A dark Africa lays ahead.....load shedding

Mojoman

South Africans are paying up to four times more for electricity than a decade ago – and that’s to finance stealing and cost overruns at the Medupi and Kusile power stations.

Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan called numbers and statistics comparing Eskom of a decade ago with present-day Eskom "atrocious", saying tariff increases over that period mean ordinary South Africans are paying four times more than they used to.

https://www.fin24.com/Economy/Eskom/gordhan-you-are-paying-4-times-more-for-electricity-because-of-stealing-at-medupi-and-kusile-20200122

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just been Skyping with th in laws back in SA. We knew there had been some load shedding going on but we didn't realise just how bad it was. For the last little while they have been without power every day. It's usually for four hours at a time, sometimes am and sometimes pm. 

We had Load Shedding on the west rand before we left, it was occasional but it was still a PITA. How are people coping with haveing no juice for several hours day after day? I guess with some planning you can manage and generators can help with the smaller stuff if you have one. But remembering to buy fuel, storing cans of fuel at home . . . far from ideal.

My FIL is busy having lunch then he's driving down to Letaba to look at a boiler problem there . . . . 

For our household the load-shedding isn't that bad, 2 hours most days are fine.

The problem comes in that in the past 2 months our street has had a power failure 3 times at the substation just as our section is put back on after the loadshedding, staying off for 2 days. That is a real ball ache because all backup systems get exhausted, fridge and freezer starts going dodge.

Then you get micro companies like the one my mom works for: they run plastic injection molding machines which draw too much current to be serviced economically by a generator. Plus they need to build up heat after an outage. The long and short is that they lose 10 hours of production time during stage 2 loadshedding. Very difficult to make your delivery targets when you lose around 40% of your production.

Edited by Swift&Aero

Just been Skyping with th in laws back in SA. We knew there had been some load shedding going on but we didn't realise just how bad it was. For the last little while they have been without power every day. It's usually for four hours at a time, sometimes am and sometimes pm. 

We had Load Shedding on the west rand before we left, it was occasional but it was still a PITA. How are people coping with haveing no juice for several hours day after day? I guess with some planning you can manage and generators can help with the smaller stuff if you have one. But remembering to buy fuel, storing cans of fuel at home . . . far from ideal.

My FIL is busy having lunch then he's driving down to Letaba to look at a boiler problem there . . . . 

Not a problem

Generally while I am slaving at the coal face or while I am doe does.

If it goes off any other time which it seldom does its pasta for dinner on the gas and romantic candle light.

For our household the load-shedding isn't that bad, 2 hours most days are fine.

The problem comes in that in the past 2 months our street has had a power failure 3 times at the substation just as our section is put back on after the loadshedding, staying off for 2 days. That is a real ball ache because all backup systems get exhausted, fridge and freezer starts going dodge.

Then you get micro companies like the one my mom works for: they run plastic injection molding machines which draw too much current to be serviced economically by a generator. Plus they need to build up heat after an outage. The long and short is that they lose 10 hours of production time during stage 2 loadshedding. Very difficult to make your delivery targets when you lose around 40% of your production.

Part of my job in SA was visiting "Plastics" customers and yes, I remember them struggling to maintain output when the machines kept cooling down. You'd need a massive generator to keep those things going.

• 2 weeks later...

All part of the softening up process.

Before long the cash cows will pay any rate, just to get electricity. (or so they hope)

A lot of the 'cash cows' are feeling like this though

397812_15503_1.jpg

Been running the big diesel generator pretty much every day for the last bit, it costs money, but at least we have not lost any productivity. Just a pita when you get there in the morning and it is already dark and you have to start things to make your "wake the hell up and get going" cup of coffee. Decided to train more of my team to get it running and make proper coffee.

Not a problem

Generally while I am slaving at the coal face or while I am doe does.

If it goes off any other time which it seldom does its pasta for dinner on the gas and romantic candle light.

today is an exception.We were notified.Scheduled maintenance 11 hours from 8am till 7 pm!!!!wtf is 11 hours.Why not 10 or 12.If this comes on at 7 I will believe in divine intervention.Poepols

Aha we are just confused.

The power on has been revised from 11 hours,to switch on at 2300 which is technically correct

I was watching the effing cricket and our electicity went off. And it makes me effing angry. I pay my effing taxes and rates and whatever they want. Flippit man. I worked my ass off this week as I always do. Now they steal my relaxation time too

I was watching the effing cricket and our electicity went off. And it makes me effing angry. I pay my effing taxes and rates and whatever they want. Flippit man. I worked my ass off this week as I always do. Now they steal my relaxation time too

My power was meant to come on at 1900

Here we sit at 20.05

I could not give a **** about the cricket