A dark Africa lays ahead.....load shedding

Mojoman

Personally I don't mind being powerless for 2 hours. Forces me to do some other stuff and gets the kids off their computers. Allows me to appreciate the priviledge of having power. So I will probably not bother spending the 100K odd to get a backup solution.

Edited by Moridin

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I don't mind being powerless for 2 hours. Forces me to do some other stuff and gets the kids off their computers. Allows me to appreciate the priviledge of having power. So I will probably not bother spending the 100K odd to get a backup solution.

I too like the positives of loadshedding, but on the other hand if I have the means to not contribute to the corrupt fat cats getting even fatter by doing my own thing I will definitely do it.

Thus my game-plan is to actually go grid-tied and use the Grid as my "battery" and just offsett my usage with the solar power I generate. For a R50k outlay I should be able to offset my consumption  down into the lowest payment bracket... I will still have no power during loadshedding, but I will pay the minimum amount to my municipality. (I still have the old rotating disc electricity meter, so it should, in theory turn backwards on a sunny day)

On sizing and design of these things,

We (JHB) are down for 4h at a time, so I think there's a benefit to having a backup solution. Also we had the pleasure of losing our substation during December so we had 4 days where we were off for 8-12h at a stretch, which you might assume will happen to you at some stage. (power off - stop gap repair - repair blows - next stop gap fix - regular loadshedding, you get the picture).

Currently I have a 6kVA inverter with 8 batteries. This runs for 8-12 hours till empty. Cost was R40k for the inverter, R20k for the batteries and a few grand for transfer switching and wiring. So call it R70k all in for a reasonable solution. And loadshedding will be a regular occurrence for at least the next 10 years (on the assumption of rational behaviour to fix things starting from now).

Also I have a gas hob and a gas geyser - I'd say really good investments for being able to have hot water. Gas geyser was about R20k all in, running on bottled gas. We still have an electric geyser in the main bathroom, so this replaced our mostly idle second geyser - note you can fit these in-line with a solar geyser (or other) so that they are top-up heat only if this makes sense for your install.

On the backup circuit I'm running most lighting (excluding our main bedroom, which was just awkward to include on the UPS circuit), TV/WiFi/Speakers, Front Gate and Alarm (because those 9v batteries don't survive long with loadshedding), Fridge, PC/laptop power.

The stuff that waits for Eskom power is the stove, electric kettle, washing machine and my wife's hairdryer. These are not good loads for batteries, so if you want to run them it is better to go for a generator (even then the kettle/stove are probably too heavy for a small gen).

Next step I am considering is solar (and disposing of most of the existing equipment :(). The challenge is that I need to get back up to something like my current 5-6kVA capacity, and that seems like a fairly large installation.

We (JHB) are down for 4h at a time, so I think there's a benefit to having a backup solution. Also we had the pleasure of losing our substation during December so we had 4 days where we were off for 8-12h at a stretch, which you might assume will happen to you at some stage. (power off - stop gap repair - repair blows - next stop gap fix - regular loadshedding, you get the picture).

Currently I have a 6kVA inverter with 8 batteries. This runs for 8-12 hours till empty. Cost was R40k for the inverter, R20k for the batteries and a few grand for transfer switching and wiring. So call it R70k all in for a reasonable solution. And loadshedding will be a regular occurrence for at least the next 10 years (on the assumption of rational behaviour to fix things starting from now).

Also I have a gas hob and a gas geyser - I'd say really good investments for being able to have hot water. Gas geyser was about R20k all in, running on bottled gas. We still have an electric geyser in the main bathroom, so this replaced our mostly idle second geyser - note you can fit these in-line with a solar geyser (or other) so that they are top-up heat only if this makes sense for your install.

On the backup circuit I'm running most lighting (excluding our main bedroom, which was just awkward to include on the UPS circuit), TV/WiFi/Speakers, Front Gate and Alarm (because those 9v batteries don't survive long with loadshedding), Fridge, PC/laptop power.

The stuff that waits for Eskom power is the stove, electric kettle, washing machine and my wife's hairdryer. These are not good loads for batteries, so if you want to run them it is better to go for a generator (even then the kettle/stove are probably too heavy for a small gen).

Next step I am considering is solar (and disposing of most of the existing equipment :(). The challenge is that I need to get back up to something like my current 5-6kVA capacity, and that seems like a fairly large installation.

What sort of mileage do you get on a gas geyser and one gas bottle? Think its better than a solar option?

My ex farms and is totally off the grid.They run the whole shebang off solar and gas.Dish washers tumble dryers you name it.Their battery room is the size of my lounge

They had the choice to either bring in Escom or go this route.

