Is motorcycling allowed?

Guest EdEdEd

The Hornet is a good bike, but a bit dull and characterless to ride.

RE: the NC - the issues with power and weird gearing was fixed on the 'upgraded' model when they bumped it up to a 750.  It's still a bit of an odd ball in that it makes its power much lower down in the rev range and it just makes more noise if you rev it out instead of actually going any faster.  But once you get used to that and rather short shift, then its great.  Fantastic commuter bike, and you can fit a helmet under the 'tank' too.  I like it.

The SV is a great option too, it just feels a little spartan when you climb on after being on other bikes.  But that's made up for by the sound (if it's got a different pipe).  And doubly made up for if you get the 1000  :devil:

But for general commuting hooliganism you can't beat a supermoto  :thumbup:

http://pre02.deviantart.net/df39/th/pre/i/2011/083/9/3/ktm_690_smc_supermoto_2_by_coldf-d3cdh03.jpg

• Replies 10.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Hornet is a good bike, but a bit dull and characterless to ride.

RE: the NC - the issues with power and weird gearing was fixed on the 'upgraded' model when they bumped it up to a 750.  It's still a bit of an odd ball in that it makes its power much lower down in the rev range and it just makes more noise if you rev it out instead of actually going any faster.  But once you get used to that and rather short shift, then its great.  Fantastic commuter bike, and you can fit a helmet under the 'tank' too.  I like it.

The SV is a great option too, it just feels a little spartan when you climb on after being on other bikes.  But that's made up for by the sound (if it's got a different pipe).  And doubly made up for if you get the 1000  :devil:

But for general commuting hooliganism you can't beat a supermoto  :thumbup:

http://pre02.deviantart.net/df39/th/pre/i/2011/083/9/3/ktm_690_smc_supermoto_2_by_coldf-d3cdh03.jpg

Which supermoto are you referring to?

I had a KTM 690 in the UK and loved it.

It had Maxxis intermediates on it and I used it right through the year.  Plenty of power to lift the front whenever I wanted (which was all the time) and keep it there.  And it was fast enough on the freeway that it starts to get hard to hang on, and you really feel the pressure on your chest.  But that's not what it's all about - keep it in town and you'll have stacks of fun!

I had a Kawa 636 at the same time, but that hardly got ridden as it was nowhere near as exciting to ride unless I went far above legal speeds.  

Not that the supermoto is any more legal in the way that I rode it, but it was at least slower speeds!

I've just sold my Triumph Bonneville and bought a Yamaha Fazer FZ6 - Triumph was brilliant - full of character, but as a commuter, I'm afraid you cant beat the Fazer.  And damn underrated too - I bought mine with 21000km for R30K!  Seems like no-one wants them.

SV (both 650 and 1000) are AWESOME bike.  Lower top end compared to the other bikes in class, but the torque and MAN the sound!!!!  EISH.  And the pillion seat is not too shabby.

I rode the NC750.  Very nice bike but also found the gering a bit weird.

The Hornets are short, comfortable nakeds.  If you are however planning on doing any riding over 150km then I would advice against it.  To give you an idea, lie on your back on the bed, shoulders on the edge of the bed and neck and head hanging off.  Now make short, sharp  movements with your head.  O ja, add 1-2kg weight to your forehead.  That's a naked at speed.

The Versys is the same as the NC.

Personally, SV (1000 if you can), NC750 and then the rest.

SV (both 650 and 1000) are AWESOME bike.  Lower top end compared to the other bikes in class, but the torque and MAN the sound!!!!  EISH.  And the pillion seat is not too shabby.

The Hornets are short, comfortable nakeds.  If you are however planning on doing any riding over 150km then I would advice against it.  To give you an idea, lie on your back on the bed, shoulders on the edge of the bed and neck and head hanging off.  Now make short, sharp  movements with your head.  O ja, add 1-2kg weight to your forehead.  That's a naked at speed.

How dare you !!!!! 

Have you ridden a Versys? 

The NC is a scooter... 

On my 19th GS/GSA - hardened Boxer motor fan, who refuses to go LC. Whatever an Adventure doesn't go over, it goes thru :eek:

Very cool and interesting paint scheme.