Mojoman

Units that went down on Monday:

• Medupi 5 and 6
  • Grootvlei 1 and 2
  • Majuba 4
  • Kriel 5

Medupi 2 - Not currently supplying to the grid also tripped

Duvha 3 and Lethabo 5 are on long term outage after recent explosions

where do you get this, do Eskom report this anywhere? if not, they should!

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heard about a call from a doctor on SAFM yesterday.

She says those few seconds, when you have your hands inside a patient and the power goes off and you wait for the generator to kick in, are indescribable.

Can you imagine.....

Frightening

That's where a UPS comes in: to tied you over for a short period for equipment that needs to stay on

What is positive is the steps Pravin is making in saying that all the investment in the "new" power plants (and supply) was a total cluster bomb.

So accept that no matter what we do the bomb is here.

For the first time since the LOL started I feel that Eskom is being honest about why the problems are there and that they are working on a long term solution (unbundling etc) but it is going to be dark for a while.

Oh, and on the totally "I have no facts level". The gas field find off our coast should (maybe, possibly, hopefully) mean that power supply will be invested in to make this find a "reality"

Oh, and on the totally "I have no facts level". ............

I simply cannot shake the suspicion that the latest round of load shedding is "manufactured" again, much like it was when they manufactured a coal shortage a few years ago. The timing of it all makes me wonder even more. Call me a suspicious old bastard if you like, but I have heard too much bull**** from Escom to just accept any explanation without first wondering about hidden agendas, smoke and mirrors, politicians and their forked tongues and so on. 

What is positive is the steps Pravin is making in saying that all the investment in the "new" power plants (and supply) was a total cluster bomb.

So accept that no matter what we do the bomb is here.

My experience of coal is mainly from going to energy conferences (that the minister always pulled out of at the last minute) and my overall impression from ~2011-2014 is that there were a sheetload of overseas consultants involved in these buildprojects. Lots of german and french being spoken. If you could hack it in Ellisras, there was money to be made, no matter how (in)competent you were.

Eskom last built power stations in the '80s

The people who did that are all gone.

They should never have been the project managers on this one, they just didn't have the expertise to handle it.

Let this one sink in.

The overspending and delays on the construction of Medupi and Kusile means they will produce the most expensive coal-fired energy in the world at R1.70/kWh and R1.90/kWh, respectively.

Ramaphosa has a hard decision to make:

Privatise Eskom now and face the wrath of the unions, or not and face economic ruin when we have no more power.

Every SOE under full control of government has collapsed. Eskom is next.

Telkom is not exactly the best model to follow.

keep the transmission state run.

it's a shared resource just like roads/rail/comms

Misappropriation of funds!

Government needs to do a total audit on itself..... well I am sure everyone knows they could spend less and save more. In doing so surely there has to be some millions that can be redirected 

I was at one of our suppliers early this mornng. Just got back after having spent a few hours there in the dark trying to buy stock. I spent half my budget.

Dunno whats better, the fact that I saved the business some money or the fact that our supplier got a smaller sale and in turn we will be having a smaller turnover.

I simply cannot shake the suspicion that the latest round of load shedding is "manufactured" again, much like it was when they manufactured a coal shortage a few years ago. The timing of it all makes me wonder even more. Call me a suspicious old bastard if you like, but I have heard too much bull**** from Escom to just accept any explanation without first wondering about hidden agendas, smoke and mirrors, politicians and their forked tongues and so on. 

Assuming you are correct,  who benefits? According to their CFO, not Eskom, because even if the requested tariffs were granted, it not even close to being enough. The blackouts are not doing are economy any good and is likely straining backroom deals Ramaphosa struck in Switzerland (hence him being reportedly angry about the recent turn of events).

There's always the pro-zuma/pro-koko acolytes. The zumas and kokos of this country never gave a toss about the country or it's ppl, except where it suited them, and the spilling of bosasa guts could actually hurt them for a change.

Then there was a  missive from the Eskom CEO, in which he declares sabotage as a non-starter, Bbut goes into a bit of prose about how it would be unthinkable, and beyond the conscience of Eskom's professionals. It's curious because why state it's not something, but then go and appeal to professional, patriotic conscience to prevent the something.

Very odd, very curious IMO.

So other than political power play, self-destructive behavior, or status quo a consequence of what's gone before, who or what is left?