Chain cleaner!

Sepia

Had a very dirty chain and ran out of cleaning stuff. Looked around and saw the toilet cleaning liquid. Put chain in a tin, diluted the cleaner with hot water, shook it around a bit, rinsed properly and dried with a rag = one shiny clean chain. It's a pleasure..............

Edited by Sepia

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just check that it is ammonia free - don't think your chain will take kindly to ammonia.

I use terps in container that I can shake with the chain in. I re-use the same terps as the dirt settles in a day or so and the clean terps can be decanted.

Edited by porqui

i am sure paraffin will be a lot more economical that household detergant

Similar method as above, put paraffin into bottle, dilute with hot water, drop chain in, shake and rinse chain off?

Similar method as above, put paraffin into bottle, dilute with hot water, drop chain in, shake and rinse chain off?

put in 2 litre ice cream container....submerge fully and leave for a bit...then take a drill with a circular buff atttached (can even use a bench grinder with buff) and vibrate from below......forces all the k@k out from the hard to reach places

put in 2 litre ice cream container....submerge fully and leave for a bit...then take a drill with a circular buff atttached (can even use a bench grinder with buff) and vibrate from below......forces all the k@k out from the hard to reach places

Should one dilute the paraffin or not?

Paraffin tends to leave an oily type residue whereas terps does not.

Terps also dries much quicker.

Edited by porqui