Green cycle lanes in Bree Street misuse

raymakestv

We have the same problem here with the cycle lane in Joburg, no one cares, not even metro.

What are the correct measurements to take? Pics, and then report them, to who?

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We have the same problem here with the cycle lane in Joburg, no one cares, not even metro.

What are the correct measurements to take? Pics, and then report them, to who?

Wayne Minnaar...who'll deny it ever happened.

In Joburg cycling lanes are mostly used by runners, and boy do they get uppity if you get too close, and by motorists throwing glass bottles out their cars.

Guest Smimby

Report them all. City will fine them accordingly afaik. They need to police this properly

I promise you nothing will happen, I have been reporting busses and bad driving for years now....nothing

The only thing the green cycle lanes in Bree St are good for is parking.

I use them daily on my commute to work and for the past two years I have made the authorites aware of the misuse (particularly outside the electrical hardware store between 7 and 9am) with no progress.

One begins to wonder what the point of even trying is..

and those drivers outside the electrical store don't like being told they can not park in the green lane either!

This was taken up nearly 3 years ago and it seems the situation has not changed.

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/120238-rant-cape-town-city-cycle-lanes/

I wrote to the City at the time, attaching photos and descriptions of vehicles parked dangerously and illegally. If they can't even go after what seem like sitting ducks (the vehicles involved), I don't feel full of confidence that the 1-metre law will be applied with any vigour.

...with a leaky bottle of brake fluid in the basket.

WTF is wrong with a nice carbon fibre cycling shoe contact with a mirror.... at speed....

or possible some pepper spray in an airconditioning duct.... :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

So when did anyone last see a traffic law being enforced in CT? Well, besides speed limits, which involves sitting under a tree with a radar, coffee and a doughnut?

I very much doubt that a cycle lane is higher on the traffic department's list of priorities than finding a shady spot to have a nap or ignoring moving violations.

I think the sticker idea is a good one.

So when did anyone last see a traffic law being enforced in CT? Well, besides speed limits, which involves sitting under a tree with a radar, coffee and a doughnut?

I very much doubt that a cycle lane is higher on the traffic department's list of priorities than finding a shady spot to have a nap or ignoring moving violations.

I think the sticker idea is a good one.

I very often see the traffic cops fining parked cars outside the Cape Quarter area ... you know, where there is just about no street parking, but a huge underground payed parking area one can use.

Many of the cars parked illegally (as viewed from my window) are big ticket / expensive cars who park just where they please.

This is within a short walking distance from the traffic office though.

WTF is wrong with a nice carbon fibre cycling shoe contact with a mirror.... at speed....

or possible some pepper spray in an airconditioning duct.... :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

I like your thinking, but you have to be sure of speed with the shoe option...had an issue with a spring-loaded mirror once... :blush: