A dark Africa lays ahead.....load shedding

Mojoman

oh agreed but do you (and some other Cape clown) remember slagging me off when I said Eskom was useless (to be polite)?  I think you said they had lots of great engineers and good people.  Where are they?

I see you still display lack of self control, by not restraining yourself from rather ironic name-calling. Same old you hey.

But to your question, many have left. At the time, there were very many very good engineers and managers who, despite being sidelined from growth opportunities, kept the organization functional. Those are the ones who took pride in their work and did what they knew best and it kept the ship floating as best they could. If it wasn't for them, we as a country would have been in the current dark hole much, much sooner. 

But there's been a massive brain drain (not just from the middle but from the bottom as well. that is, really great young talents have left for better growth opportunities because of ridiculous race politics, and those young men and women were a very bright future for Eskom), and the few good ones that remain, their best efforts are no longer sufficient.

So here we are, cheap-points-scoring ad hominem attacks and all.

Edited by Capricorn

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

And then some..it just makes me moerig.

I'm part of your Moerig Club :cursing:

Imagine how da moerin those aunties at the hairdresser must be or the poor oke that was having a tattoo done when the power goes off.

I see you still display lack of self control, by not restraining yourself from rather ironic name-calling. Same old you hey.

But to your question, many have left. At the time, there were very many very good engineers and managers who, despite being sidelined from growth opportunities, kept the organization functional. Those are the ones who took pride in their work and did what they knew best and it kept the ship floating as best they could. If it wasn't for them, we as a country would have been in the current dark hole much, much sooner. 

But there's been a massive brain drain (not just from the middle but from the bottom as well. that is, really great young talents have left for better growth opportunities because of ridiculous race politics, and those young men and women were a very bright future for Eskom), and the few good ones that remain, their best efforts are no longer sufficient.

So here we are, cheap-points-scoring ad hominem attacks and all.

There are a lot of very skilled, very capable, very willing worker-bees in big companies. Unfortunately, as we have seen in a few instances of late - it only takes some serious rotten eggs at the top step to make 'poor' decisions and legitimately ruin the show. The massive corporate/utility failures we've seen certainly don't depict 95% of the people working at the institution accurately.

The biggest pity is perhaps those exact worker bees who are left high and dry when things turn south.

Eskom has been in this death spiral for a while now. The more people get electricity from illegal connections, the less income they will get, forcing them to increase the price for those willing to pay, forcing even more illegal connections. And that is just one part thereof.

You have a plane in a flat spin, and not one competent pilot in sight.

Eskom has been in this death spiral for a while now. The more people get electricity from illegal connections, the less income they will get, forcing them to increase the price for those willing to pay, forcing even more illegal connections. And that is just one part thereof.

or any parachutes...

Imagine how da moerin those aunties at the hairdresser must be or the poor oke that was having a tattoo done when the power goes off.

Small businesses won't survive if this carries on...the blue haired tannies are going to be very upset.

In my business it is even more critical, that is why we had to install a half million bucks worth of generator. Without it, things go wrong very badly. It worked hard this week. At least 2 hours a day, and it gulps diesel at quite a cost, but we smile and wave and carry on. We also had to install another half million worth of water supply and water saving equipment, so we are ready for the next day zero too.  

oh agreed but do you (and some other Cape clown) remember slagging me off when I said Eskom was useless (to be polite)?  I think you said they had lots of great engineers and good people.  Where are they?

I might have been the other cape town clown. Must have big shoes to fill.

Like I've said earlier, the issues are

Politics

Economics

Technology

in that order. There are issues with all of them, you could have the best engineers in the world, but if the politicians give the coal contracts to their buddies who then don't supply it then you've got problems.

The culture of non-payment is a massive problem.This also links to the culture of entitlement, another more massive massive problem. Then there is capacity to ensure secure and correct metering of power supplied takes place, and the capacity to keep non-payers off the grid, Going by what I see locally, all massive fails. Guy who owns the two houses next door to me (and who works for Jhb Metro) has not paid his bills for 5+ years and gets away with it. I've reported the illegal connections to the correct authorities and him to the anti-corruption squad countess times - what happens? Fook all!

Until the state/SOE/Local gov ditches their racist employment policies and stops employing talentless unskilled uneducated people to do the skilled work required, purely for the sake  of handing out 'jobs' on the basis of race and cronyism, we are stuffed,

I am just waiting for Scottish Independence before I bail.

Edited by kosmonooit

https://www.iol.co.za/news/south-africa/north-west/klerksdorp-faces-eskom-cut-off-report-1485396

Klerksdorp faces Eskom cut-off - report

oh wait this is 2013

Yeah.. sigh they had a lot of parties with our utility payments made

Soweto owes Eskom R17 billion, half of the total national debt

https://www.thesouthafrican.com/soweto-owes-eskom-r17-billion-2019/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

2019[emoji6]

Heard about a call from a doctor on SAFM yesterday.

She says those few seconds, when you have your hands inside a patient and the power goes off and you wait for the generator to kick in, are indescribable.

Can you imagine.....

Frightening

Units that went down on Monday:

• Medupi 5 and 6
  • Grootvlei 1 and 2
  • Majuba 4
  • Kriel 5

Medupi 2 - Not currently supplying to the grid also tripped

Duvha 3 and Lethabo 5 are on long term outage after recent explosions

Eskom's day zero of 31 March 2019 is fast approaching. That's Eskom's financial year-end. 

An independent auditor is going to have to put its hand on its heart and either declare Eskom a going concern, or not. Excessive primary energy and manpower costs aside, Eskom's financial problems are now mathematical, as interest during construction (IDC) compounds out of control due to the massive project overruns and delays.

Then, let's not even mention the design flaws at Medupi or Kusile or the low availabilities of existing coal plant, which are not expected to recover anytime soon.

And then the two elephants in the room - wet coal from rain, and compliance with Minimum Emission Standards (MES).

Expect more regular load shedding and of longer duration, until new capacity is brought online - whenever and whatever that might be. It could last a decade from now! 

Whilst we all await the much anticipated Integrated Resource Plan (IRP) update ...