Who remembers?

DPG

Was all fun and games until the pole came loose in the ground.  Then it became see who can hit the pole out of the ground....

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'man-of-war' as my Dad called them when I was a kid. Lived in PE and got stung many a time [emoji1786]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

luckily we only get bluebottles in PE and man-of-wars (men-of-war?). You get those in Austrlia and they can kill you.

'man-of-war' as my Dad called them when I was a kid. Lived in PE and got stung many a time [emoji1786]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

luckily we only get bluebottles in PE and man-of-wars (men-of-war?). You get those in Austrlia and they can kill you.

Welllll.... The name Bluebottle used to refer to the ones found in the indian ocean, going by the name Physalia Utriculus, and the PMoW was the Physalia Physalis, which is bigger & has more tentacles. Now, the species have been lumped together as one under the Physalia Physalis, and the names (bluebottle and PMoW) are interchangeable. 

PMoW below. 

Yes, yes. I know. I was very interested in them as a kid. My old man's warnings were well adhered to, and they were all over the place in Durbs at certain times. 

portuguese-man-of-war_thumb.ngsversion.1

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

Welllll.... The name Bluebottle used to refer to the ones found in the indian ocean, going by the name Physalia Utriculus, and the PMoW was the Physalia Physalis, which is bigger & has more tentacles. Now, the species have been lumped together as one under the Physalia Physalis, and the names (bluebottle and PMoW) are interchangeable. 

PMoW below. 

Yes, yes. I know. I was very interested in them as a kid. My old man's warnings were well adhered to, and they were all over the place in Durbs at certain times. 

portuguese-man-of-war_thumb.ngsversion.1

Despite what people think, they don't just drift with the wind, they actually steer and sail in a direction down and across the wind direction. The tentacles function like a sea anchor and they can inflate and change the shape of the sail to alter their direction. How they decide where to aim for, THATS an interesting question?!

Edit: How they know to aim for the beach where I go swimming, THAT'S the REAL question?!

Edited by DJR

Despite what people think, they don't just drift with the wind, they actually steer and sail in a direction down and across the wind direction. The tentacles function like a sea anchor and they can inflate and change the shape of the sail to alter their direction. How they decide where to aim for, THATS an interesting question?!

it's separate organisms, that have a symbiotic relationship. 

they go with the wind and current... 

Edit: Was wrong about the number of separate types of organisms. 

Habitat[edit]

The Atlantic Portuguese man o' war lives at the surface of the ocean. The gas-filled bladder, or pneumatophore, remains at the surface, while the remainder is submerged.[6] As the Portuguese man o' war has no means of propulsion, they move according to the winds, currents, and tides. Although they are most commonly found in the open ocean in tropical and subtropical regions, they have been found as far north as the Bay of FundyCape Bretonand the Hebrides.[7]

Strong winds may drive them into bays or onto beaches. Often, finding a single Portuguese man o' war is followed by finding many others in the vicinity.[8] They can sting while beached; the discovery of a man o' war washed up on a beach may lead to the closure of the beach.[9][10]

Structure[edit]
220px-Physalia_physalis1.jpg

Illustration of Physalia physalis, 1807

Being a colonial siphonophore, the Portuguese man o' war is composed of three types of medusoids (gonophores, siphosomal nectophores, and vestigial siphosomal nectophores) and four types of polypoids (free gastrozooids, gastrozooids with tentacles, gonozooids, and gonopalpons), grouped into cormidia beneath the pneumatophore, a sail-shaped structure filled with gas.[8][11] The pneumatophore develops from the planula, unlike the other polyps.[12]This sail is bilaterally symmetrical, with the tentacles at one end. It is translucent, and is tinged blue, purple, pink, or mauve. It may be 9 to 30 cm (3.5 to 11.8 in) long and may extend as much as 15 cm (5.9 in) above the water. The Portuguese man o' war fills its gas bladder with up to 14% carbon monoxide. The remainder is nitrogen, oxygen, and argon—atmospheric gases that diffuse into the gas bladder. Carbon dioxide also occurs at trace levels.[13] The sail is equipped with a siphon. In the event of a surface attack, the sail can be deflated, allowing the colony to temporarily submerge.[14]