I'm friends with the daughter of an old school teacher of mine. The teacher, who was recently widowed, is moving into a retirment village in Witbank. She's been told she has to install a prepaid electricity meter in she want's to have electricity connected. If she doesn't go prepaid she can't have electricity - simple as that.

Why need dispose existing equipment?  Just run the solar to the battery bank via MPPT.  1.5kw system is about R15k .

If you want grid tied, I will not do that yet, the laws might change completely in next year, so will change your choices alot.

What sort of mileage do you get on a gas geyser and one gas bottle? Think its better than a solar option?

My opinion/setup:

I run my geyser of PV solar.  Its these days its  cheaper than the typical evacuated tube systems (or flat panels) and you can use the excess electricity for other things if you design properly.

I changed they geyser element to 1.5kw (buy it at any plumbing store) . Heats up in 2-3 hrs (200l), and with proper insulation  it keeps warm for 3 days easy.  Enough for 2-3 showers as well if you do CPT shower.  You also get other elements that can run direct of the PV panels, but then you cannot use the excess electricity for something else.

Gas is always good backup, I would go with those cheap instant inline gas geysers, R3k at builders, R1k installation about.   I'm cannot help on usage. but sure uncle google can help on that one

Why need dispose existing equipment?  Just run the solar to the battery bank via MPPT.  1.5kw system is about R15k .

If you want grid tied, I will not do that yet, the laws might change completely in next year, so will change your choices alot.

Yup, slap on a BMS(if there isnt already) and MPPT controller and add panels.

The concern I have is with the proposed "availability fee" that eksdom is talking about. 

Municipalities wont allow you to *not* be connected because its one of their major sources of income.

So Im expecting that even with a fully off-grid solution there would be minimum costs of a few hundred rand a month.

Currently the sweet spot seems to be a smaller grid-tied solution to augment your usage, that always comes with the caveat that you need to use the power while it is being generated unless you start adding batteries which triples the cost.

Yup, slap on a BMS(if there isnt already) and MPPT controller and add panels.

The concern I have is with the proposed "availability fee" that eksdom is talking about. 

Municipalities wont allow you to *not* be connected because its one of their major sources of income.

So Im expecting that even with a fully off-grid solution there would be minimum costs of a few hundred rand a month.

Currently the sweet spot seems to be a smaller grid-tied solution to augment your usage, that always comes with the caveat that you need to use the power while it is being generated unless you start adding batteries which triples the cost.

If muni insist on having something, surely you can then install prepaid meter and not buy any units?

Lot is going to change this year.  Eskom simply cannot make enough power and laws will have to change very quickly to allow other means of generation.  We might even be allowed to feed back more electricity than we use like all other countries (/me faint)

just spent a few thousand again on running the big diesel generator, :thumbdown:  but at least we managed to keep working. :thumbup:  The week ended just in time. :)  

We had one gas shower. 9l I think and 18kg bottle I think.. It's been a while. Used to get almost 3 months usage on the bottle. I was showering twice a day and the rest of the family (3) would alternate between bathing and showering in the evenings

I'm 100 percent off grid - the availability fee irks me no end.  I even had a guy from the local municipality (lost revenue department) google earth my house and contact me insisting I register my system.  As it's not yet law I refused.  I had an old meter that spun backwards as we generate far more than we use.  The municipality put an end to this and came and put in a digital system to monitor my feeding back into the grid.  So instead of giving them free power I've now set it not to feedback.

If I do feedback now it will actually cost me money bizarrely.  George muni has a fee to be on their solar scheme but as I don't need their power I can't get anything back for my monthly fee.  They won't allow the power we generate back to be offset against any fixed monthly fees like elec availability, refuse collection etc.  It can only be offset against consumption of electricity.

This insane situation has many south africans with excess power not pumping anything back.  

Our country cannot push out the watts required but wants to penalise those who lighten their burden.

I'm 100 percent off grid - the availability fee irks me no end. I even had a guy from the local municipality (lost revenue department) google earth my house and contact me insisting I register my system. As it's not yet law I refused. I had an old meter that spun backwards as we generate far more than we use. The municipality put an end to this and came and put in a digital system to monitor my feeding back into the grid. So instead of giving them free power I've now set it not to feedback.

If I do feedback now it will actually cost me money bizarrely. George muni has a fee to be on their solar scheme but as I don't need their power I can't get anything back for my monthly fee. They won't allow the power we generate back to be offset against any fixed monthly fees like elec availability, refuse collection etc. It can only be offset against consumption of electricity.

This insane situation has many south africans with excess power not pumping anything back.

Our country cannot push out the watts required but wants to penalise those who lighten their burden.

Did you see the twitter post from Tito Mbuweni?

https://m.fin24.com/Economy/South-Africa/mboweni-warns-that-without-big-reforms-its-game-over-for-sa-20200110