To Camelbak or Not to Camelbak

CraigCCW

I've been here and turned back. On the Lowveld Quest packed far too much junk in my Camelpack and dumped it after day 1. repacked the basics into jersey pockets. My bike only has 1 bottle cage so the 2nd bottle was also in the jersey pocket. this is also a problem as you end up with the jersey zip pulling into your throat while riding because of all the weight.

The next plan worked the best. Mounted a bottle cage on the seat post and got one of those tool bottles to carry all the tools. I also taped / strapped my spare tube under the back of my seat and mounted 2 CO2 brackets, 1 on the tool carrier cage on the seat post and 1 on the bottle cage on the frame, so I could carry 4 CO2 bombs. I also managed to place 2 bombs in the tool bottle so I could have 6 in total (don't carry a pump at all). The only stuff in my jersey was 2nd bottle and food.

I first drink from the bottle in my jersey to get rid of the weight out of the jersey first.

On long stage races I carry 2 zip lock bags filled with a measured amount of energy powder and refill bottles at each water point. 1 with water and 1 with energy drink

Then I bought a dropper post !!!! and can no longer mount everything under my seat so i'm back to the Camelbak solution.

My next idea is to get a tool bag made that will snugly fit inside the triangle at the front for all the tools and spare tubes, and dump the camelpak again.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tape a tube to my bike. I have a pouch that goes in my pocket. It has 2 bombs, a bomb adapter, tyre levers and a multitool. Also a master link for chain and a spare dropper. Phone and food goes in other 2 pockets. Only really use food on races, and then use a small spare phone.

1 bottle on bike, and on longer races a 2nd bottle.

I used to use a camelback, but prefer without.

I don't carry tools and repair stuff with me. If I have a technical, I wait for other riders to help me out. I promise to repay them but never do.

If they don't stop, I start a thread on the hub about riders that don't help others.

p.s. I also ignore other riders who greet on the road.

Camelbak. Actaully a Dakine, but it's still a hydration pack. I fit everything in there. Kneepads, elbow pads, gloves, tools, spares, bike lock, jacket, goggles, etc etc. I'm generally the oke that gets ripped off at the parking lot for having a bag that weighs more than my bike, until someone in the group needs that item that only I am carrying.

Plus it's extra training for me. And I need as much as I can get.

Edited by cpt armpies mayhem

I use a bottle cage tool bottle and a small saddle bag to hold the tube if im doing a ride less than 45km or a half marathon type distance. Keeps everything neat and tidy.

If you do an Enduro with bottles you are going to be very thirsty cause you not gonna have bottles left so a pack is the best thing. Also if you ride with bottles they get full of dust,mud and cow shite.

how long is a piece of string?

some guys will swear by a camelbak...other end of the spectrum will castigate you for having a saddlebag.

What works for you is best - and don't do what the pros do just because that's what they do.

I maintain that camelbaks def have their advantages, Burry would never have wiped in that one epic when he was drinking from his bottle and llost concentration..but then again he might not have been able to refill it as quickly at the waterpoint.

I don't carry tools and repair stuff with me. If I have a technical, I wait for other riders to help me out. I promise to repay them but never do.

If they don't stop, I start a thread on the hub about riders that don't help others.

It's only due to my extensive training in ju jitsukoda martial arts that I have mastered the self control not to obliterate people like you. :ph34r:

Personal preference I would say, normally on races I stuff my pockets, saddle bag and tape what is left to the bike.

Long training rides... camelback purely due to the fact that you can't always plan for a water point where as in a race you can plan your consumption before hand.

I need camel back to pack half my tool box, steak sandwiches and beer. Also protects my cellphone in a fall, so i can dial for help, if im still conscious. It sometimes carry my Fullface if im going to do something stupid

Wahahaha yea Braailegend and you need your power tools to fix whatever you is broken on the trail.You have given me an idea with the beer now.

It's only due to my extensive training in ju jitsukoda martial arts that I have mastered the self control not to obliterate people like you. :ph34r:

Strange...thanks to my Jits training, I now cycle.... :eek:

Wahahaha yea Braailegend and you need your power tools to fix whatever you is broken on the trail.You have given me an idea with the beer now.

Im so behind the tech curve, i still need a #15 spanner to get my wheels of. Just an allenkey is not going to cut it, not to mention a pump and 3 or 4 tubes... not very racing orientated, haha. Every now and again i do a race, but mostly sit around chowing down and enjoying the view. Also cant play the Good guy with extra tube, as my midget tubes dont fit the big&rich peoples wheels, haha

Also if you ride with bottles they get full of dust,mud and cow shite.

I also just cannot get past a mouthful of mud or cow shyte. Camelbak for the MTB, bottles for the road. And yes, I swing both ways.

For me it's Camelbak (I use a different make). Everything in one spot and tucked away. No bottles flying out and leaving you thirsty, no dirt and grit in the mouth piece, not losing the co2 adaptor and standing waiting for some one to come past. Place for all the kit you need (and others need - I think I've helped more people than I've actually had to repair my self), knee pads, jacket, food (occasionally fold up spade) blah, blah.

But it's horse for courses as I prefer trail and I'm not a big on mtb races. My road jerseys have pockets (and I don't wear a pack in races) but my off road stuff doesn't. If I was really pumping it I'm sure a back pack would bug the hell out of me, I'd be wearing pocketed jerseys (and probably good amounts of lycra) and also wouldn't need a ton of stuff. Also with a (name) dropper post, a saddle bag isn't an option.

I think I leant you a bomb once.................. :whistling:

Don't tell the hub police but I rode my tri bike this weekend with my camelbak, it's a small one and took the bladder out and just used it for stuff like lunch and rain jacket

Edit sp damn apple thing

Edited by SwissVan