The Louis Meintjes Thread

Bianchisti

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Said it on a number of occasions... this year Louis will get a offer he cant refuse from the big name teams. MTN is a great stepping stone but he deserves a team that can set him up for the big mountains

Said it on a number of occasions... this year Louis will get a offer he cant refuse from the big name teams. MTN is a great stepping stone but he deserves a team that can set him up for the big mountains

The only offer "to good to refuse" should be a second fiddle role to Chris at Sky or #1 at somewhere like Lotto-Jumbo.

And I think he can afford to be somewhat 'arrogant' about it at this stage. Another year at MTN won't be such a bad thing. The riders was always key with Douglas. He built the team gradually with the rider' natural progression. Louis body still needs to adapt and grow naturally.

Edited by Bianchisti

The only offer "to good to refuse" should be a second fiddle role to Chris at Sky or #1 at somewhere like Lotto-Jumbo.

And I think he can afford to be somewhat 'arrogant' about it at this stage. Another year at MTN won't be such a bad thing. The riders was always key with Douglas. He built the team gradually with the rider' natural progression. Louis body still needs to adapt and grow naturally.

I think a lot depends on whether MTN stays at Pro-Conti level. If they move up to World Tour then there is no need for him to go elsewhere, given access to all the top races. That said, there doesn't seem to be any shortage of invites this year..

What's his best argus time, he done a sub three yet?

I know that was asked tongue in cheek, but if I recall correctly it was about 2:40 a few years back.

And he can smash the classics.... 12th at LBL today! Can't wait to see where this youngster will be in a few years...

Edited by Eldron

So they pay the Europeans in the team more than the South Africans... How long do you think he will stick around at Qhubeka? 

But many of the Europeans (and other big names) were brought in to get points for the team with the changes to system from next year. Sadly they haven't lived up to their high value status (yet)

I know that was asked tongue in cheek, but if I recall correctly it was about 2:40 a few years back.

Yes it was, but You're wrong! :ph34r:  :ph34r:

I had to check racetec, he did do a 2:40 in 2013. but a 2:34 in 2011 was better!

but it looks like he's only done 2 Argii, so he's still a junior rider.

• 1 month later...

Liven this up a bit.

Criterium du Dauphine #7: Louis Meintjes 3rd on Queen stage

13 June 2015 - 08:25 | Press

The 7th and queen stage of the Criterium du Dauphine would be a spectacular day for MTN-Qhubeka p/b Samsung. Louis Meintjes put in a phenomenal ride to claim 3rd place on the stage, only beaten by stage victor Chris Froome (Team Sky) and Tejay van Garderen (BMC Racing)!

https://www.bikehub.co.za/features/_/news/road/international-road/criterium-du-dauphine-7-louis-meintjes-3rd-on-queen-stage-r2763

Edited by Bianchisti

this okie is peaking for a big tour. i can just feel it.

LOL...no pressure

Hopefully he has a good management team behind him and they don't let him burnout.

Its early days and I hope he does not over do it just yet

• 5 years later...

So why has the Cheese not matured with age?

a 2nd at u23 WC and two 8ths GC at le tour.

but that is ancient history now, Contador was still riding back then!

Looking at the yates/quintana/Aru crowd of that era, they are being overhauled by yungstas this year.

I don't know how this story can somehow take a twist, but it appears that LM is heading on the path of a great star that just fizzled before ever shining brightly.

The move to DDD/NTT doesn't seem to have worked, but that is maybe just coincidental. 

give me hope, should we be more excited about Zwift lockdown results?

edit:many threads, this one seemed the most apt.

Edited by Shebeen

• 1 year later...