• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it will just get worse...

Before it gets more worse!

Just before it becomes the worst....!!

If that is your outlook then you should maak n plan and GTFO.

I have backup lights, I have gas to cook, but the worst part of load shedding for me is that the cell C network in my area goes down, so absolutely no comms.

I bought a UPS last year to power my wifi and fibre, but I obviously under specced as it only runs for 20 minutes.

Just open it and replace the batteries inside - probably only 1 has failed - should be a lot cheaper than a new UPS.

Hard hitting and honest. Tells it like she sees is it without all the PC niceties including shedding the bloated staff complement. 

https://www.sowetanlive.co.za/news/south-africa/2019-10-30-eskom-board-member-slams-interference-says-there-should-be-load-shedding/

She has a point.

But I don't like her nails.

:ph34r:

More seriously, it boggles my brain that when there is a Minister like Gordhan trying to get things turned around you have someone on the board chirping.

Why only now?

Just open it and replace the batteries inside - probably only 1 has failed - should be a lot cheaper than a new UPS.

It’s been like this from day one, so likely came from shop with did battery.

But the batteries are cheap enough to just replace without the headache of trying to claim warranty.

Power went off at 3 this morning, not sure if it was LS related, I woke up as soon as the fan stopped. Brewed a nice cup of coffee on the gas and went for a run. Not a bad start to the day.

Not quite UPS isnt best solution as your converting dc to ac then ac to dc for router.

The losses are astounding apparently (just did the research online).

Best would be to use a 12v battery with a buck/boost converter to the dc input volts of your router/modem. That gives you many hours of power, from the little research i have been able to do in 30min I had this morning.

She has a point.

But I don't like her nails.

:ph34r:

More seriously, it boggles my brain that when there is a Minister like Gordhan trying to get things turned around you have someone on the board chirping.

Why only now?

Happy to be be proved otherwise but I don't hold Ramaphosa, Gordhan etc in the same esteemed regard. Example The Eskom Chairman who was appointed by both, had the following to say.  

At a media briefing to explain why load shedding has returned and what Eskom plans to do about it, chairperson and acting CEO Jabu Mabuza responded to a question on whether he is the right person for his job by explaining that he didn’t apply for it and was there due to the decisions of President Cyril Ramaphosa and Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan.

“Am I the right person? I would have applied for the job if I had the qualifications and I wanted it, I didn’t apply for this. South Africans and the president and the minister must make the call,” he said.

Mind boggling.

Then there's the credit for placing SAA under business rescue, when i fact they were faced with an ultimatum, Solidarity requested this a while back but were dismissed, they then went the legal route and surprise, Ramaphosa then finally took action. 

Let the panic buying of inverters and deep cycle batteries commence!

I made that mistake with the load shedding in 2016. Lots of back and forth about whether I should buy one, finally pulled the trigger, and the day it arrived was the last day of load shedding for quite some time. It did come in handy a few times though.

Happy to be be proved otherwise but I don't hold Ramaphosa, Gordhan etc in the same esteemed regard. Example The Eskom Chairman who was appointed by both, had the following to say.  

At a media briefing to explain why load shedding has returned and what Eskom plans to do about it, chairperson and acting CEO Jabu Mabuza responded to a question on whether he is the right person for his job by explaining that he didn’t apply for it and was there due to the decisions of President Cyril Ramaphosa and Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan.

“Am I the right person? I would have applied for the job if I had the qualifications and I wanted it, I didn’t apply for this. South Africans and the president and the minister must make the call,” he said.

Mind boggling.

Then there's the credit for placing SAA under business rescue, when i fact they were faced with an ultimatum, Solidarity requested this a while back but were dismissed, they then went the legal route and surprise, Ramaphosa then finally took action. 

What can one really expect from a f****** commie and an ex-trade-unionist. They're all stuck in an ideological quagmire.

It’s been like this from day one, so likely came from shop with did battery.

But the batteries are cheap enough to just replace without the headache of trying to claim warranty.

True - and in any case the batteries only last a couple of years till there performace is poor - so unless you are in the business or replacing UPS every 2 years, it's worth learning how to do it - think I am on about the 4th set of batteries on mine - but the device itself is still good.