• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Well we're 21 days into what was originally a 15 day Lockdown. Our latest end date - given at the weekend - is 25th April. There are rumours that at certain dates prior to that they will slowly allow groups of people back to work. Fingers crossed I can go back sooner rather than later. Losing 45 days work at this time of year has been a blow, as it been for millions of people all over the world. 

This "quiet time" has given us an opportunity to think carefully about the future and what path we want to be on - and I'm happy to say that we still feel like we're doing what's right for us and for the right reasons, even if it is a bit nerve wracking at times! 

Best wishes to everyone!

Tony.

• 1 month later...

After 6 odd weeks of lockdown it was certainly nice to be able to get out again and last evening we did a 6km walk/hike from Boltaña up to the village of Sieste and back.

It was a beautiful evening after a hot day. We had our masks with us just incase, but we didn't need them.

The view of Boltaña was taken from half way up to Sieste. You can see the remains of the historic castle up on the top, the Old Town below it and the New Town down at the bottom. The river Ara passes between where we were standing and the town - just below the shot.

Sieste is a beautiful little village with view points in all directions, a fresh water fountain, a terrace bar . . . . 

post-4874-0-64031800-1590389315_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-25220300-1590389324_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-96441700-1590389334_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

After posting on the "Song of the Day" thread I thought I'd put this here . . . . 

We're coming out of lockdown, visitors are starting to arrive and the sun is shining. After a tough week at work today is a day off, so I'm hitting the trails for a couple of hours.

Depending on where I'm riding and how I'm feeling, I sometimes ride with my old MP3 player and listen to music - makes me ride faster and harder! I have quite a "mixed" selection of songs but when something like this comes on I'm reminded of the Spanish culture of Fiestas - Partying and Dancing late into the warm summer nights (I wish I could dance!!!) - and I look around wherever I'm riding, the mountains & rivers, the views, the amazing MTB trails..... and I just love this place.

"Bailando"  (Dancing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8I-7Wk_Vbc

• 2 weeks later...

For some time now I've been meaning to post an update regarding "Working in Spain", and specifically about US working in Spain . . . .  I'll spread it over a few days . . . .

When we came here the intention was not to have to work. Or rather "not to have to find jobs". We knew that the Spanish unemployment rate was fairly high - nearly 15% last year. We knew we were moving to an un-industrialised area - Tourism and Agriculture are the two biggest industries here in the mountains, and we knew that there would be a language barrier. The intention was, as most of you will know by now, to renovate the our building and then run it as a B&B which would keep us both busy and provide us with a suitable income.

People here work different hours compared to what we're used to and there are some old "traditions" that are a way of life here which are different - but you soon get used to them.....

Most businesses open / workers start at either 8am or 9am - depending on the nature of the work - and then close at 2pm for a 2hr lunch break. They open again at 4pm and close at either 7pm or 8pm - again depending on the nature of the business. The lunch break is long enough for you to have a decent sized lunch - the main meal of the day here - and a 20 minute Siesta :-)

Mid morning - around 11ish - they have what they call "Almuerzo" (pronounced Almertho) which is a 15 minute break for a coffee and a sandwich or a couple of slices of ham and some olives.

Buliders here, who tend to be Romanian labourers working for Spanish building companies, start the day with a shot or two of Firewater. These guys are as hard as nails, used to working in all weathers and conditions, and can drink like you wouldn't believe! I don't generally have to work with them, which is good because I'm a bit of a light-weight by comparison...….

• 1 month later...

Every village in Spain has a Fiesta once a year and this weekend is traditionally the weekend that the village of Guaso, where our Project is, holds its 4 day long Fiesta.

The church on the hilltop in Guaso is called the "Iglesia de San Salvador" (the Church of Saint Salvador)  - so San Salvador, which is celebrated on August 6th (when the church celebrates the transfiguration of Jesus) is the Patron Saint of Guaso.

This year there will be a mass on Sunday but, thanks to Covid-19, no street parties, no "Ronda" (where musicians lead the crowd through the sreets of the village), no big open-air sit down evening meal and no dancin' the night away . . . .

Last year, as you can see, we had a ball!

post-4874-0-54959800-1596309785_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-80352300-1596309796_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-87085700-1596309806_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-50071300-1596309816_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bonus

"Working in Spain" - Part 2.

