Just how tough is the Absa Cape Epic? A look at the numbers

News bot

Having a resting HR of 28 must have terminally terrifying for Indurain. Hearing and feeling your heart beat like that every 2-3 seconds with violent force.

I think with it thal low I would be waking up every 2 hours to get on a trainer ... be really interesting to see some of the old blood work, doubt a lot of it would be biological passport ready....

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Very surprised to see an average training time of 11 hours per week.  Always thought that it should be a little more, heck, I though 11 hours should just be weekend riding.

V12man; you cynic you. Maybe Indurain had a Martian blood passport?

No he along with Greg Lemond where the 2 freaks of genetics that just managed to beat all the other freaks of pharmaclology in the hight of peds.

Amazing guys..

"90% rode on 29inch wheels" So ... that settles that debate then. 26ers are for clowns! :devil:

I fell in the 10%... calling me a clown?

....don't tell anyone, but during the race I frequently wished I had bigger wheels....

V12man; you cynic you. Maybe Indurain had a Martian blood passport?

Some guys do have some really strange blood work... Reinhold Messner for example...  his oxygen dissociation curve looks more like that of a dolphin than a person....

Sheesh, that is a phenominal fee! Can not wrap my mind around it.

80% of the fee is bragging rights .The sponsors pick up the cost tab .Vermaak is making a packet and we fall for it .Not me , others do !

80% of the fee is bragging rights .The sponsors pick up the cost tab .Vermaak is making a packet and we fall for it .Not me , others do !

So the question is: How do you I sell myself (as mid level mtb rider) to get sponsorhips to do an event like this?!

Edited by nox1111

Very surprised to see an average training time of 11 hours per week.  Always thought that it should be a little more, heck, I though 11 hours should just be weekend riding.

As a middle of the pack rider my preparation was:-

3 hours spinning during the week

2 hour road bike ride on Saturday

4 hours mtb ride on Sunday.

That's all the time I could spare. 

I did take strain on the initial long stages but your body adapts very quickly.