The other three polyp types are known as dactylozooid (defense), gonozooid (reproduction), and gastrozooid (feeding).[15] These polyps are clustered. The dactylozooids make up the tentacles that are typically 10 m (33 ft) in length, but can reach over 30 m (98 ft).[8][16] The long tentacles "fish" continuously through the water, and each tentacle bears stinging, venom-filled nematocysts (coiled, thread-like structures), which sting, paralyze, and kill adult or larval squids and fishes. Large groups of Portuguese man o' war, sometimes over 1,000 individuals, may deplete fisheries.[11][14] Contractile cells in each tentacle drag the prey into range of the digestive polyps, the gastrozooids, which surround and digest the food by secreting enzymes that break down proteins, carbohydrates, and fats, while the gonozooids are responsible for reproduction.

Edited by Captain Fatbastard Mayhem

• 2 weeks later...

Back in 1996 I used to go for rides on weekends at the quarry that used to be in what today is Eagle Canyon. I remember there was nothing much around that area and one day driving back in very heavy traffic on what I think it was Northumberland/Witkoppen road, towards what I think it is now Fourways, I came across a small shopping centre that had a bicycle shop on the upper level. Does anyone remember the shop and the shopping centre?

Who remembers Currie Cup Cricket with Edwill van Aarde commentating, and the obligatory rest-day on Sundays? Going to Newlands and sitting on the wooden benches under the old oak trees, playing cricket with the other laaities on the B-field which is where Kelvin Grove is now, running onto the wicket to give Graeme Pollock a sip of a beer upon reaching a hundred?

Those were the days!

if you played cricket as a lightie on the field where Kelvin Grove is now you must be moer old!

it was probably the area where the northstand and the nets are now where you played. still quite a bit of open space there.

and newlands rugby also had a B field, that is now sports science 

this is all i could find of newlands before the rebuild (~late 90's)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8270787@N07/2486834580/in/photostream/

2486834580_574fb4d25b_b.jpg

before my time

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/sport-cricket-pic-circa-1925-newlands-cricket-ground-cape-town-south-picture-id79658716?s=612x612

Edited by juan pelota

if you played cricket as a lightie on the field where Kelvin Grove is now you must be moer old!

it was probably the area where the northstand and the nets are now where you played. still quite a bit of open space there.

and newlands rugby also had a B field, that is now sports science

this is all i could find of newlands before the rebuild (~late 90's)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/8270787@N07/2486834580/in/photostream/

2486834580_574fb4d25b_b.jpg

before my time

https://media.gettyimages.com/photos/sport-cricket-pic-circa-1925-newlands-cricket-ground-cape-town-south-picture-id79658716?s=612x612

We went to Cape town every summer and always attended the new years test match. My gran was in rondebosch so we always walked there. I remember the throng of people leaving in the afternoon going through the tunnel under the railway line. The days of running on to the field to get autographs and pat a batsmens back. Different times indeed

We went to Cape town every summer and always attended the new years test match. My gran was in rondebosch so we always walked there. I remember the throng of people leaving in the afternoon going through the tunnel under the railway line. The days of running on to the field to get autographs and pat a batsmens back. Different times indeed

I remember going there as a kid. My dad played for province there.

Hi,

sold my VIC and Commodore computers about 2 years back, but recently found I still have a "Speech 64"  synthesiser.

Pics below - let me know if you interested in it.

Just saw this now, will DM you.

Back in 1996 I used to go for rides on weekends at the quarry that used to be in what today is Eagle Canyon. I remember there was nothing much around that area and one day driving back in very heavy traffic on what I think it was Northumberland/Witkoppen road, towards what I think it is now Fourways, I came across a small shopping centre that had a bicycle shop on the upper level. Does anyone remember the shop and the shopping centre?

In 1986 we used to do the breakfast run to Harties from Hillbrow. The Fourways intersection was all that there was in the area. A shop and petrol station. If I recall correctly the road which is now Witkoppen was dirt off to the east and west..........I still have that bike (400f on the motorcycling threads)