Cyclist down at Woodbridge island

Bernard Horn

Shattered. Don't have the words. Adré was a good friend, someone I admired and looked up to. A very capable and safety conscious cyclist - don't understand... My thoughts with his wife, 2 little kids who were supposed to start with school today for the first time, now without a dad. His mom & dad (also a passionate cyclist) with whom he was very close.

RIP old friend, for me cycling will never be the same again.

Yo.

This rips my heart out!!!!

RIP fellow cyclist and dad.

My daughter went on her first day last week and it breaks my heart thinking these kids need to go through all their life experiences alone.

Life is not fair.  :thumbdown:  :wacko:

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yo.

This rips my heart out!!!!

RIP fellow cyclist and dad.

My daughter went on her first day last week and it breaks my heart thinking these kids need to go through all their life experiences alone.

Life is not fair.  :thumbdown:  :wacko:

+1

Condolences and support to the family and friends.

R.I.P. Condolences to his family. I hate this time of the year. So many cyclists get killed. Stay safe out there.

A close friend and work colleague of mine for around 8 years. Adre (not Andre) has been a regular commuter training on this stretch long before the cycle lane was seriously considered and actively planned. He used the cycle path for 95% of his commuting and only used the road when his efforts were proper hardcore training! A seasoned roadie with many decent rides amongst the older amateur brigade. He was that strong guy that ended up riding at the front of the group for 80% of the ride, dragging us all along! Had a long chat with him 2 weeks ago about how he is stepping up his sprint training to increase his high intensity recovery doing tabata sprints again. (Something the two of us used to do together before the cycle lanes came about and we'd typically average upwards of 50kays along the stretch we would do these efforts on. Ironically it was always the stretch from Millies to Dolphin beach and man if the South Easter was pumping you could add another 5 to 10 kays just for that wind effect! Recall the odd day where we would be sucking through our ears upwards of 60 km\h in the run up towards Dolphin Beach, trying to see who could hold the last interval the longest!)

Adre has ridden the Argus 20 times. This coming year would've been his Club21 ride. He was aiming for a sub 3 effort and had stepped up his training to matching this goal! Had a decent outing at the Burger last year, doing a 2:34 and well on his way to building up speed for the Argus. As mentioned it has been something he and his father have shared a passion in for many years! His fastest ride at the Argus was a 2:49 when he was still a young buck!

I'm devastated for his wife Lorraine and his twins, as Skubarra has mentioned were supposed to start school today! 

Keeping your family in my thoughts and miss you already dude!

Perhaps the CTCTT could arrange a minute silence before the first start gun get's fired at this years race in honour of our fallen comrades who have lost their lives in the past year doing what they love?

A seasoned roadie with many decent rides amongst the older amateur brigade. He was that strong guy that ended up riding at the front of the group for 80% of the ride, dragging us all along! 

Yes, he was as beast. Few years back he was not really into his training while I was taking my cycling "very seriously". To my embarrassment he still comfortably kicked my ass on Chappies and other hill climbs on the few training rides he did join us.

Devastated for this family. Have reminded my boyfriend yet again that one day if we have kids I am against riding on the road for this exact reason. Clear that Adre was no amateur either he knew what he was doing, we just dont stand a chance. Off topic I would love to have a video footage of some of the shocking driver behaviour i have experienced with the MY City bus drivers while on my bike. They have no patience or respect for cyclists. 

Yes, he was as beast. Few years back he was not really into his training while I was taking my cycling "very seriously". To my embarrassment he still comfortably kicked my ass on Chappies and other hill climbs on the few training rides he did join us.

Agree, Adre had the smoothest pedal stroke I had seen.

A close friend and work colleague of mine for around 8 years. Adre (not Andre) has been a regular commuter training on this stretch long before the cycle lane was seriously considered and actively planned. He used the cycle path for 95% of his commuting and only used the road when his efforts were proper hardcore training! A seasoned roadie with many decent rides amongst the older amateur brigade. He was that strong guy that ended up riding at the front of the group for 80% of the ride, dragging us all along! Had a long chat with him 2 weeks ago about how he is stepping up his sprint training to increase his high intensity recovery doing tabata sprints again. (Something the two of us used to do together before the cycle lanes came about and we'd typically average upwards of 50kays along the stretch we would do these efforts on. Ironically it was always the stretch from Millies to Dolphin beach and man if the South Easter was pumping you could add another 5 to 10 kays just for that wind effect! Recall the odd day where we would be sucking through our ears upwards of 60 km\h in the run up towards Dolphin Beach, trying to see who could hold the last interval the longest!)

Adre has ridden the Argus 20 times. This coming year would've been his Club21 ride. He was aiming for a sub 3 effort and had stepped up his training to matching this goal! Had a decent outing at the Burger last year, doing a 2:34 and well on his way to building up speed for the Argus. As mentioned it has been something he and his father have shared a passion in for many years! His fastest ride at the Argus was a 2:49 when he was still a young buck!

I'm devastated for his wife Lorraine and his twins, as Skubarra has mentioned were supposed to start school today! 

Keeping your family in my thoughts and miss you already dude!

Wow truly heart-wrenching, with each person that comes forward to say a few words about Adre you begin to build a bit of a picture of the kind of guy he was and from what I've read the world is a poorer place without him.

Archived