2015 Momentum 947

ScottCM

I cannot get over the fact that the riders in the back groups don't do any slipstreaming or bunch riding. It is as if they want to suffer. Didn't see any attempt other than 2nd lappers (we started 2nd last group).

Its because they just dont know how to or why its done. Plenty of times iv tried to help people back during club rides and they just dont hold a wheel. Its frustrating.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its because they just dont know how to or why its done. Plenty of times iv tried to help people back during club rides and they just dont hold a wheel. Its frustrating.

I must Confess. . If I had to do a road race.. I too would have no clue what to do and how to do it.. yes I see it on TV ..but I only know road racing in theory. . I would fail the practical exam.[emoji12]

I must Confess. . If I had to do a road race.. I too would have no clue what to do and how to do it.. yes I see it on TV ..but I only know road racing in theory. . I would fail the practical exam.[emoji12]

......but Berg and Bush.....seasoned pro.

Lol fair enough. Maybe im being harsh. I think its also a confidence thing. Big bunch riding can easily put less experienced riders off. If only they could learn like Talus says they suffer unnecessarily

For a slow rider like me the Q start was good despite a 28 Degree C temperature. I kept to a casual start which seemed to have helped with the energy levels. No groups on the M1 which I hoped for to try and get some speed on that section, so I switched to chatting to cyclists every now and again. Randburg Section was tough as always but no problems where cyclists blocked the road at water points. Wind got really nasty on Malibongwe but was a great help up Cedar. Switched to MTB mode going through Steyn city over the speed bumps. MEasured almost 42 Degrees C on the climbds in Steyn City (insane!). Finished around 4:16 with knobblies (I'm equally slow on slicks).

Saw no crashes, and all cyclist was well behaved. I just don't get the sudden slow-down on uphills (or maybe its just my momentum).

94.7 will always be a tough race, but I'll probably do it again next year...

Yeah, I was in the same boat - also had a Q start, but it was a solo effort from start to finish (except for about 2-5km where I rode with a group but they splintered when he hit Joe Slovo). Wind and heat was a killer.

Saw one guy fall in Steyn City at the last circle but didn't look too serious.

Was my first 94.7, I achieved my sub 4 hour goal, will be back next year.

Felt it was well organised, and traffic in and out of the venue was a breeze.

Edit: Grammar

Edited by Fr0st

Yeah that was scary. We(VA) had a dropped elite in our group and he did some seriously hair raising stunts over that bump. How he stayed on and didn't bring some of us down i dont know. We hit that bump at 60kph. Then the brick things in the traffic circles are off putting for me. Im scared to go full tilt around them.

The front of VD hit the bump at 87 kph.  Guy felt just in front of me, but could avoid him.  I picked up a serious speed wobble, but could luckily hold on to correct it.

Edited by Underachiever

It was an awesome day out for me.  Did a 3.12ish which is my best time in the last few years.  All went well - no major issues.  It's very well organised and also saw no big crashes.  The roads did SEEM a bit worse this  year than last but hard to say for sure.  There were a few road hazards that weren't marked which is not ideal - if they mark some, they should ideally mark all (the big ones anyway) as you start to look out for the green or pink spray paint.  

I must say though, I think if someone new to cycling wants to do this race, either get yourself seeded so you start before 8.30am or really think carefully about doing this ride.  It's usually hot and often windy and those guys starting at 10am and riding in for a 4/5/6/7 hour ride cannot enjoy the experience that much surely!  

My father in law started at 10am and ended up being picked up by the bus but it sounds like there was a fairly serious veld fire near the end which might have prompted them to close the route a bit earlier than usual?  Anyone see the fire?  

Hi all. I found this at the 3rd water point on the race today. I tried to give it to someone important but they weren't interested and then by the end of the race I had forgotten it was in my back pocket. If it is yours let me know and I'm sure we can organise its returnpost-64133-0-70372300-1447616329_thumb.jpg

I have to agree with a previous comment that this was a really well organised event this year. It sure was hot, and windy, and I can't remember seeing so many people sitting under the bridges (shade) before. The spirit in general from the people we (bunch of second lappers) spoke to and passed were really positive despite the heat and wind.

2 bottles used on lap 1, and 5 bottles on lap 2. At one point the wind wasn't blowing and it was 36°C... why were we there wearing black shirts? Love of the sport, I guess.

Congrats to everyone that smashed their PB, hard luck to those that didn't, or punctured, crashed, or had a bad day. It happens and hopefully you get motivated to give it another go in 2016.

Edited by geraldm24

Hi all. I found this at the 3rd water point on the race today. I tried to give it to someone important but they weren't interested and then by the end of the race I had forgotten it was in my back pocket. If it is yours let me know and I'm sure we can organise its returnattachicon.gifDSC05116-min.JPG

Sadly I did not get the guys name, he was looking for it everywhere.  He was in the sweeper vehicle with me.

Very well organised indeed. My 11th 94.7 and one of the best in my opinion.

Traffic in and out of the venue was a breeze, huge improvement from 2014. Cyclists well behaved, saw no crashes, spectators and water points great as always.

Thought starting groups were a bit big (but I guess there is no other way with such a big field) and speed humps at Steyn City could have been better marked.

Well done!

Rode from I group and managed a 3h25. Then started the second lap at 10h38 (all by myself - all the groups had already left).

Rode by myself for an eternity - never been so hot and tired!!! Second lap in 4h24. My body is shaking and I can't sleep ... But glad I can cross a double loop off my bucket list!!!!!

Only got my second wind going down the hill past Ponte.

Stopped at every water point, had a leg and back massage at the entrance to Bryanston. Was the hardest day I have ever had on a bike - total time in the saddle of 8 hours and 40 minutes and total distance covered of about 202 km (I parked at Leaping Frog and rode to the start and from the finish).

Would I do it again? HELL YES!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Grogs

Starting toward the end with buddies...found people just stopped dead in the middle of the road at all water points. They were hanging around aimlessly and not heading toward the drinks table...very frustrating.

Also people walking with bikes in middle of road...not pulling off to side...eish...think some behaviour tips should come back into the racepack books.

Water tables not running smoothly..They were filling 2l coke bottles and dispensing from them...takes way too long...what happened to those sprayers that they had in previous years?

Thought the end was a little *** compared to when at waterfall...uphill..must be cool for pros ending but for the vetties it just makes for a slow and miserable finish.

Biggest problem is slack discipline with littering...cyclists just gooi their litter wherever they feel like....it is just not right.