Against the cold

Dinkymoo

Hey everyone,

I'm fairly new to cycling, so this will be my first winter cycling experience. Any suggestions on keeping warm? What to buy? What not to buy?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone,

I'm fairly new to cycling, so this will be my first winter cycling experience. Any suggestions on keeping warm? What to buy? What not to buy?

I try stay in bed but my mates have other ideas all the time and call me names I dont like... so I cant back out.

Leg warmers, arm warmers and gillet will get you by... I try avoid leg warmers, they are a pain when you need to get rid of them on a ride with all the other stuff

Hey everyone,

Newspaper in the front of your jersey to keep your chest warm.Throw it in a bin when you warm up.

Dress in layers and good quality moisture wicking kit.

Hey everyone,

3 key things

Keep the extremities warm - toes/fingers, get proper gloves and fleece socks and thermal booties

Keep the core warm - base layer and several more layers, get winter type jacket for cycling

Keep the head covered - cycling collar of buff is essential to cover nose, throat and ears

I try stay in bed but my mates have other ideas all the time and call me names I dont like... so I cant back out.

Leg warmers, arm warmers and gillet will get you by... I try avoid leg warmers, they are a pain when you need to get rid of them on a ride with all the other stuff

you know it....

I whish i had advice for you…..thing is i need motivation getting out of the warm bed before i can even think of what to wear for a ride…. lol

If your a roadie… always have a newspaper in front of jersey, 2 pairs of socks or toe caps…and never ever forget that gloves… i have normal ones and then wear those cheap wooly ones over that, later when you warmed up you should be fine! And if its possible… take a arm water bottle with you and some coffee… never tried it but it comes to mind…hehe

3 years ago at stormsriver traverse was very cold and rained and rained.my team mate went the newspaper route.every evening he looked like those upper body tatooed rugby players from nz.

the wind chill is a bitch so if you put anything on never forget the windproof thing in the end.layered clothing works for me with fleece socks and warm gloves.i try to keep the ears warm as well.so ears,hand feet.follow dale's advice and you should be fine.

If your a roadie… always have a newspaper in front of jersey

Said newspaper is to read when you stop for coffee? :whistling:

the alt is to go and ride on the coldest day you can find with as little clothing as possible.all rides thereafter will feel warm and just think i have seen worse.

Not that cold in Gauteng. Man up and go ride!

PS: Your training is behind schedule :ph34r:

Not that cold in Gauteng. Man up and go ride!

PS: Your training is behind schedule :ph34r:

Listen to these wise words chukky....oom is talking about rule 9 here....