Urban MTB Assalt

fastlegs

I dont really accept this. The people seeded late pay the same money. They should get the same experience. If you cant offer the same experience to everyone then limit the entries. I am not sure much science goes into the groupings for the 22km riders anyway. The bottom line is there were just too many riders on the course.

precisely why I didnt enter...my seeding is soo hondsleg, it would have been a crap experience for me. Its a double edged sword...you have to do the popular races to maintain your seeding and I really couldnt be bothered to do them, so my fault really.

I agree though, everyone paid the same entry and don't get me started on the diversion tactics they did to some of the later batches, happened to a friend.

• Replies 859
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going into this race we knew there were going to be bottlenecks so we just chilled and enjoyed the "coffee" ride.  

We did the 52km and started in L group, and rode with some really great people. Chilled and out there enjoying the day on their bikes.  Hecking those that were too cool to wait their turn in the queues, using the queues as " meet your fellow rider" opportunities  :D

Loved the route which I think for those that ride "technical" regularly was completed rideable for the most part, but I do also think that for a race of this size, the majority of weekend warriors wouldn't be able to do a lot of it, and the slippery ramps ect just got worse the further down the field you were.  A lot of people got really hurt, some better ideas need to be come up for the areas that gave the medics the most work for the day.  The water ect was also an issue, but everyone's already mentioned that....

A friend did the 22 km and things got little more chaotic, along with the daft people yelling, screaming and swearing when people fall ect.... really, get real, you doing a 22 km ride..... 

Worse part of the day was having some individual so some early Xmas shopping with our friends and our cars (no we did not park on a quiet side street hidden from view)   :(  

Otherwise Thanks to those that made it a "lekker" day out in JHB  :clap:  :clap: and hope those that got hurt have a speedy recovery 

I'm still paying the price for re-hydrating with these. Went down like mothers milk at the time though.

I have to agree and I only had a couple unlike the rest of you!!

That's an idea. Since I'm going to be running my skills clinics more formally from the new shop next year. We can introduce a skills rating for everyone who does a skills evaluation or skills course (there are now a number of avenues for skills clinics around) and the boffins can combine this with your normal race seeding... :D

Good idea as it's largely thanks to your excellent skills training that Jared could fly through this course with no mishaps!!! He's dying to come for more.....

Advanced appologies if i missed it in a previous comment but...

WTF was with that purple ramp towards the end, I saw its height and knew i didn't have the legs to take it on, but in front of me was a lady walking away from it with a broken collarbone and there were 4 or 5 people that i saw behind me that tried it and bailed really bad.

Does it make a great photo op to see people getting hurt? Why not put it earlier in the race when people have fresh legs and more importantly are concentrating rather than being dehydrated and legless.

precisely why I didnt enter...my seeding is soo hondsleg, it would have been a crap experience for me. Its a double edged sword...you have to do the popular races to maintain your seeding and I really couldnt be bothered to do them, so my fault really.

I agree though, everyone paid the same entry and don't get me started on the diversion tactics they did to some of the later batches, happened to a friend.

Slippery slope this.

I can't be bothered to enter races that I won't enjoy but then it means I don't have seeding.

So I started in Y batch which meant there were points in the ride yesterday that were frustrating. I was a bit unhappy I didn't get to ride everything as I was forced to walk but c'est la vie.

I just wish there was a better rating system that takes into account relative skill levels. Perhaps they should start making better use of GPS timings from known routes to gauge peoples' skills. I know this is open to abuse but it isn't like other systems aren't.

WTF was with that purple ramp towards the end, I saw its height and knew i didn't have the legs to take it on, but in front of me was a lady walking away from it with a broken collarbone and there were 4 or 5 people that i saw behind me that tried it and bailed really bad.

Does it make a great photo op to see people getting hurt? Why not put it earlier in the race when people have fresh legs and more importantly are concentrating rather than being dehydrated and legless.

I don't think it was the toughest of obstacles and people had more than enough space to go around and avoid it. I also saw a bunch of people take a dirt sample on it but that was only due to human error.

