[Event] MTN National MTB Series #8 Ride Crater Cruise Driven By NISSAN

WesselvdWalt

You confuse me.

You say the route was fantastic but 70% of it was ***? Which is it?

The quotes aren't showing up anymore. Someone else said it was fantastic.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure why you guys are complaining, thought the water points were more than adequate, well stocked and lots of them. And is someone seriously complaining because there was an extra water point they didnt know about? So what, maybe the organisers added it in because it was so hot. Go do some PPA road races in the Cape in Stellenbosch summer where they run out of water and you get heat stroke. 

I was in batch E so didnt notice any bottlenecks.

Other than  that, quite a tough 80km in 4hrs34, not sure if it was the heat affecting me. I was looking forward to swimming but it seems you guys here in the Highveld dont like a refreshing dip like the Cape cyclists? 

Nice meeting Riana and a group of triathletes from Pretoria, hello to the hubbers from that crowd. 

Cant find the full results on SAS can anyone post a link? both ultra and marathon cut off early!?

Edited by CleatsnCleavage

Nah.. just the water point next to the river normally has awesome treats, mini tarts, vetkoek, energy drinks, coke etc.. you also normally end up spending a lot of time there cooling off in the river etc.. so that's my only disappointment regarding water points lol

Edited by Gen

Long day! ,but made it under 6hours in the ultra .Saw a lot of cramping riders along they way .my only serious cramp was on top of the bridge at the finish ,i managed to hide it from the fans and finish like a man .Several of us measured temperatures at 39 and 40 degrees celsius .Water tables were sufficient and i used most of them .Good event, my first CC . On a really hot day this will be dangerously hot !

I was in batch E so didnt notice any bottlenecks.

Other than  that, quite a tough 80km in 4hrs34,

I dropped back to E from B and rode with a mate.

We also did just over 4:30.

What were you riding and what kit were you wearing ? We probably encountered one another on the road?

My first crater cruise.

That's the bumpiest race I have ever done. Forearms got a proper workout there.

I will be back for the next one.

I ordered those MTN socks and got hot foot with 15 km's to go. It started off with my right foot but by the time I finished it was in both feet.

This seems to happen with thicker socks. Doesn't happen with thinner socks. Had the same thing with the Cullinan Trailseeker. Also wore thicker socks there. No more. Is it my shoes?

Edited by Muggins

My wife and I (In Food Lover's Market kit - Batch E) did our first marathon after starting mountain biking a year ago. Finished in 4:40. Garmin measured an average temp of 32 and max of 39. The route was everything I expected from what I had read. The water points were great and at just the correct distances apart. Thanks to all the volunteers involved cause without them it would not be possible. It grates me a little reading about all the complaints on here with regards to the water points. Without these people, the events wouldn't be possible. The behavior of all the adult competitors was great except for the teenagers doing the 25km. My wife and I almost got taken out by a few of them on the single track just before their turn-off. I had a big smile on my face when I saw the same teenagers on the tar road having to turn around because they missed their turn-off. So if your son was at the front end of the 25km race, please teach them some etiquette.

My wife and I (In Food Lover's Market kit - Batch E) did our first marathon after starting mountain biking a year ago. Finished in 4:40. Garmin measured an average temp of 32 and max of 39. The route was everything I expected from what I had read. The water points were great and at just the correct distances apart. Thanks to all the volunteers involved cause without them it would not be possible. It grates me a little reading about all the complaints on here with regards to the water points. Without these people, the events wouldn't be possible. The behavior of all the adult competitors was great except for the teenagers doing the 25km. My wife and I almost got taken out by a few of them on the single track just before their turn-off. I had a big smile on my face when I saw the same teenagers on the tar road having to turn around because they missed their turn-off. So if your son was at the front end of the 25km race, please teach them some etiquette.

Well said. There were guys at every gate that was open. A lot of co-operation from the land owners. I was at the front end and thanked them. One even returned the compliment by saying, "Welcome Dad".  :thumbup:

Personally I think the Crater Cruise has lost its charm. The organisation was good, as usual, but the race has gotten extremely generic.

