Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

2 minutes ago, Hairy said:

Thanks Wayne

I am trying to find something local so that I can place it against the bike and see if it will work with a pillion on the bike and the dual shocks of the Dyna's....and my flipping side mounted license plate.

Yeah I think the side mounted number plate may be a issue

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, patches said:

Was shifting stuff around in the garage and found an oil stain on the floor. So I started inspecting the Husky 450 and came across this

A crack in the ignition cover ????

I know how it happened (sidestand gave way on slippery driveway), but I didn't notice the damage at the time.

A new ignition cover will be around $200, but I see a number of KTM and Husky owners  who have also befallen the fate of "gear lever vs thin magnesium casing" have opted for the JB Weld ghetto fix.

Anyone here tried it before? Did it do the job?

Try it. What's the worst that can happen? 

I used pratley's steel putty on the ignition cover of a quad bike many years back, and it held up just fine. Just prep the area properly and that stuff bonds like crazy.

2 minutes ago, GrahamS2 said:

Try it. What's the worst that can happen? 

I used pratley's steel putty on the ignition cover of a quad bike many years back, and it held up just fine. Just prep the area properly and that stuff bonds like crazy.

Ordered some JB Weld. Fortunately it qualifies as an "essential item" so we can get it delivered under our NZ level 4 lockdown.

Plan is to do an oilchange at the same time so I'll take the ignition cover off completely and make sure the protrusion on the inside isn't affecting the stator. I'll then degrease the hell outta it, rough up a patch around the puncture with some 400 grit, and use my finest plastering skills to try get a decent finish.

????

9 hours ago, patches said:

Ordered some JB Weld. Fortunately it qualifies as an "essential item" so we can get it delivered under our NZ level 4 lockdown.

Plan is to do an oilchange at the same time so I'll take the ignition cover off completely and make sure the protrusion on the inside isn't affecting the stator. I'll then degrease the hell outta it, rough up a patch around the puncture with some 400 grit, and use my finest plastering skills to try get a decent finish.

????

Late last year I had a loss of talent on my KTM 525 and tipped into some rocks which punched a depressed (me too) hole into the ignition side cover which started blowing oil.  Stinking hot day but mixed some Pratley Steel, scraped the paint off and plakked (stuck for you NZ types ????) the stuff on, waited a few minutes (it hardened very quickly in the heat) and continued the suffering.

9 months later it hasn't leaked a drop, changed the oil and no tell tale flakes, can't get a cover so its done a good few hours since then, well 10 to 15 with no issues.

JB Weld maybe even better.

9 hours ago, patches said:

????

If you are taking the cover off you have the opportunity of doing a decent job, including ensuring a nice flush finish to the inside of the cover when you are forming the JB Weld Plug

Bike has been standing in the garage for 2-weeks plus due to an electrical short somewhere - presume it to be a faulty starter relay. Threw in the towel and book it in with BMW Cape Town, hopefully the can fix all the hiccups with this bike so that I can actually start enjoying it.

spacer.png

2 minutes ago, Andrew_Smith said:

Bike has been standing in the garage for 2-weeks plus due to an electrical short somewhere - presume it to be a faulty starter relay. Threw in the towel and book it in with BMW Cape Town, hopefully the can fix all the hiccups with this bike so that I can actually start enjoying it.

spacer.png

This used to be one of commuter coffee stops before work .......... pre ^#^$# Covid that is.

They make decent food, and a good coffee.

image.png.17cf0c0c74ab8f32380b1221dd530526.png

13 hours ago, patches said:

????

I've done this before and it worked perfectly.  No need for a new cover.  You also don't need to drain all the oil (if you're not already planning on doing an oil change) as you can just lay the bike on its side.  

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

This used to be one of commuter coffee stops before work .......... pre ^#^$# Covid that is.

They make decent food, and a good coffee.

image.png.17cf0c0c74ab8f32380b1221dd530526.png

We enjoyed flat whites and carrot cake after dreaming about the bikes standing on the showroom. ????

On 8/22/2021 at 11:01 AM, patches said:

Was shifting stuff around in the garage and found an oil stain on the floor. So I started inspecting the Husky 450 and came across this

QNDivi8nyOcChQ8Q3dCmqjPlIEbxJHltz59TnemM2d0_xIYmM6WT1xMJI6xE9RwbU3TQW9EdO2qKcHImA_yxTjgpQ8Awf0kFaLUsL4cwCrIpAkthipro_s5NgqDzZYl5qdv1rdPCyrA_JYfxlDW8Kkp10d258jC0ijrtz0rlUZjWzOWts4-rP-pPsBVKni6ecGhKCI9zPtRFmfWRggNh0yP-3g4NSIx22l5nIFe4JLeluXlOY5OccDY0-QUZaTSsvwHoYSnNRPkeosmhMq2CEtCzcfP_KoLXflLmCL0htgaHM8mUMeziJxqBk8yFHBgtaxF79FKSpUPpEDHdJ4VOheEcNftL2Nu7zHpbKaTmxzMVolsIX_gzyAlOYJvI9fHJ5tFb1zH6P8gVN5aroK0lNxTzXYoZTgyz6Fnj4STUr_kgD7sieYj6YGLTjOrdIMUiW_tVPRJ54ocZbpuOUR2vnW1jrawG4CeEWH3SePDcxQYpFPtZa_1H7dqlJfPodxeL91L6BoMCfhVfSjExlN1YiH_kN-Cy6fsticuxinuJCNc7lz9-IJrrn_8YKIzvgo4YgPUAiw9JattbToi_rk_ZtKORDhlhYfuuZGP-k4r728gOz0xmZSyenviRBi7CDYJHvIke26KpARj56ylPVbhv13oqHqUueqFERWJY0XhtHH9o6ebefyBH-VXPcNyDBHffSWMR-m8gotoVDFs1agJ5Sq49=w511-h907-no?authuser=0

A crack in the ignition cover ????

I know how it happened (sidestand gave way on slippery driveway), but I didn't notice the damage at the time.

A new ignition cover will be around $200, but I see a number of KTM and Husky owners  who have also befallen the fate of "gear lever vs thin magnesium casing" have opted for the JB Weld ghetto fix.

Anyone here tried it before? Did it do the job?

Patch, what Husqvarna you have? Maybe we have something here we could ship to you. 

On 8/22/2021 at 11:45 PM, patches said:

????

You disappoint me.

By now I would have expected you to have build a forge and a sand cast box, cast a copy of that cover and then finished it off better than what the factory unit was.

11 hours ago, Gnarly said:

Patch, what Husqvarna you have? Maybe we have something here we could ship to you. 

It's a 2016 FE 450 and OEM version of the OEM version of the part is question is number: 78130002300KA.

Based on the bling I've seen in pic of yur shop, you guys probably do a lot of Hinson or Booysen upgrades too.

But yeah, PM me the cost of parts and shipping and maybe we can work something out!

Cheers Gnarly!

11 hours ago, Hairy said:

You disappoint me.

By now I would have expected you to have build a forge and a sand cast box, cast a copy of that cover and then finished it off better than what the factory unit was.

NZ level 4 lockdown rules strictly prohibit the building of forges, most other blacksmithing paraphernalia.

Jokes aside, I do have my eye on one of these at my local hardware store:

image.png.630397899f2377533b7ab06bdd09bc76.png

My welding skills are limited to watching my grandfather welding (and getting mild arc-eyes) and a few spot welds here and there in the mech workshops at uni. But I'm keen to learn, and the fact that this does MIG TIG and Arc is pretty cool!

3 hours ago, patches said:

It's a 2016 FE 450 and OEM version of the OEM version of the part is question is number: 78130002300KA.

Based on the bling I've seen in pic of yur shop, you guys probably do a lot of Hinson or Booysen upgrades too.

But yeah, PM me the cost of parts and shipping and maybe we can work something out!

Cheers Gnarly!

NZ level 4 lockdown rules strictly prohibit the building of forges, most other blacksmithing paraphernalia.

Jokes aside, I do have my eye on one of these at my local hardware store:

image.png.630397899f2377533b7ab06bdd09bc76.png

My welding skills are limited to watching my grandfather welding (and getting mild arc-eyes) and a few spot welds here and there in the mech workshops at uni. But I'm keen to learn, and the fact that this does MIG TIG and Arc is pretty cool!

I really need to stop reading your posts!! I need one of these in my life lol

58 minutes ago, GrahamS2 said:

I really need to stop reading your posts!! I need one of these in my life lol

Only 699 in Strayan shillings! ????

[EDIT/Aside thought]: A few weeks ago my wife and I were discussing the concept of a person's "wider economic impact" and how interesting it would be to graph/map it.

Kind like how they illustrate covid infection chains and. 1 person infects 2, they in turn each infect 1, but this infect onwards etc etc.

899 Pyramid Scheme Illustrations & Clip Art - iStock

This thought came about as we have a friend who has a passion for fine wining & dining, but also loves to try rope other people into it, so therefore the wider economic impact of their last minute Friday night "let's go out for dinner" could easily be 1000's of dollars.

At the time I was quite smug that my wider economic impact as such was pretty low, as I have a very unrefined palate and am happy with takeaway pizza or burgers. However your comment has got me thinking that perhaps I was looking at the wrong metric (food/entertainment) and my tool/gadget buying influences should be what I'm really measuring ????

[Aside thought over]

Edited by patches