Cape Town Cycle Tour will go ahead, detour route now 47km

carbon29er

Thor Buttox, on 05 Mar 2015 - 08:13 AM, said:

I have experienced them as totally insane during last year's 99er when I had a puncture and ended up in H group. And that is 3000

You will run out of the alphabet if you experience a puncture on Chappies. 

• Replies 944
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I will be at the start line on Sunday in my 8A chute since I have never done one before. I will trap that 47km like my life depends on it, I will get the best time I possibly can over the distance, I will enjoy the vibe, I will have a beer afterwards with my mates, I will enjoy the crap out of the day, I will most likely go do a lap around Meerendal later in the arvie, I will look back with fondness on that day because of the gees of the people in this town who are willing to unite in the face of disaster, and mostly I will smile in years to come remembering this day when it is mentioned for the zillionth time in the news when people talk about it, saying "remember that year the tour was only 47km" At least I will be able to say, Yeah, I was there!

That's the spirit! I will be there and will treasure all the good memories of us Capies standing together the past week. I salute the brave fire fighters!

Hi Guys and girls

I have some people in Cape Town who are now interested in Riding Argus this year, due to its shortened "fun ride" nature. If any of you have entries that you are not using please let me know. PM me..or contact me on 0827225588

Jissus, but there are many stupid, ignorant selfish, uncaring, self centered, short sighted, dumb arseholes that cycle. Reading some of the posts above, I feel ashamed for their sake! Please, all of you negativity suckers,  stay at home on Sunday and watch the rest of us do an amazing, unique, friendly, positive ride in solidarity with each other, Cape Town and its' fire fighters.

Edited by DJR

Is the Argus (cpct) really the B all and end all of your cycling careers?

There are bigger things happening in life than guys wanting to get their beloved "sub 3" in the argus! There are other races out there. MTB races have to be cancelled/altered all the time due to weather and unforseen circumstances. 

Grow up

Hi Guys and girls

I have some people in Cape Town who are now interested in Riding Argus this year, due to its shortened "fun ride" nature. If any of you have entries that you are not using please let me know. PM me..or contact me on 0827225588

as far as i know substitutions have already closed, so anyone riding with someone elses entry still face disciplinary action, and so does the rider that allowed someone else to ride with his number. 

its going to be fun, something different and hopefully there will people cheering you the entire way seeing that it's out and back.

I for one am totally off road riding right now, so a morning of NO cars is my idea of having a good bike ride.

I will be at the start line on Sunday in my 8A chute since I have never done one before. I will trap that 47km like my life depends on it, I will get the best time I possibly can over the distance, I will enjoy the vibe, I will have a beer afterwards with my mates, I will enjoy the crap out of the day, I will most likely go do a lap around Meerendal later in the arvie, I will look back with fondness on that day because of the gees of the people in this town who are willing to unite in the face of disaster, and mostly I will smile in years to come remembering this day when it is mentioned for the zillionth time in the news when people talk about it, saying "remember that year the tour was only 47km" At least I will be able to say, Yeah, I was there!

That IS the spirit.

interesting hearing two sides of the same situation on cape talk this morning: Theo Lane said he had a look at the chappies nets, and he doesn't see a major problem with the nets, nor increased risk of rock falls because the rains were not substantial enough. Now this a subjective assessment, but it was based on as-seen conditions mixed in with experience on these matters

This is in stark contrast to the PERCEPTION being created by the organisers (no doubt based on input from the city engineers), that chappies is off limits because of 'uncertainty' around the nets and the risk of rock falls.

My curiousity is around the element of risk: with the situation as it is now, has the risk realistically increased above the 'baseline' risk considered acceptable to the point the situation is considered unacceptable? Have the city engineers actually gone to eyeball chappies? I ask because I work in a very risk-averse industry, yet i've seen some rubbish risk assessments based almost purely on sentiment, not the eye-witnessed fact of the matter. Even David Bellairs, who was interviewed immediately after Theo Lane, admitted genuine surprise at the contradictory information he just heard concerning the state of the catchnets on chappies versus what was said in the deliberations yesterday. This is egg on face stuff IMO.

I heard the same interview. What surprised me was that Theo Lane said they had viewed Chapman's Peak from the helicopter. He stated that they could see that the catchment nets were damaged, but that a on the scene inspection was necessary to determine the degree. In the next breath he stated that Chappies was safe for use. I wondered at the contradiction.

From their FB page:

Riders will not be able to ride the Cape Town Cycle Tour twice this year due to the change in route.

So like I said earlier, we will still be in Cape Town this weekend and we will still do the ride.

Shorter route is completely understandable and I can also understand that to arrange a new route is out of the question.

BUT

Why cant we ride a second lap? I entered and paid for a second lap and I will be back very early from my first lap so whats the problem?

And whats happening with the money we paid for the second lap?

You will run out of the alphabet if you experience a puncture on Chappies.

Nah, now I only use long stem tubes that fit my fricken bomb adaptor! 2 min! :)