Who remembers?

DPG

Army story. Basics June '76. 4 SAI .Middelburg Tvl.

We were two companies in a place called Doornkop . Tents outside the town.

Medics with a table under a big Bluegum. We take our shirts off and line up.

It takes a few seconds. Swab, jab, cottonwool and off you go.

One guy is absolutely scared to death by needles. Not an act, he's paranoid.

We keep him calm as the line moves.

With only one guy before his turn a corporal suddenly steps forward and says, "I've never done injections, but would like to learn".

"Sure" says the medic, "it's easy you just hold it and then you do this and this ",as he demonstrated the technique on the troop. He then gave a syringe to the corporal, and De Lange whose turn was next passed out.

Similar story.

Basics January early 80's at 3 SAI in Potch.

There were twins in our peloton, and one was also paranoid about needles... so he kept moving to the back of the line. 'Till the Corp told him that's it - you're next.

Medic was ready for him, bent down and came up with one of those ginormous things they inject cattle with... he dropped like a sack.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah yeah, I know what you are talking about.

BUT a word of warning, don’t waste your time watching them again, they aren’t nearly as “cool” as you might remember them ;)

I remember when I was very small there was a TV series "CHiPs".  We wouldn't miss an episode.  Many years later they had a rerun of the series.  Could not beleive I wasted a part of my childhood watching that nonsense.

Yeah yeah, I know what you are talking about.

BUT a word of warning, don’t waste your time watching them again, they aren’t nearly as “cool” as you might remember them ;)

Much like the Lethal Weapon movies.....when OH was away I decided to have a Lethal Weapon evening.  I lasted through the first one only and decided to rather hang on to the memories I had....

There was another one as well. About a resort on a island ? Can't remember the name now  :ph34r:

Island fever? I never knew of it when I was younger but funny enough not too long ago an oke at work came across a few episodes he had and he showed us,  :eek:  :eek: .

Similar story.

Basics January early 80's at 3 SAI in Potch.

There were twins in our peloton, and one was also paranoid about needles... so he kept moving to the back of the line. 'Till the Corp told him that's it - you're next.

Medic was ready for him, bent down and came up with one of those ginormous things they inject cattle with... he dropped like a sack.

And I thought basics was tough! You guys just spent the days doing coffee rides!

Much like the Lethal Weapon movies.....when OH was away I decided to have a Lethal Weapon evening.  I lasted through the first one only and decided to rather hang on to the memories I had....

I still enjoy them, as well as Beverly Hills Cop, did a marathon the other day, was lots of fun.

Island fever? I never knew of it when I was younger but funny enough not too long ago an oke at work came across a few episodes he had and he showed us,  :eek:  :eek: .

Never seen that one either. Remembered the name of the one I was thinking about, it was called "Eden".

And I thought basics was tough! You guys just spent the days doing coffee rides!

If I have to be honest, I think I have given myself more "Oppies" on the bike in the last couple of years than I had in my days doing military service.

Saturday mornings are no longer the same....

CXpUYtHW8AAYC2d.jpg

CXpUYtHW8AAYC2d.jpg

Who's that?

CXpUYtHW8AAYC2d.jpg

Wonder what happened to the brunette?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

The disappointment when you turned the TV on and this was there.....

http://retroviral.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/SABC-test-signal.jpg

I remember being bathed and ready at 18:00 when broadcasting started.

The disappointment when you turned the TV on and this was there.....

http://retroviral.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/SABC-test-signal.jpg

That was better than half the crap they aired.