• Edgar Wright
    • Michael Bay

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

post-12015-0-97070800-1403808728_thumb.jpg

Yup, Jack Nicholson at his best. Another great actor, "One flew over the cuckoo's nest, A few good men, About Schmidt, The Pledge - all thought provoking movies that relied on real people and good old fashioned acting skills to act out a plot and tell a story, not gratuitous violence, unbelievable stories and re manufactured graphic images from a computer laboratory.

Bill Murray is another actor worthy of some note, Groundhog day, Grand hotel Budapest, Lost in translation, all groundbreaking movies that have survived the test of time.

Okay, include Ghostbusters too, not my kind of movie but still around and popular as ever today.

Yup, Jack Nicholson at his best. Another great actor, "One flew over the cuckoo's nest, A few good men, About Schmidt, The Pledge - all thought provoking movies that relied on real people and good old fashioned acting skills to act out a plot and tell a story, not gratuitous violence, unbelievable stories and re manufactured graphic images from a computer laboratory.

Bill Murray is another actor worthy of some note, Groundhog day, Grand hotel Budapest, Lost in translation, all groundbreaking movies that have survived the test of time.

Okay, include Ghostbusters too, not my kind of movie but still around and popular as ever today.

and the underrated kingpin with another favourite of mine...woody harrelson...brilliant little movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GGt0T-gZ8Y

P.s. thats heath ledger joker.....Jack was heaps better

Edited by Stretch

Re: Dr Strangelove, Cold War classic, brilliant acting by Peter Sellers (plays a few different characters). Most here know him by the Pink Panther series, but that's pale acting to what he did before that. He was also in Kubrick's 1962 "Lolita" - that is a great film as well: direction, acting and delving into the dark side. Kubrick has done some fantastic films, "Clockwork Orange" was banned here in 70's, the closest I got to that was the spoof in Mad Magazine, but yeah, a classic in my collection.

http://bronxbanter.arneson.name/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/PHOTO_4990199_66470_8954968_main.jpg

Talking dark side, Roman Polanski has made some brilliant films, Repulsion (1965) will leave you slightly unnerved. There there was Rosemary's Baby (1968) , Chinatown (1974), The Pianist (2002) The Ghost Writer (2010) to name but a few of my favs.

Anyone seen any of Steve McQueens films? I haven't seen his latest, the highly acclaimed "12 years a slave", his films are excellent art works, but not easy viewing.

Another VERY good movie I saw recently - Edge of Tomorrow. Brilliant performances from both Tom Cruise & Emily Blunt. Set the bar for Sci-Fi movies this year, IMO

this might be a contender. Limitless on steroids!!!

I have not read through this whole thread but if nobody has said The Big Lebowski then this thread is pointless and should be shut down.

The dude abides

Re: Dr Strangelove, Cold War classic, brilliant acting by Peter Sellers (plays a few different characters). Most here know him by the Pink Panther series, but that's pale acting to what he did before that. He was also in Kubrick's 1962 "Lolita" - that is a great film as well: direction, acting and delving into the dark side. Kubrick has done some fantastic films, "Clockwork Orange" was banned here in 70's, the closest I got to that was the spoof in Mad Magazine, but yeah, a classic in my collection.

Loved Kubrick's work. Was disappointed that his last movie, Eyes Wide Shut, was such a crap film.

Loved Kubrick's work. Was disappointed that his last movie, Eyes Wide Shut, was such a crap film.

Ditto, but I think that had a lot to do with Tom Cruise.

Ditto, but I think that had a lot to do with Tom Cruise.

True! And Nicole Kidman's attempt at acting stoned was atrocious.

It had elements... The score was fantastic.. But overall between.. Nicole Kidman and the cruise.... Not a favourite