Who remembers?

DPG

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Radio 5 used to have a cool jingle to that tune

Brings back memories of skateboarding at solid surf skatepark in honeydew back in the 1970’s, they used to play the radio 5 over the PA system

wow you took me back there. Often drive past that place and wonder where it was. Was a skate lighty in those days. That and Cresta parking lot which was down the road from my house. Used to build old bicycles and ride them on the tracks around Darrenwood dam - this was 1976 prior to BMX becoming a big thing. No brakes, fixed gears etc. Broke many rims. then got in to motorbikes. But in between played on skateboards. Snowy Smith M1 wheels, Alfa decks etc - all local. 

wow you took me back there. Often drive past that place and wonder where it was. Was a skate lighty in those days. That and Cresta parking lot which was down the road from my house. Used to build old bicycles and ride them on the tracks around Darrenwood dam - this was 1976 prior to BMX becoming a big thing. No brakes, fixed gears etc. Broke many rims. then got in to motorbikes. But in between played on skateboards. Snowy Smith M1 wheels, Alfa decks etc - all local.

Yep those were the days, SS was before cresta and we used to travel all the way from boksburg to get there... quite a trip in those days especially as my old man lugged us there in his old leyland mini panel van.

They made a wave pool out of the one bowl at SS which was great to cool off in, we used to be allowed to camp there over weekends because we came from so far.

We used to use snowy Smith trucks, home made decks (10” wide) with super shadow wheels cut and grinded down to the shape of the expensive American wheels (kryptonics)

Edited by SwissVan

Alex Jay sort of disappeared, where is he now (if on air at all)?

The last i really remember of him he was a part owner of a club in greenpoint (and then branch 2 in stellenbosch) called Fat Boys. Late 90s and it didn't last long, we thought we could take credit for draining them on their Pig Nite (R30 all you can drink) but i don't think the input costs on the stuff they served were that high.

holey moley. don't search 5fm on youtube,

You end up with mark gillman's attempt at youtube stardom. featuring DANGERBOY!

I advise you not to watch this

i warned you!

I knew that Fat Boys very well [emoji85]

The last i really remember of him he was a part owner of a club in greenpoint (and then branch 2 in stellenbosch) called Fat Boys. Late 90s and it didn't last long, we thought we could take credit for draining them on their Pig Nite (R30 all you can drink) but i don't think the input costs on the stuff they served were that high.

Bumper cars in Durbs

66615842_2739623656064914_89139346841534

That certainly brings back good memories. First holiday we had in za was in Durban. We lived in Worcester at the time. My grand parents flew over from the old country for the holiday. Lots of bumper cars an olaying tic tax toe on the beach. Thanks

Aamoi my grandparents when they lived in Congo used to drive to Durban for holidays. 5 kids in back seat an used to sit at the XL roadhouse on arrival. A tradition I maintained until they closed it.

https://youtu.be/WrCmzCOPFH0

I’m sure I heard Alex jay speaking Afrikaans on radio jacaranda a couple of months ago

Seriously

I can still remember when the famous Barney walked in when I was Dj’ing in Durban at the Creep Show

I can still remember when the famous Barney walked in when I was Dj’ing in Durban at the Creep Show

Barney used to host Alternative nights at the Thunderdome on a Wednesday night and we used to go to school the next day very tired and hungover. If Karma exists I dread my children becoming teenagers.....

I remember him hosting halloween party in Stellenbosch in the Neelsie, night before a cricket match. I walked into my moms house as the sun came up. Opened the bowling, one over was my contribution that day. [emoji23]

Edited by gemmerbal