Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

I do believe though that it has the correct Manx Norton close ratio gearbox so that's at least something!

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing as it's so quiet let me let everyone in onto my latest project.  A bit of (sad) history - I can't take credit for this bike - it was built by a guy who wanted a Manx Norton, but obviously couldn't afford a genuine one so he collected parts over 20 or so years and when he felt he had enough to begin, started putting the bike together.  As you see it now was where he was when he was called in for lunch by his wife, and after lunch took a little nap, from which he never woke up again.  He was busy bleeding the oil lines making sure oil flowed through before he started it up.

The bikes and all his tools went into his Estate and I bid on the Hydraulic Bench that the bike was standing on.  When I went to collect the bench, the Norton was still there - no-one wanted it and they were pretty desperate to get rid of it.  In the end I made what I thought was a fair offer and bought it.

It's not worth what I paid, it's totally impractical, has no collectable value because it isn't original, but I just could not see it being stripped down and sold for parts which was the next option they were considering.  I feel I need to finish what the old man had started.

So this weekend I'm going to fire it up.  Hold thumbs!

Shorten the fenders, change the seat. throw some lights on it and stick it on Gumtree with "Vintage Norton Cafe Racer" in the title and somebody with a curly mustache and an immaculately trimmed beard wearing skinny jeans, a knitted scarf and North Stars will take it off your hands before the ad expires. He'll probably even pay cash that he'll carry in a little leather satchel ;)

Edit: That is a very cool story though. An opportunity to complete a story that would otherwise never have been told.

Edited by Grebel

Shorten the fenders, change the seat. throw some lights on it and stick it on Gumtree with "Vintage Norton Cafe Racer" in the title and somebody with a curly mustache and an immaculately trimmed beard wearing skinny jeans, a knitted scarf and North Stars will take it off your hands before the ad expires. He'll probably even pay cash that he'll carry in a little leather satchel ;)

Edit: That is a very cool story though. An opportunity to complete a story that would otherwise never have been told.

Or better yet - throw some sawdust, rat droppings and chicken feathers all over it, and sell it as a barn-find.  Will be worth a fortune.....

I resonated with the situation, because I foresee my father being in exactly the same one.  When he was at university he had a BSA Gold Star 500 - the Ducati 916 of the 50's.  He always wanted another one and in 1980 found one in the UK and imported it.  I remember the year, because I was the unlucky **** who had to clean off all the bright green grease the shipping agents covered it in.  He stripped that bike 6 months later and never put it back together again.  

Last year he started with the rebuild and has got to about 80% - only for it to stall again.  Have no idea why he won't finish it, but I am genuinely concerned he never will....

I am thinking of getting this for the wife as a commuter.

In NZ you dont need a bike license to drive this, a car license will do. All other scoots require a bike license.

One million Parisians can't be wrong.

what a story, looking forward to seeing this bike coming to life!

Seeing as it's so quiet let me let everyone in onto my latest project.  A bit of (sad) history - I can't take credit for this bike - it was built by a guy who wanted a Manx Norton, but obviously couldn't afford a genuine one so he collected parts over 20 or so years and when he felt he had enough to begin, started putting the bike together.  As you see it now was where he was when he was called in for lunch by his wife, and after lunch took a little nap, from which he never woke up again.  He was busy bleeding the oil lines making sure oil flowed through before he started it up.

The bikes and all his tools went into his Estate and I bid on the Hydraulic Bench that the bike was standing on.  When I went to collect the bench, the Norton was still there - no-one wanted it and they were pretty desperate to get rid of it.  In the end I made what I thought was a fair offer and bought it.

It's not worth what I paid, it's totally impractical, has no collectable value because it isn't original, but I just could not see it being stripped down and sold for parts which was the next option they were considering.  I feel I need to finish what the old man had started.

So this weekend I'm going to fire it up.  Hold thumbs!

A real beaut and great project. I'm sure it would sell to someone if you wanted to sell it.

Even Hairy might be tempted.. 

LOL ...... I was thinking along those lines :P

I doubt it - no papers, it has the 500cc Twin Norton engine which someone told me would battle to pull itself out of bed, has a Suzuki GT750 brake which is probably worth more to a Suzuki collector than the bike(!) and Honda forks off I think a CB750 - you can see the mounts for the disk brakes.

But it looks cool.......

She sounds perfect :)

thats not very nice.

What did you want him to say? "To be honest that's buttugly?

????

Butt its worse than that...

Probably because nobody wants to buy it....

They have a following - got a list of people waiting in line.

What I really want is the electric c1.. but none came in to SA as far as I have been able to find out.

Probably because nobody wants to buy it....

They have a following - got a list of people waiting in line.

What I really want is the electric c1.. but none came in to SA as far as I have been able to find out.

you talking about the C1 ..... those have always intrigued me!