A dark Africa lays ahead.....load shedding

Mojoman

Was it disconnected from other Provinces also, or just the Western Cape?

My logic tells me if it's in arrears in the WC, it will be in arrears in all the provinces. Or am I being retarded with this train of thought?

Exactly.

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Paints a bleak picture, coincidence that the year Zuma is elected president the cr@p started, Ramaphosa who was tasked to oversee the SOE's including Eskom has to answer as well. Biggest bailout is during his tenure AND after "carefully head hunting" and selecting a chairman (no alignment to Zuma so no pressure) who admits he was not up to it and would not have taken the job if Ramaphosa had not asked him to. 

https://mybroadband.co.za/news/energy/340645-eskom-no-bailouts-from-1923-to-2008-now-r49-billion-in-1-year.html?source=newsletter

post-7-0-85274300-1583412204_thumb.jpg

Edited by scotty

and pop went unit 1, hello stage 4.

omfs.

Little wonder saffers are so highly strung. We're living like frikken prisoners to almost every commodity we need to live by. Minute by minute not knowing when we'll get our next meal....

F$%^ing pathetic.

Actually hearing a Unit "trip" is quite a thing . . . . I heard plenty back in the day when I worked at Matla Power Station.

It can be for a variety of reasons, but generally the very short chain of events goes like this:

1) A fault develops somewhere along the line.

2) Within milliseconds of a fault developing, the 3x 20kV gas-blast Brown Boveri Generator Output Circuit Breakers, situated on the 10 meter level just below whichever is the relevant Generator, all trip.

The operation of these breakers, which are understandably huge - is an immense "bang" so loud you'll easliy hear it from anywhere in the kilometer long Turbine Hall (16 meter level) over the general noise of the power station.

3) With the breakers now "open-circuit", the Alsthom-Atlantique Generator stops producing electricity.

Removing the massive generating load from a Generator/Turbine Set is like simultaneously taking the brakes off a runaway train whilst also firing up a pack of attached JATO units!

4) The MAN Turbine, which is being fed with super-heated dry steam by a 62m high Babcock Boiler delivering 16.1MPa (161 Bar / 2335 psi) at a temperature of 535C, suddenly gains speed at a rapid rate of knots causing the Turbine Centrifugal Overspeed Switch to sense a "runaway Turbine"  (or not, in the case of Duvha Power station) which in turn triggers the HP (high pressure) bypass valves on the 600MW Turbine to activate. These valves close, preventing steam from entering the turbine and sending it unused back to the boiler.

5) The live steam returning to the boiler without having any of its "energy" taken out, causes the temperature and therfore the pressure in the bolier to very quickly climb and within seconds the first of the four roof top Boiler Safety Valves will operate, dumping dry live steam in excess of 535 Deg C / 16.1MPa, out into the atmosphere.

The whole operation generally takes no more than a minute, from the first "Bang" of the CB's tripping to one of the safety valves letting go.

If you're outside and you can hear a safety valve dumping live steam, you usually can't tell which unit has tripped - because the steam, being dry, is invisible......

The operation of these breakers, which are understandably huge - is an immense "bang" so loud you'll easliy hear it from anywhere in the kilometer long Turbine Hall (16 meter level) over the general noise of the power station.

Cool story and pics - thanks for sharing. About the concept of scale....

A gazillion years ago as first year engineering students, we went on a site trip to Kendal who were finishing the last of their units at the time. We went to the top of the boiler house unit and walked around on the roof. You can see in the picture of the boiler pressure gauge the sides and roof are just IBR sheeting, like any old carport. So there we were, walking around on top of what is just a ginormous 100 m high shed, with the tin sheeting creaking ominously underfoot. I was glad to be back inside on the structural steel staircases after that.

Anyways, a visit to one of the 6 packs is pretty educational in that you can see how complex these things are and how much maintenance is required to keep the hamster wheels going. And short-changing on that maintenance has a serious bite.

I'm guessing a cadre must have designed and knocked up the Eishkom website for about R5 million...you cant get onto it to check the load shedding schedule.....tits on a chicken....absolutely useless....

Actually hearing a Unit "trip" is quite a thing . . . . I heard plenty back in the day when I worked at Matla Power Station.

It can be for a variety of reasons, but generally the very short chain of events goes like this:

1) A fault develops somewhere along the line.

2) Within milliseconds of a fault developing, the 3x 20kV gas-blast Brown Boveri Generator Output Circuit Breakers, situated on the 10 meter level just below whichever is the relevant Generator, all trip.

3) With the breakers now "open-circuit", the Alsthom-Atlantique Generator stops producing electricity.

Removing the massive generating load from a Generator/Turbine Set is like simultaneously taking the brakes off a runaway train whilst also firing up a pack of attached JATO units!

4) The MAN Turbine, which is being fed with super-heated dry steam by a 62m high Babcock Boiler delivering 16.1MPa (161 Bar / 2335 psi) at a temperature of 535C, suddenly gains speed at a rapid rate of knots causing the Turbine Centrifugal Overspeed Switch to sense a "runaway Turbine"  (or not, in the case of Duvha Power station) which in turn triggers the HP (high pressure) bypass valves on the 600MW Turbine to activate. These valves close, preventing steam from entering the turbine and sending it unused back to the boiler.

5) The live steam returning to the boiler without having any of its "energy" taken out, causes the temperature and therfore the pressure in the bolier to very quickly climb and within seconds the first of the four roof top Boiler Safety Valves will operate, dumping dry live steam in excess of 535 Deg C / 16.1MPa, out into the atmosphere.

The whole operation generally takes no more than a minute, from the first "Bang" of the CB's tripping to one of the safety valves letting go.

If you're outside and you can hear a safety valve dumping live steam, you usually can't tell which unit has tripped - because the steam, being dry, is invisible......

Dry steam, well here's something I've just learned about today. Thanks for the explanation and pics  :thumbup:

I'm guessing a cadre must have designed and knocked up the Eishkom website for about R5 million...you cant get onto it to check the load shedding schedule.....tits on a chicken....absolutely useless....

Haven't you heard of Eskom se push?