Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

Like I just said, I just expected so much more, but not this. And the wife just hit me with the frying pan and has taken me on with my comments as well!

Tell you what and I have re read the statement from the trust again, if the cycle trust truly thinks this should be a solidarity ride, they should make a significant donation of entry money to the fire fighters or the wildfire services.

And I really want you guys to take me on with this - but I cannot get out my head two things from the statement.

1. There never was an alternative route planned, other than always going down the peninsula (the notable absence highlights this)

2. It has now gone to far into "chasing money"

That said - I will be on the start line, in my seeding group. And just amble along as always. And just as chirpy. Maybe Thor you sprint the first lap and join me for a champers breakfast before I do my first lap ?

*Edit: I will have my own bottle of champers in the bag and a glass cause if I find a firefighter I will have a drink with them*

Hey thanks Mrs Slowbee, I think that slap with the frying pan did His Slowness a lot of good, he is sounding much more rational in this post. Just one more little bang on the head and he will be his old sensible self again.

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys this is bigger than our vanity. People have lost homes, belongings and some are still in danger. 100's of people are fighting this thing day and night. Cape Town and its people have lost 100's of millions of Rands... And we are worried about what? A sub 3 or 4? A fun ride? Come on guys.

I think our people (and us) need to see the thousands of riders lining up in support. Take an easy ride, and show everyone the value that cyclists (with our bad rap and all) can bring to lifting the morale of a city devastated by this fire.

Edited by Maniax

isn't there still a fire in Constantia?

Update on the fire - wind has shifted and smoke is going into CT central. May make things a tad more difficult. Wind projected to get to 40 kph over the course of tomorrow

Oh well, life happens. I said if they cancel it im selling my road bike to build an MTB.....So with the route more than halved and not cancelled I cant sell my whole bike....do I sell my frame, wheels or groupset?? :whistling: :P

I think this is a total cop out; they have our money so do not give a toss.

Just think what they could have come up with, had we only paid on the day???

West coast..... or  to Stellenbosch...:

Obviously not exposed to the daily stresses we in business have to deal with daily.

Stresses like fighting fires ... ?

“Don’t judge someone until you’ve walked a mile in their shoes”

Why don't we try and organise a hub group ride on sat, take a collection and donate it to the cause? I don't know Cape Town that well, maybe meet at Seapoint pool and go from there?

oh that's a great plan,

meet the lads at Van der Graaf's Pool. Its tidal. Wear bibs.

tisk tisk snigger snigger

Oh well, life happens. I said if they cancel it im selling my road bike to build an MTB.....So with the route more than halved and not cancelled I cant sell my whole bike....do I sell my frame, wheels or groupset?? :whistling:  :P

street or thehub pricing?

look.......you cannot host an event of this magnitude and not have some kind of backup plan......................especially at the over inflated charge of R 430 per entry. that's 15 million.....just from entry fees alone.

my thoughts and prayers go out to those who have been hit by this terrible event however the fact remains the PPA are not in this for free.......if they want to stage a 47km race then at least have the decency to refund those who decline to take part.

if you pay for something and that service isnt delivered then a refund is in order........claiming force majure here and simply pocketing the money isnt on. I mean.........here is a simple 105k route that has a couple of decent climbs and can be well managed and policed and cater for everyone.

https://www.google.co.za/maps/dir/-33.9194808,18.4284415/-33.6524935,18.4507512/-33.6473092,18.5281507/-33.7689736,18.6375312/-33.8052491,18.5603024/-33.8493845,18.5362698/-33.9007777,18.4889328/-33.9165888,18.4269736/@-33.6936766,18.5527345,13z/data=!4m15!4m14!1m0!1m5!3m4!1m2!1d18.4803965!2d-33.644062!3s0x1dccf2613dfa8939:0xb2c5be8d3304aa6!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!1m0!3e0

As I type this people I know in Joburg are cancelling their flights and accom. This is a huge f-up. Going to have major implications for the city.

True that. But have you thought what implications the fire has had on the city? We're popping in and out - these people have to carry on with their lives despite the setbacks. We need to count our blessings... 

Perhaps it's a good idea to forget about the 'race' and do it for the spirit!

Tubehunter what you say we bring the mini mal and hit muzzies

Surf looks good for Saturday. Don't have to worry about spending too long in the water and being tired for the Argus!