Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

theyt certainly are making a big thing about the honda and I cant wait to see it. Any idea what it will be priced at? I must say the other thing about the GS 800 / Triumph 800 is it is still much more affordable than the KTMs and GS 1200 which are stupid money

Apparently according to European pricing it will come in around R169K, depending on the rand/dollar I suppose.............

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently according to European pricing it will come in around R169K, depending on the rand/dollar I suppose.............

thats actually not a bad price for the amount of bike you are getting

ewep; apologies in a way and I take your point. I shouldn't be too quick to run the GS's down unless I have actually ridden one for some time, which I haven't. I have pushed a few in mud and sand, picked up pieces from a few and seen some really hair raising near accidents from maybe the early days when ABS was still used on gravel roads. Service can be iffy and expensive as parts seem to break easily (get water in the engine in Baviaans and it is epic). I wasn't there but read the tale. The rides I have been on (Alfies' DS rides, Rally Raid, Lesotho and in sand) the GS's have battled but it was really light bike country KTM 690, Honda XR 650 etc, possibly KTM 950's and 990's. I have two KTM's and I very seldom go over 150kph on either (RIP quite a few guys).

But the GS's are comfortable (two up also) over the KTM plank, have a lowish seat height and low first gear. Great for good gravel roads and SA's poor tar roads and seemingly pleasant club rides - I know a few of the members.

"My GS goes most places the 2 strokes go in the Inanda valley in Kzn!" well maybe on the gravel roads otherwise I don't think so unless the standard of rider has dropped hugely.

Horses for courses MB.  I rode the GS and never had issues.  Honestly, BMW's services are the same as other bikes (except the bloody RR!!).  The GS' service cost about the same as 2 mates who respectively rode a Super Ten and a Triumph.  On picking up parts, having issues, once again, depends on where you are, and who you are with!  My issue with the KTM's are the same as yours with the BMW's, parts pricing.  But I also think that this depends on your dealership (I wanted a 990 Adventure, but was told I don't have it in me to ride one).

As I said before, what do you want to get out of your bike? Technical stuff, KTM and the ones you mentioned.  Long distance touring only on tar, Kawa GTR or BM 1600GTL, etc.

O ja, I'm a brand whore!  If it has 2 wheels I'll ride it, even a Bajaj!!

So there is a new option besides the standard(boring?) trio of BMW/KTM/Triumph.

If you can wait, Honda has just launched the new African twin, due 2016 or maybe sooner. 1000cc in-line twin.

Looks to be an absolute stunner and the initial reviews are very favourable too.

Would be the best offroad performer too, and the road riding wouldn't be bad either.

Best part if it has a proper front maudgaurd instead of the standard, IMO horrific looking, beak of the other big brands. Well worth a look.

See pic below and link beneath that for more info.....

attachicon.gif1327591Honda-Africa-Twin-2016-2780x390.jpg

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/honda-africa-twin-crf1000l-leaked-video/

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/bikes/2016-honda-africa-twin-crf1000l-more-photos/

Beautiful, but untested.  And that is my issue with the Twin.  Give it to the second generation (just like the GS LC, KTM and Super Ten) and we might have the best bike around!!

*edit - Spelling

Edited by ewep

Morning All, I am looking for recommendations in the Gauteng area for a spray painter. I will be doing a massive clean, bearing replacement strip down of my FZR1000 and wish to have the plastic panels all resprayed in the original colours/graphics.

There is minor damage to some of the panels that would need repairing.

Thanks in advance for any info/advice!post-52292-0-29481500-1438933546_thumb.jpg

Edited.spelling

Edited by Spokey

So in case anyone is wondering what has happened to the progress on the DT..... It's about 95% done - oil, Coolant and Petrol away from being ridden. Unfortunately, that's how it will be for the next 2months I guess as the builders finish the renovations. I missed the completion date by one week :cursing:

The tank and seat are in that wooden box.....

Is that a DT200 you are rebuilding?

Morning All, I am looking for recommendations in the Gauteng area for a spray painter. I will be doing a massive clean, bearing replacement strip down of my FZR1000 and wish to have the plastic panels all resprayed in the original colours/graphics.

There is minor damage to some of the panels that would need repairing.

Thanks in advance for any info/advice! image.jpg

Edited.spelling

One-eyed Eric in Edenvale. Brilliant craftsman. Number to follow.

Is that a DT200 you are rebuilding?

Yup - had one at University and I decided to look for another one.  Managed to find quite a nice one in Cape Town, but then couldn't leave well alone, so I pulled it to pieces and rebuilt it!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, I have not been on a bike for a couple of years. What bikes can you recommend for running around and the occasional coffee run. 

My previous bike was a 200cc cruiser.

So the requirements will be something that I can actually reach 120 km/h on. My wife and I together hit the scale at 150. 

And please keep in mind a lower budget. 

Hi guys, I have not been on a bike for a couple of years. What bikes can you recommend for running around and the occasional coffee run. 

My previous bike was a 200cc cruiser.

So the requirements will be something that I can actually reach 120 km/h on. My wife and I together hit the scale at 150. 

And please keep in mind a lower budget. 

I'd say to get to and go comfortably at 120km while 2 up, you'd probably need to look at something with at least a 600cc motor.

I use a little Honda CBX 250 Twister as a commuter, riding 25km a day to the Centurion Gautrain station and back. While it's the perfect tool for the job(in town riding), giving 30km/l, I cant help but itch for more horses.

Taking the Twister on the highway is absolutely frightening. It tops out at 120km/h and not being able to get some space between yourself and other vehicles more or less doing the speed limit is nerve wrecking to say the least.

While looking for a bigger bike I'd like to use it to cruise out to Harties on a Sunday arvi with the Missus on the back, but it also needs to be my daily commuter. 

The bikes on my shortlist are:

Kawasaki KLE 650 Versys (I like the look for some reason. Reviews reckon its more playful than others in it's class. Second hand they go for R35k and up. Currently a special on 2014 models off the floor for R65k),

Honda NC700 (also like the look. while it's very economical at 30km/l but reviews say it's a bit lazy and revs weird for a 700. Second hand they go from R48k ish),

Kawasaki ER6F (I really like the look of these, esp the newer models. You can pic up second hand 2008 models from R35k ish)

Other bikes that often make me wonder are:

Suzuki 650 V strom and SV.

And then there are them CBRs...

Edited by MaxUmis

Other bikes that often make me wonder are:

Suzuki 650 V strom 

This actually also caught my eyes. Lot of bike for a reasonable price. 

NC750X . No more new NC700 but lotsa 2nd hand ones around .

IT does rev a bit weird , red line at 6500 . IT will cruize very easy at 160 one up and expect anything from 3.5 to 3l/100km . 'it is a commuted and not a Adventure bike , cruizer or Soupabike . Service intervals : 12000km

Versus got a bit more under the belt and can make you go whoo-hooo if you run the rev-limits but gets very thirsty . Normal conditions 4.5 to 5l/100km . Service intervals : 8000km