It used to be that the water points had a lot more vibe and individuality since the locals had more input in the rest stops. Nowadays I can rely on only getting USN (which I cannot stomach) or water, and some bananas. I remember just a few years back being given small packets of gummi sweets, koeksisters and similar home made goods. Often families brought their kids, and were just so happy to be able to help in any way possible.

The only water point that stood out in my mind was the one on the corrugated road. The people there were so helpful and friendly. Apparently the had to get special permission from the organisers to be able to serve Coke (which I think is a joke -not everyone drinks USN) and were very liberal with adding ice to the water I was carrying to help with the heat.

Also badly organised was that the gap between the 25km and 80km starts was not long enough, causing the teenagers catching the slower of the marathon riders and forcing us off the single track whilst barrelling past without even a word of acknowledgement.

Personally I think this race has suffered from being included in the Nissan series. Its become interchangable with any other event and I don't know whether I will be back.

So then does the sponsor tie-up with USN exclude the serving of other brands softdrinks at the water points? (Coke, Powerade etc) Possibly also explains why you get handed their caffeinated energy drink at the finish. Pity the organisers don't put their paying customers needs/wants first.

Fortunately I packed enough frozen Powerade to last me the race so I didn't have to drink those foul tasting USN products, and have less will now to use any USN product given their arrogant force-feeding marketing tactics.

And not that I stop much at water points, but in the earlier editions they did have much more local flavour, but its happened at other Adventurance events as well. More business, less soul imho.

Edited by kosmonooit

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if they had such a clause in their sponsorship agreement. All it does is make me want to take part in their sponsored events less. I don't buy USN products and never will.

Throwing money at an event does not make it better if it comes with a big dose of ego. What happens is the in the end it negatively affects the participants.

I turned down their drink all along the way, and the caffeinated liquid sugar at the end. I'll rather drink the not-so-great tasting Parys water.

So then does the sponsor tie-up with USN exclude the serving of other brands softdrinks at the water points? (Coke, Powerade etc) Possibly also explains why you get handed their caffeinated energy drink at the finish. Pity the organisers don't put their paying customers needs/wants first.

Fortunately I packed enough frozen Powerade to last me the race so I didn't have to drink those foul tasting USN products, and have less will now to use any USN product given their arrogant force-feeding marketing tactics.

And not that I stop much at water points, but in the earlier editions they did have much more local flavour, but its happened at other Adventurance events as well. More business, less soul imho.

I like the new route on the Ultra,brings a nice relief from the boring district road so a big up on that.

On the down side the bottleneck at the 1st single track but can be sorted with a little bridge and batching.

A BIG dissapointment was the water tables only 1 worth mentioning was the Squirt table where we got Ice and some other nice things.Please revert back to the old tables and the "LEKA" vibes.

A Big thank you to TORQ cycles for helping my wife with her bike really appreciated fellows.

Will I be back.............more than likely!!

Thanx Wessel and the guys from Advendurance. I enjoyed the race both the marathon and the half marathon, felt that there was enough water points and I feel that bananas and patatos are enough food for me thanx. I will go to the Spur after the ride if I want gourmet dining. Thanx for everything, you can never keep everyone happy as there will always be people complaining about stuff even at the greatest races in the series. Thanx for everything!!!

Thanx Wessel and the guys from Advendurance. I enjoyed the race both the marathon and the half marathon, felt that there was enough water points and I feel that bananas and patatos are enough food for me thanx. I will go to the Spur after the ride if I want gourmet dining. Thanx for everything, you can never keep everyone happy as there will always be people complaining about stuff even at the greatest races in the series. Thanx for everything!!!

Since when does Spur count as gourmet dining??? That food is more likely to come back out the way its come in... Pretty much the same with the USN stuff.

Its just an observation from someone who has multiple Crater Cruises under their belt that it has lost its soul. Good organisation, enough water points, and yes, bananas and potatoes are enough for basic food. But considering how the race used to be, I know that it could be so much more.