driving it! 

shotto, found some exceptional Youtube Clips for the CX500 ... seems it is a real "bike modifiers" bike

You can still turn over the engine by hand and make sure it is not ceased solid. You could use the kick start if it had one. Otherwise put it on the centre stand, in top gear and turn the back wheel to turn over the motor.

Then attach a battery and jumper cables and turn it over on the starter motor. If you can get a compression gauge, take out the plugs and measure compression while it is cranking.

But check that it has oil before you do anything.

To get it started might well require striping and cleaning the carbs, petrol stop cocks, filters and strainers and maybe the tank too. That's half a weekend's work or more, depending on how time you spend googling info, watching Youtubes of CX internals  and drinking beer. The availability of internet resources and on line suppliers have made this kind of project a lot easier than it used to be.

PS: Also check if the brakes work. It is possible the fluid has leaked out, or the some of the hydraulic cylinders have ceased, or both. All fixable, but it takes time and some money.

PPS: Check if the clutch works. Turn the back wheel with the bike in gear, as above and pull the clutch leaver. It should disengage.

I was eyeing this build out as they took the mindset of doing as little as possible (AKA cheap as possible)

MotoMucci_custom_honda_cx500_cafe_2500px

Handles like sh*t and uncomfortable to ride for any length of time

In fact most cafe racers do unless its factory cafe

Why would anyone want to convert a CX 500 back to standard? They were kaaak ugly and so damn boring, yet sensible like Toyota Camry. The more that are converted into cool looking, uncomfortable, bad handling Cafe racer style bikes like above, the better.

Got to agree with Kranswurm. They do look very cool but the ride will be very limited and possibly even dangerous. As bikes go, it would be a  great little second bike to blip off down the road to the coffee shop or cafe for 30 mins. But certainly nothing longer or more challenging than that. 

As a first bike, I don't think it would be representative of motorbiking and may even put one off it.

That's my opinion anyway.