If Someone doesn't have the skills they really shouldn't attempt it.

"Technical" is somewhat of a relative term. Some may find steep descents, switchbacks, drop offs and gap jumps technical, but can ride loose rocky climbs like a boss. Others can do most of those gravity type things, but can't get traction/power down to get up tricky climbs. (guilty over here!  :blush:  And I respect the ability of those that can ride up a landslide).

Due to it's urban nature, JUMA introduced obstacles not typically seen in other races... a different type of "technical". Some riders were excited about these challenges and attacked them head on... not always ending well, but it was their choice to try it. Others erred on the side of caution and chose to dismount and walk (ironically not safer on the scaffolding ramps).

There's no shame in walking an obstacle one isn't comfortable with. Heck, I've walked many. But courtesy is key when doing this. Keep to the side (out of the main line). Let those that want to ride it, ride it. I shouldn't make them walk just because I choose to.

One person's technical is another person's tame. Patience, consideration, and common sense will go a long way in keeping all happy.

Patches, well said.

I started off in Batch D so was really lucky to have no bottlenecks. However, there were 2 occasions where I jumped off the bike (rocky section along the spruit particularly), as I did not feel like taking a dive and hurt myself. Dismount safely, run through the obstacle, mount and off you go. Don't p..s anyone off and don't stop the flow.

I thought the ramp was awesome! You should know if you have the ability to ride it, if not, more than enough space to go around.

Loved my ride, had two crashes (one proper :mellow: ), hit two minor'ish bottle necks, rode all the ramps(Rivonia was closed when I got there - it looked like it was put the wrong way) and just generally loved a completely fresh day out on the bike...

Some things for sure that the organisers must fine tune for next year, but on the whole and considering this is their maiden voyage in mtb race organising - I just can't wait to see what they throw up for next year  :thumbup:

PS: Bell was a nice new token ( I already have hundreds of medals sitting in a draw)

PPS: Mitchells beer made the ride home interesting  :blush:

My 2c as a Juma Wife - my OH was looking forward to this knowing it would be tough. He only gets out to ride every 2nd week, and mostly he rides on my slow 25km rides at most so doing the 52km was a brave move.

he rides with a 3L pak and on our short rides he usually doesn't even get through a third of it, so he thought one pak would be enough with the water points - like many others he got to the second point and there was nothing.

he decided to go off and get a coke, he went back and another guy rode past dying for water - He only had the coke but it was accepted with much gratitude. Also by the time he got to the bridge over Rivonia Rd it was closed off - too many people wiping?

he had a DNF which he's disappointed with but  for a first race I'm super proud of him. He rode through the tunnel on a flat as he couldn't stop to fix it there. had one fall and banged his shin up a bit.

opted to ride most of the "technical lines" - which he said had less congestion but he realised that he needs to work on his fitness before he attempts something like that again.

My mates that did the 22km enjoyed it - with exception to the frustration of bottlenecks.

oh and he rode with a Johan on a morewood for a stretch - he was grateful for the company - and apparently someone has some go pro footage of him getting up close and personal with a tree - please share it :)

hope all the injured people and bikes heal up soon. Maybe next year I'll grow a pair and try it.

Edited by Uni

I wonder who suffered more - the riders that came short or the medical aid companies...

oh and he rode with a Johan on a morewood for a stretch - he was grateful for the company - and apparently someone has some go pro footage of him getting up close and personal with a tree - please share it :)

Maxxis???

Maxxis???

Thats what I thought as well, last time i saw Maxxis on his Stead - i remember the green rims...

if it was @maxxis - Mark would love to join you guys on your next spruit ride.

that was his first experience of the spruit ever.

Thats what I thought as well, last time i saw Maxxis on his Stead - i remember the green rims...

if it was @maxxis - Mark would love to join you guys on your next spruit ride.

that was his first experience of the spruit ever.

Yeah, he was on the grey and green machine when he stopped at our "water point" for 5 minutes.