CycleOps SA and Tim Noakes Diet

Ive been reading quite a bit about cyclists mixing in some carbs before races etc.. I just dont want to lose the ketosis I am currently in... Im generally a slow and steady rider though, not a sprinter. When I get down to my ideal weight, somewhere between 95 and 98kg's I may start taking on a few carbs for race days perhaps.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This Noakes and Banting diet is a load of crap. What makes Noakes a dietician? You eat to perform. So if you are an athlete then there is no reason why you should restrict your carb intake. If you a couch potato or a diabetic then yes restricting your carb intake makes sense. I've yet to hear of a athlete at the top of his game not consuming carbs.

At what intensity (km/h and/or Watts) would a 85kg male (180cm) need to cycle to burn 1000 kJ per hour?

How does this relate to burning a 1000 calories per hour and the effect on both the carbohydrate and fat metabolism as sources of energy?

Did not read al the replies but I fall in your catogary and from experience found I use around 600 Calories an hour when training and between 1000-1100 calories an hour racing. This will be @around 85% max heartrate and around a 3 hour Argus pace or 2h30 min 94.7 pace.

This Noakes and Banting diet is a load of crap. What makes Noakes a dietician? You eat to perform. So if you are an athlete then there is no reason why you should restrict your carb intake. If you a couch potato or a diabetic then yes restricting your carb intake makes sense. I've yet to hear of a athlete at the top of his game not consuming carbs.

Are you a dietician? Qualified to make such an opinionated statement?

At no point does Noakes advocate to athletes that they need to cut the carbs, infact he goes on to say that if you are very active, at your lean weight, then introducing carbs back into your diet isnt an issue. This diet isnt really geared specifically for sportsman, it just works for them as well, and everybody is different so speaking in generalities doesnt help anyone.

Many many many topics exist online regarding endurance athletes mixing in additional carbs before an event without any negative effects on their ketosis.

It isn't just about athletes - it's about insulin resistance and diabetes. My GF was insulin resistant and bordering on Type 2 diabetes, a serious condition. On her latest bloods her IR has now totally gone. Before you trash it make sure you understand it.

Edit: Steve Redgrave was a world class rower, possibly one of the best of all time. Despite all his fitness he still developed diabetes leading into his last Olympics. Just because carbs help you perform does not make them good for you

Edited by walkerr

Ive been reading quite a bit about cyclists mixing in some carbs before races etc.. I just dont want to lose the ketosis I am currently in... Im generally a slow and steady rider though, not a sprinter. When I get down to my ideal weight, somewhere between 95 and 98kg's I may start taking on a few carbs for race days perhaps.

Yep - you have to find what works for you.

Lynty!! Same problem with me..

Endurance has improved alot, but bursts of speed, flat or uphill leave me feeling pooped quite quickly. However recovery is quite quick compared to in the past.

Only into the 3rd week of this diet, lost 4kg already and feeling fantastic.

Thats cos you are fat :P

If you are in your 3rd week then any cycling is going to be tough. You wont be fully keto adapted yet.

Wait a few weeks and you will see the change.

Also losing the weight helps, I have lost 22kgs so far.

Thats cos you are fat :P

If you are in your 3rd week then any cycling is going to be tough. You wont be fully keto adapted yet.

Wait a few weeks and you will see the change.

Also losing the weight helps, I have lost 22kgs so far.

I thought you looked like a shadow of your former self!!

Have done 2 rides so far, first one a week into it, and only about 25km... was quite tough I wont lie.. Second ride a week later was much better, 40km's and felt generally good afterwards, just couldnt do any sprints. That said, I think my body is adjusting quite quickly... carbs were a poison for me.

Will be trying to add 10-20 km's on each ride. Cant wait for this 'Change' you mention...

It isn't just about athletes - it's about insulin resistance and diabetes. My GF was insulin resistant and bordering on Type 2 diabetes, a serious condition. On her latest bloods her IR has now totally gone. Before you trash it make sure you understand it.

Edit: Steve Redgrave was a world class rower, possibly one of the best of all time. Despite all his fitness he still developed diabetes leading into his last Olympics. Just because carbs help you perform does not make them good for you

I was exactly the same, this diet made all the difference for me.

I thought you looked like a shadow of your former self!!

Have done 2 rides so far, first one a week into it, and only about 25km... was quite tough I wont lie.. Second ride a week later was much better, 40km's and felt generally good afterwards, just couldnt do any sprints. That said, I think my body is adjusting quite quickly... carbs were a poison for me.

Will be trying to add 10-20 km's on each ride. Cant wait for this 'Change' you mention...

Dude in the first two weeks if you managed 10ks I would have said well done!