For our first 18 months here, knowing that work was hard to come by at the best of times and being under the impression that the banks would have the financing sorted out for our Project fairly quickly, we didn't worry about looking for proper jobs at all........ ah those were the days! 

Our plan was always, and still is, to do as much of the renovation work on the Project as possible ourselves - so once the Project build started that was going to be both of our full time jobs - 7 days a week. Once the Project was finshed and the business was up and running, then again, that would be our full time work - and being a B&B/Guesthouse it would also 7 days a week for much of the year. Neither of those scenarios were an issue for us - one thing we're not scared of is hard work!

During our first months here, while waiting for the council to approve our planning permision and the banks to approve our loan, we actually did lots of "work" but we didn't have jobs....

I was busy helping my new friends at "Zona Zero" clear and maintain mountain bike trails - work I loved doing - outside in the Pyrenees mountains with great weather and great people. I learned a lot about all local villages and footpaths during that time - Angel often took me to see stuff that you'd never know was there unless someone told you - and I made some good friends too.

We also both did a lot of work helping the previous owners of our Project (and our future neighbours) Ramon & Rosa with jobs around the farm. We helped them with the animals, the grape harvest, planting next years wheat - you name it we did it. Again, good hard work outside in the sunshine with our amazing sights and views - a massive change from what we were used to.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
"Working in Spain" - Part 3.

Whilst out clearing trails one Autumn afternoon with my friend Angel Cheliz - the owner of the local "Intersport" bike & sports shop, we got to talking about work and, in the face of everything seemingly  taking forever to proceed over here, my need to find a job.

Angel told me that with my experience I should contact the local campsites with a view to getting something the following spring for the summer season. The following February I prepared a CV, focusing on the parts of my work experience that were relevant, and within a week I started work at "Camping Ainsa" - one of the four local campsites.

For me it's the perfect job. I generally spend a minimum of 80% of each day working outside in the sunshine doing jobs I really enjoy under the watchful eyes of the Pyrenees mountains. After so long "working inside" over the years - Eskom Power Stations, R&D Labs, Customers Factories, Offices . . . . it's a happy change. I have amazing views, fresh air and to a large extent I'm left to myself.

At the beginning of the year it's a very physical job - lots pf grounds maintenance - fallen trees, a billion leaves to clear up, half-meter high grass to cut and sorting out whatever else Winter has thrown our way - but it's a great way to stay in shape. Like doing Gym all day - but you get paid :-)

During the season it can get a bit hectic - there are 26 Cabins/Chalets of various sizes - all with showers, toilets, water heaters and even furniture - just waiting to break or go wrong. Plus all the communial services, the swimming pools and the general grounds where tents & caravans park up. But it keeps me busy and I get to meet lots of interesting people from all over Europe - including tons of cyclists who I can advise and sometimes even guide "out of hours".

Work here where we live is hard to come by. I'm fortunate in that I'm able to do a physically demanding job whilst also having the technical background to manage pretty much anything complicated that comes up.

I always thought that the job would tide me over until we can get our project built and our business running - but in fact we're now thinking that it would be worth me keeping the job even when we're open. "Wendy" will manage our place, with my help when I'm not at work - which will generate enough income to pay for itself - and my income will support us and pay our own "non B&B related" bills.

That's the plan anyway . . . . . . 

Edited by Bonus

Some pictures from "The Office" . . . . 

During the Lockdown the boss got me a "Permission to Work" letter based on the fact that he needed me to work so that the campsite would be ready to roll once Lockdown was over. 

It was strange to see the sight empty in June - the family have been running the place for 30 years and have never once seen it like this during the season before......

post-4874-0-02226800-1598725255_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-03542300-1598725268_thumb.jpg

post-4874-0-29590600-1598725284_thumb.jpg

You're lucky to be able to work outdoors Tony. Enjoy the rest of summer.

I do love it :-)

Working outside has far more pros than cons as far as I'm concerned!

Today my contract was extended 'til the end of September. Numbers of visitors are low now and to be honest, the boss could easily have just put me on "day-work", but he didn't.

At the begining of the year, back in mid February, I was the first person to start work at the Campsite. During lockdown I was told that when work was allowed to resume I would be "the first person that comes back to work" (and I was) and now I'm the only person with an extended contract.

My attitude towards work is simple. "Turn up on time, work hard, be honest & be pleasant, and do that bit extra whenever it's needed....."

It's taken a while, but I'm finally winning the family over :-)