Cyclist down at Woodbridge island

Bernard Horn

My condolences to his family, loved ones and friends.

Skub, is this the Andre who rides a black with white accent Giant Anthem 650b?

Hairy not that I know of, Adre wasn't really into mtb'ing, more of a roadie

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is always sad to note serious injury or the death of a fellow-cyclist. The main culprits causing these are truckers, minibus taxis, and buses. My condolences to his family and loved ones. My message to my fellow-cyclist: please take care and ride with extra caution in this time. There are so many people preparing for the CT Cycle Tour. Many motorists do not share our passion for cycling and consider us a nuisance and will not give an inch on the road. We also need to adhere to road safety regulations.

Condolences to the family and those that were close to him.

Really sad news and that it can happen to anyone.

Strength and prayers to the two kids and wife.

Be safe on the roads.

I ride that stretch of road so often with my wife and buddies and we always stick to the cycle lanes even tho it slows you down getting on and off pavements.

This is really sad though as my commute into work in the mornings has no cycle lane and I hug the yellow line all the way and just pray that the motorist/truckers gives me enough space.

We really need better signage up on cyclist populated routes as I use the road between Burgandy and Durbanville(Tiekiedraai) every 2nd day and there are tons of cyclists on that road but no signage to warn motorist of high volumes of cyclists.

Ride that way almost every day, with lights and on the path. Condolences to his family! Sad knowing where cyclists have gone down...

Rip Andre

Guys that section of road is just to dangerous to cycle with the cars just no space, stay on the cycle path. (even this morning there was a nutter weaving his way through)

I was riding home on my scooter last night and passed the scene.

the problem besides the trucks no seeing cyclists is the wind and last night the South Easter was pumping.

When these trucks pass you so close at the speeds they do, they also cause a suction and buffer you that can knock you off balance and end up under their wheels. 

My ride on the scooter was scary enough with the trucks and the wind I wont be riding in those conditions again.

RIP Andre. Deepest sympathy to family          

This is awful to hear, and also traumatic for those riders who witness such an incident. My thoughts and prayers to his family and friends. May God give them peace and comforting in this very difficult time. I also ride there every now and then, and I only use the cycle path. I have had a few close calls with especially MyCiti and Golden Arrow buses, who simply do not give a bicycle a second thought.

On that note though, yesterday evening the wife and I drove to derde steen for a stroll on the beach. She was driving, and as we approached a traffic circle on the road from the R27 to Big Bay, I told her to keep her eye on the roadie approaching the circle from our left as we were going around the circle. My wife intended to turn into the second exit towards Seaside Village indicating her intent, but this middle aged roadie just kept on cruising straight through the circle forcing my wife to swerve to the right in order not to collect him. The result was that the car behind almost klapped into us, and then we had to go around the circle again. Roadie just kept on going, not giving a toot about the fact that he almost had my wifes polo up his arse. I actually asked her to stop at the oke, as I wanted to give him a good and proper klap, but my wife refused to let me have at him, and just kept driving. As a fellow cyclist, this type of riding just gets my blood boiling, considering the already bad image cyclists have in this town in the eyes of the general public.

Now before everyone goes on the defensive or attack mode, I am just relating an incident that occurred to me last night, and by so doing I am in NO WAY inferring that this is what happened to Andre. May God bless his soul.

I ride that stretch of road so often with my wife and buddies and we always stick to the cycle lanes even tho it slows you down getting on and off pavements.

This is really sad though as my commute into work in the mornings has no cycle lane and I hug the yellow line all the way and just pray that the motorist/truckers gives me enough space.

We really need better signage up on cyclist populated routes as I use the road between Burgandy and Durbanville(Tiekiedraai) every 2nd day and there are tons of cyclists on that road but no signage to warn motorist of high volumes of cyclists.

Another big issue going on and off the cycle path (at the intersections), is there are signs (e.g. at Dolphin Beach) that clearly say pedestrians/cyclists have right of way on (the motorist's) left turn.

But because the traffic light is green, motorists seldom (if ever) obey this rule.

In this country, unfortunately, green = go regardless of the signs or green pedestrian lights, etc. even if there is someone crossing. Left turning cars in the city (Cape Town) pretty much drive over you, even if it's your turn to cross (as a pedestrian/cyclist, etc.)

RIP Adré, such a gentlemen and nice guy. May your ride continue on the Champs-Élysées in the sky..

Archived