Who else is sick at the moment?

Herniated my l5/s1 disc, again (4th time in 7 years). Eish. Looks like I am gonna be off the bike for a while...

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Herniated my l5/s1 disc, again (4th time in 7 years). Eish. Looks like I am gonna be off the bike for a while...

That sounds sore. What do you keep doing to do this?

Had a virus of sorts on and off for the past 3 years turns out it EBV which hits me every time I try train harder than normal . 

Does not matter what you take and even rest does not always help but slowly coming right .

Very frustrating when you are used to riding 3 to 4 times a week .

• 2 weeks later...

Wanted to go out cycling but have glands on both sides of my jaw that is swollen and I think it is not from my medical condition. The roof part of my mouth is also sore and rather painful but not bleeding yet. Had a little gum bleed brushing my teeth so have to switch back to mouth wash.

Had a bit of trouble speaking as well, but might be the exposure to the sick people at the Department of Labour that might have infected me. So will monitor it this weekend and try to get more rest before next weeks treatment session

Been out for two weeks now with a "viral inflamation in the blood". Didnt even know such a thing was possible but there you go. Blood test shows the values should be between 0-6, doc normally puts anyone over 20 in hospital as thats severe, mine came back at 24. Coming right now though. Hoping to ride again from next week but will see how it goes

This time of year. Been off the bike for the whole week. Got the flu, wife had bronchitus(spelling).

Very frustrating as I was just getting back to fitness. Reboot and start again next week hopefully!

This time of year. Been off the bike for the whole week. Got the flu, wife had bronchitus(spelling).

Very frustrating as I was just getting back to fitness. Reboot and start again next week hopefully!

+1

I feel your pain... I am struggling with a stomach flu and just feel fatigued. Loved it that I always get sick when I am really getting good form on the bike.

But alas, your health is always more important.

Edited by Andrew_Smith

I have stopped commuting since March/April. Had some weekend rides tho. 

Today I feel almost as bad as I did about 2 months back.

Long story short, I was in a similar boat as Cois. My growth was not cancerous, thank God. This was 3 years ago. 

So around mid March I dont feel so well. Eventually go to doc/ hospital, Discovery dont let you book into hospital any more with out getting all tests done. So good bye daily savings!!!! after all my tests.

It turns out that there adhesions that have torn.

Today I feel flat broken and sore. At least the pain is not as bad as when the adhesions tore. That was probably the worst pain I have ever experienced!

I have stopped commuting since March/April. Had some weekend rides tho. 

Today I feel almost as bad as I did about 2 months back.

Long story short, I was in a similar boat as Cois. My growth was not cancerous, thank God. This was 3 years ago. 

So around mid March I dont feel so well. Eventually go to doc/ hospital, Discovery dont let you book into hospital any more with out getting all tests done. So good bye daily savings!!!! after all my tests.

It turns out that there adhesions that have torn.

Today I feel flat broken and sore. At least the pain is not as bad as when the adhesions tore. That was probably the worst pain I have ever experienced!

Sorry to hear. Hope you recover soon.

Excuse my ignorance but what are adhesions?

I know exactly how you feel! Been dealing with mine at l5/s1 since February and it still isn't 100%. I have a central prolapse to make matters worse, pushing against the spinal canal and causing signal loss. Been chewing Coxleon and Ultracet like smarties.

Hope you come right.

Sorry to hear. Hope you recover soon.

Excuse my ignorance but what are adhesions?

Getting there, I hope, Thanks.

Adhesions are tears, where you wound has joined and then it tears on the inside. Well something like that.

Getting there, I hope, Thanks.

Adhesions are tears, where you wound has joined and then it tears on the inside. Well something like that.

Darn bud, hope you heal soon. Not nice to get such a freaking scare!

This is sort of an every day worry for me. What if I sneeze and I tear the sites of weakness created by incompetence and lack of attention on the doctors side.

And the constant hiccups are starting to get to me. Not funny anymore

This is sort of an every day worry for me. What if I sneeze and I tear the sites of weakness created by incompetence and lack of attention on the doctors side.

I was scared of that with fresh wounds and while healing. Once healed its not an issue. But the doctors couldnt tell me what caused it, but I suspect it was due to overstretching to reach something.

That sounds sore. What do you keep doing to do this?

Happened for the first time lifting a tree (to plant in the garden). I was being impatient and did not wait for the guy helping me - wore plakkies too, and as I was walking tripped and lost my balance, as I corrected to stop myself falling forward the disc went. From there it was silly things like lifting a bicycle onto the bakkie or moving furniture. This specific time it was a power lifting movement - a snatch. I have gone 3 years now without issues, and I am in good shape in the gym, so it was very unexpected - esepcially since it was during warm-up and with very little weight. But that is usually how it happens - because you don't expect it to go at that moment...

I know exactly how you feel! Been dealing with mine at l5/s1 since February and it still isn't 100%. I have a central prolapse to make matters worse, pushing against the spinal canal and causing signal loss. Been chewing Coxleon and Ultracet like smarties.

Hope you come right.

Eina, hope you come right soon - it is one of those injuries that tend to stick around for life unfortunately. I also tend to eat tramadol more than I should.