You will feel tons better and have more energy when you are fully adapted.

I was hectically insulin resistant, I would eat carefully and be racing triathlons etc but never lose any weight.

Made the change and everything has been great since then.

Dude in the first two weeks if you managed 10ks I would have said well done!

You will feel tons better and have more energy when you are fully adapted.

I was hectically insulin resistant, I would eat carefully and be racing triathlons etc but never lose any weight.

Made the change and everything has been great since then.

I'm actually quite nervous - despite being on it for about 6 weeks, I've cheated with extra carbs when out on the bike. So I know I am going to suffer a ton over the next few weeks when I ditch those. It's about the long term and fueling for long distance riding for me, so it'll be worth it once I get past the short term dips I know.

I'm actually quite nervous - despite being on it for about 6 weeks, I've cheated with extra carbs when out on the bike. So I know I am going to suffer a ton over the next few weeks when I ditch those. It's about the long term and fueling for long distance riding for me, so it'll be worth it once I get past the short term dips I know.

One I have found after being on the diet for around 8 months is that I dont have to stick to it as strictly.

I can be a lot more relaxed about what I eat and I slip in and out of ketosis pretty often. A seriously intensive training session or a long ride will snap me right back into it though.

When in doubt though ask Pete!

I didnt start the LCHF diet because of Tim Noakes or his book, I did it because of dr Peter Atiah and how similar his situation was to mine... aside from his "light" 200 mile cycles!!

http://eatingacademy.com/personal/actually-eat-part-iii-circa-q1-2014

Tim Noakes didn't profess to be a dietician when he "Refined" Banting lifestyle. He had the guts to refute his own writings about carbo loading and the like in his previous books. Atkins was the diet, and it worked for many thousands of people. The LCHF lifestyle is simply an extension of this and a a way to reverse the western world's obesity epidemic( You don't have be an expert to recognise this) and remove some of the "crap" forced down our throats by the yanks from research by their own "experts" merely to gain control over their agricultural industry, and the rest of the world. Sound familiar?

Are you a dietician? Qualified to make such an opinionated statement?

1 scientist (tim himself) says it awesome (and a couple of tjommies

The WHOLE (>95% of it) medical field - doctors, dieticians, pathologists, biochemists, physiologists etc say it is a load of bull doo doo..

And it is

Banting is a sure way to make sure your cardiovascular system is in the world of sh*t.

It has been proven beyond a shred of doubt that even a single high fat meal brings about vascular alterations (lipid build up in the vessel walls with plaque formation and platelet aggregation) - proven by vascular biopsy

If you read up on inflammation - its real - and atherosclerosis (plaques in blood vessels) is the killer

And this diet just p*sses fat into the inferno

Just my informed 2c

Every person has the right to F up his own life as he see fit

Some bant / some smoke

Edited by EdEdEd

It has been proven beyond a shred of doubt that even a single high fat meal brings about vascular alterations (lipid build up in the vessel walls with plaque formation and platelet aggregation) - proven by vascular biopsy

That hasn't been proven at all - in fact all the actual scientific studies prove the exact opposite:

http://eatlocalgrown...tritionist.html

Edit - for those too lazy to read the whole thing:

===

Nutritionist Says: “Saturated Fat Raises Cholesterol and Causes Heart Disease”

Answer: This is a myth. Saturated fat raises HDL (the “good”) cholesterol and changes the LDL from small, dense to Large LDL, which is benign and doesn’t increase the risk of heart disease.

This has been intensively studied in the past few decades and the studies consistently show that saturated fat is not in any way related to the risk of heart disease.

Studies

1. Siri-Tarino PW, et al. Meta-analysis of prospective cohort studies evaluating the association of saturated fat with cardiovascular disease. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2010.
  2. Mente A, et al. A systematic review of the evidence supporting a causal link between dietary factors and coronary heart disease. Archives of Internal Medicine, 2009.
  3. Dreon DM, et al. Change in dietary saturated fat intake is correlated with change in mass of large low-density-lipoprotein particles in men. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 1998.

More: The saturated fat myth has been debunked thoroughly here and here.

===

Edited by walkerr

If you want to really scare yourself shitless Google "cancer" and "glucose"

It has been clinically proven that glucose is the only fuel that allows cancer cells to grow. They can synthesize their own glucose, but only enough to sustain themselves and not grow. (http://www.canceractive.com/cancer-active-page-link.aspx?n=3087 and many other citations).

The glucose you take in is the fuel they need to thrive.

So not only are you playing russian roulette with insulin and diabetes with high carbs and sugars, you're also rolling the dice with cancer.

I'd take up smoking if I were you ...