Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

What happened to the ALTERNATIVE ROUTE?  This is not an alternative route ,but merely a shortened route. 

Whilst I agree that the bigger picture of people losing property etc is more significant than us having to ride a shorter distance in a bike race, I also have to agree with renburg - this is not a plan B. It's a "planned nothing".

Hats off the to fire fighters and volunteers risking their lives, big sympathies to the locals effected by this tragic event.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Perhaps it's a good idea to forget about the 'race' and do it for the spirit!

Tubehunter what you say we bring the mini mal and hit muzzies

Yoh, I'm liking this idea dude! Let me see if I can organise a board on the bike rack!

No, there is lots they could do. This is a cop out, a very big cop out.

As Blackbeard said on another thread - there should have been a plan route C, D and E.

Not just a peninsula ride.

This is a slap in the face to the many riders from overseas and up country.

Instead of cancelling they are trying to "save face" and do a "something is better than nothing" with a positive spin on "lets do it for cape town ride"

This is bull TWANG ! What about the other fires in the overberg. No man I hate to use the words but this is bordering on cowardly and again - no planning.

Hell they could have sent us for a 50km ride down the n7 and back. or the N2 frikken heck.

Personally, with comments like you have been making here, I think you are way too opinionated to be a moderator on this site.

It was never foreseen that 3 our of the 4 possible roads could be knocked out at the same time, as said earlier, this is a once in a lifetime disaster. Moving to a completely different area like the West Coast cannot logistically be done in 3 days, not for a ride of this size. Sad as it is, the decision has been made.

And there we have it...

daveM, my comments are beyond belief, simply because I expected so much more of the cycle trust, and just feel totally let down. I expected them to show what a world class organisation they are. Perhaps I am disapointed because I never expected them to shorten the route as some form of  a compromise and then try sell it as a solidarity ride.

*as an aside, and not discounting multiple personalities, if I was also reading my posts without being in my head, I would say the same things as you to me*

I think you greatly simplify the options available to the CTCT organisers. I don't think that "alternative routes" ever include an entire 109km route in addition to the normal one. There must be some alternative stretches, e.g. Ou Kaapse Weg + Constantia neck for incase Chappies proves unusable. But to have an entire full length route in reserve seems impossible: think of all the community liaision, permissions etc you would have to have in place to get full road closures for a full route? The organisers also clearly stated that the emergency services and city officials are under severe strain because of the fires and there simply are not enough resources to fully support a massive event like the tour and still keep the fires out of our houses. It is definitely not just about choosing a piece of road and blocking it off...

As for the support services: last night we sat on our stoep watching a new fire start just above Ocean View when none of the main fires were even close to it. Today: a new fire in Cape Point. Can you even imagine under what strain the city's resources are?

I'm amazed at the negative comments. I'm clearly disappointed, but to blame anyone, except possibly the person who started the fire, is irrational.

Whoever thinks that this is cop-out by PPA is clearly ignorant to the logistical issues associated with Cycle Tour, this is not a simple group ride.

I'll ride on Sunday to show my support to the brave guys who've been battling the fires in atrocious conditions over the past couple of days.

Right attitude. We are all bummed... it sux, but PPA did a good job explaining in their email the different options they had and why they could not use them. To go out of cape town on the N1 or N2 with all the different traffic departments and route closures would be impossible, and there is no other route to get a 100km ride if you dont use the peninsula.

47km is a joke.... but its all they could do. Its still better than cancelling the event.

Like I just said, I just expected so much more, but not this. And the wife just hit me with the frying pan and has taken me on with my comments as well! Tell you what and I have re read the statement from the trust again, if the cycle trust truly thinks this should be a solidarity ride, they should make a significant donation of entry money to the fire fighters or the wildfire services. And I really want you guys to take me on with this - but I cannot get out my head two things from the statement.1. There never was an alternative route planned, other than always going down the peninsula (the notable absence highlights this)2. It has now gone to far into "chasing money" That said - I will be on the start line, in my seeding group. And just amble along as always. And just as chirpy. Maybe Thor you sprint the first lap and join me for a champers breakfast before I do my first lap ?

Actually, I don't disagree with you at all. (sssshhhh... Don't tell anyone)

And I have already decided to drop back and ride with my friends who have all started riding this year. Gonna be fun! :)

(Ps. Finished my course of antibiotics today... Sort of happy, cos I know I was going to hurt myself on sunday)

It was never foreseen that 3 our of the 4 possible roads could be knocked out at the same time, as said earlier, this is a once in a lifetime disaster. Moving to a completely different area like the West Coast cannot logistically be done in 3 days, not for a ride of this size. Sad as it is, the decision has been made.

Yes, not difficult to understand. Severity + timing = plans A-X useless.

Who cares what the race cost, I'm going down for the weekend to enjoy myself, spend time with an old friend I only see once or twice a year.

Kudos to the organisers for doing something in difficult times.

We can now drink like fish, and still get a sub 3. I'm looking forward to a fantastic long weekend

It was never foreseen that 3 our of the 4 possible roads could be knocked out at the same time, as said earlier, this is a once in a lifetime disaster. Moving to a completely different area like the West Coast cannot logistically be done in 3 days, not for a ride of this size. Sad as it is, the decision has been made.

SNAP!!!!

I will make the best of it and enjoy my day out:

Firstly, Team DJR will indeed this year ride together for a 4 man finish.

Secondly, we'll have breakfast at the finish in stead of lunch

Thirdly, I will enjoy the view coming back over Hospital Bend into the City. I missed the "detours" so have never cycled the M3 in that direction.

Personally, from the start I will climb Hospital Bend and Edinburgh Drive at full throttle, something I have never done when it was at the start of a long ride. Then I'll sit and relax the rest of the way.

wish they would not try and sugar coat the decision with sentimentality. Suspect the Capetonians are going to hate us, traffic is going to be a royal nightmare now the main access route has just been closed off by the return leg of the funride.

What happened to the ALTERNATIVE ROUTE?  This is not an alternative route ,but merely a shortened route. 

Are you my ex-wife? I am not convinced there can be two such self centered people alive.

Put yourself in the shoes of the organizers, emergency agencies, city officials etc. who have possibly not slept for 3 days and then recognize that this is, however disappointing to you, what is known in legal parlance, as an act of God

I have flight, car hire, bike transport and accommodation cost to bear and recognize rheir difficulty.

What have you lost compared to those who have worked to make anything happen?

so much complaining.....?

Much complaining.

People complaining while livelihoods are being threatened from fires.

Just enjoy the ride peeps, if its such a problem dont ride.

I think this is a total cop out; they have our money so do not give a toss.

Just think what they could have come up with, had we only paid on the day???

West coast..... or  to Stellenbosch...:

Obviously not exposed to the daily stresses we in business have to deal with daily.