Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

On 12/18/2021 at 7:21 AM, Hairy said:

Those look great, but please align that one screw head

image.png.8ef5a45b48dd66bfb7968cf43ee68bc9.png

9 hours ago, mazambaan said:

He he maybe a lesson to use allen heads or why phillips was invented 🙃. I thought that was a woodworking thing so we learn but how do you line up the slots if you torque the fasteners (maybe that is anal for screws)?  Grind a little off the thread?

Aaah, the old slotted  screws... in brass... 'tis a brave man/woman that attempts to firmly tighten those.

*side note regarding fasteners: this past weekend we were commissioning 2 negative pressure paediatric ICU rooms. After having rapidly (4 weeks) building CDC grade HEPA filtered air extract plant rooms, all the engineering, construction, controls programming, blood, sweat and tears involved, it was 2 stupid little screws on a door closer that nearly did us in. If the door doesn't close properly, the room doesn't seal and can't achieve negative pressure. and the 2 silly little phillips screws fastening the closer to the frame had stripped heads so we couldn't reposition the closer arm. TWO EFFING SCREWS!

• Replies 10k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, patches said:

Aaah, the old slotted  screws... in brass... 'tis a brave man/woman that attempts to firmly tighten those.

*side note regarding fasteners: this past weekend we were commissioning 2 negative pressure paediatric ICU rooms. After having rapidly (4 weeks) building CDC grade HEPA filtered air extract plant rooms, all the engineering, construction, controls programming, blood, sweat and tears involved, it was 2 stupid little screws on a door closer that nearly did us in. If the door doesn't close properly, the room doesn't seal and can't achieve negative pressure. and the 2 silly little phillips screws fastening the closer to the frame had stripped heads so we couldn't reposition the closer arm. TWO EFFING SCREWS!

specify torx hardware going forwards at the hospital?

I will remember that going forward for critical spaces like that.....and also education from the contractor letting his staff know what and why they are doing the work they are and if anything needs to be adjusted or replaced in the future they can not afford a stripped fixing as lives depend on it.

Edit: given your timelines, and the closer is a finishing piece the guys must have been under sever pressure and tired, and figured it is fixed in place and that is that ...... still a thousand other things to do before they leave for home.

Edited by Hairy

13 minutes ago, Hairy said:

specify torx hardware going forwards at the hospital?

I will remember that going forward for critical spaces like that.....and also education from the contractor letting his staff know what and why they are doing the work they are and if anything needs to be adjusted or replaced in the future they can not afford a stripped fixing as lives depend on it.

Edit: given your timelines, and the closer is a finishing piece the guys must have been under sever pressure and tired, and figured it is fixed in place and that is that ...... still a thousand other things to do before they leave for home.

Yeah, we we reinstated an existing manual door closer whilst waiting for the spindles on an automatically actuated one, so existing fasteners and hardware were used. And yeah, the guys have been pulling crazy hours. But yeah, a box of torx self tappers could have saved the day.

Anyway, enough about doors... back onto bikes (and even Hairy-esque)...

May be an image of motorcycle and nature

A couple of Kea's sitting on a Fat Boy overlooking the Southern Alps.

(Kea's are the worlds only Alpine Parrot. Extremely smart, but naughty buggers. They like stealing the rubber linings from car windscreens etc. No doubt they're plotting something with that Harley).

Edited by patches

35 minutes ago, patches said:

Yeah, we we reinstated an existing manual door closer whilst waiting for the spindles on an automatically actuated one, so existing fasteners and hardware were used. And yeah, the guys have been pulling crazy hours. But yeah, a box of torx self tappers could have saved the day.

(Kea's are the worlds only Alpine Parrot. Extremely smart, but naughty buggers. They like stealing the rubber linings from car windscreens etc. No doubt they're plotting something with that Harley).

😮❤️

10 hours ago, patches said:

Jeepers, stunning…the scenery that is. I need to visit NZ with my  Katoom. Cheaper to rent a bike I guess.

My new grips I got from Black Sheep Bikes was missing a fixing bolt ........... so I had to unfortunately ride ALL the way their via Durbanville Hills again ..... oh pity me :P

So back in the late 80's my Dad bought an old Oak desk from Iscor which he had converted into a coffee table.  Part of that conversion was to have the legs cut down so it was less desk, more table.  My Mom of course was disgusted that he dare cut the legs off an Oak desk so she made him keep the four pieces "just in case". This was also about the same time I got the Velo, and in my mind I was going to use one of the pieces to make the wooden ball on top of the gear selector shaft ( remember this bike has a hand-change).  I kept the one piece safe all these years and last week the Apprentices got a new task.....IMG-20211126-WA0006.jpg.db947676b3d5abc3f3cb440fa7692dc8.jpg

20211126_095036.jpg

20211126_095055.jpg

IMG-20211130-WA0000.jpg

FB_IMG_1638376324241.jpg

3 hours ago, dirtypot said:

Imagine how good it would be on a bike that could go around corners... :ph34r:

You mistake the Fat Bob for a typical Harley ......................... 

Edit ... my bike is great at corners .... makes me smile from one corners of my face to the other corner :P

Edited by Hairy

2 hours ago, Hairy said:

My new grips I got from Black Sheep Bikes was missing a fixing bolt ........... so I had to unfortunately ride ALL the way their via Durbanville Hills again ..... oh pity me :P

Which grips did you get? I’m considering replacement grips for my Street Glide... Will probably have to take the scenic route to Gold Rand Harley, all of 8km away as the crow flies, lol

1 hour ago, RoddieJ said:

Which grips did you get? I’m considering replacement grips for my Street Glide... Will probably have to take the scenic route to Gold Rand Harley, all of 8km away as the crow flies, lol

Let me clarify, the grips are for the YT, and Black Sheep Bikes is a really good trail orientated LBS at Hoogekraal ..... but Black Sheep Bikes would make a kick ass motorbike shop name too!

The HD was just a tool to get their and back ... twice :P