Show us your KOMs on Strava

Ryno.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's the wrong time to roll it out though. Due to the coronachan, people are invariably riding less, and comparing their stats less, so the switch to the paid content isn't necessary for most.

Coupled to the fact that economically the entire world is under pressure, the price seems steep, especially in non-Dollar based economies.

I guess we'll see, but I've already moved back to MapMyRide (where I've been since 2011).

I disagree. Whilst some areas of the globe have strict (ie non exercise outdoors) criteria, for the majority, exercise outdoors has been allowed and more people than ever are rediscovering cycling or taking up jogging as there is little else to do with gyms, football, pubs etc all shut. Certainly,

In the UK, bike shops can’t keep up with demand and the second hand market has gone mental.

I disagree. Whilst some areas of the globe have strict (ie non exercise outdoors) criteria, for the majority, exercise outdoors has been allowed and more people than ever are rediscovering cycling or taking up jogging as there is little else to do with gyms, football, pubs etc all shut. Certainly,

In the UK, bike shops can’t keep up with demand and the second hand market has gone mental.

Those people aren't traditional strava users and certainly not in the target market of what's being included in the paid version.

I gave up Strava a while ago.

I think a lot of people would be really surprised how rad it is exercising without it.

BUT, much like everything, we have all become accustomed to stats and the perceived need to have said stats. By all means stick to your training program, but leaderboards etc are easy to let go of.

Focus changes back to you and before you know it, you are enjoying looking for new lines, new things to pop off, different routes etc because you aren't fussed about times.

The addiction is real. Break the shackles of social media, be rad.

I bought an idt tried it out and then thought wtf am I doing ? Surfed daily for 30 something years and never timed myself or analyzed anything. Injury turned the bicycle to my weapon of choice so I could still be outside and enjoy nature. But then I ended up with so many devices

The idt was an aha moment, deleted Strava and I’m going back to basics

Each to their own but I need less tech more smile

Edited by Waynemol

No offence meant to anyone here, but I don't get the delete strava to have fun thing. I ride with a Garmin, tbh I don't look at it for anything else but the time of day during a ride. When I'm done my ride uploads to Strava and I look at the lekker graphs and one or two downhill segments where I felt good that day to see if I am beating any of the guys I am riding with (I don't) and then I close the app. I can't say it influences how much fun I have on the bike on little bit - it's just something cool to look at afterwards.

I get some guys get caught up the numbers, and deleting Strava stops that - but by no means do I think numbers and fun have any sort of correlation.

Edited by Grease_Monkey

No offence meant to anyone here, but I don't get the delete strava to have fun thing. I ride with a Garmin, tbh I don't look at it for anything else but the time of day during a ride. When I'm done my ride uploads to Strava and I look at the lekker graphs and one or two downhill segments where I felt good that day to see if I am beating any of the guys I am riding with (I don't) and then I close the app. I can't say it influences how much fun I have on the bike on little bit - it's just something cool to look at afterwards.

I get some guys get caught up the numbers, and deleting Strava stops that - but by no means do I think numbers and fun have any sort of correlation.

Guys have been beating that drum here since the beginning of the forum.

It's more tiring reading here that you can't push yourself and use strava whilst having fun, than it is to actually get a KOM on said app.

I bought an idt tried it out and then thought wtf am I doing ? Surfed daily for 30 something years and never timed myself or analyzed anything. Injury turned the bicycle to my weapon of choice so I could still be outside and enjoy nature. But then I ended up with so many devices

The idt was an aha moment, deleted Strava and I’m going back to basics

Each to their own but I need less tech more smile

Your last sentence is key - whatever makes one happy.

For some, it’s pushing themselves

For others, it’s just riding

It doesn’t make one right and the other wrong, or vice-versa, but rather that they are doing what they want to do. Why anyone would want to do something that they don’t enjoy, is difficult to understand.

I've been logging my rides electronically since 2010.

I go through phases where the data chasing is to much so I stop looking at it, but when I'm in the data analysis paralysis phase I like having all my historic data. So even when I'm not going to be looking at it I like that fact that is being stored somewhere for the times I do want to look at it.

So in essence I agree with you, keep the data uploading to whatever platform of choice, if looking at it takes away the fun factor then dont look at it, but one day when you're feeling extra strong (or weak) you can always look back and see what you are doing differently to the past.

It also pretty handy to track the mileage on your equipment for maintenance purposes.

It’s a personal thing, each to their own. Riding with devices and Strava doesn’t make it unenjoyable, I personally just feel liberated sans devices

Too many negative comments on this post...

Strava is great motivator...when I don't feel in the mood I check out what my mates are riding and that inspires me to get out and ride more...

I can keep tabs on my mates in three different cycling groups and see where they are riding.

With segments I can keep and eye on my own progress.

Strava showed me (with live segments) pretty instantaneously that my performance was dropping. A nutritionist confirmed that it was too many energy bars...was snacking on them during the day!!

Live segments and KOM's push me into riding harder and faster (because that's what I want).

I've always been competitive and so Strava has become my constant training partner.

80% of my riding is done alone so its great having a partner to accompany me.

KOM's come and go. You win some, you lose some. No sweat, no big deal.

Strava is a motivator and a connector with my mates. You can even organise a group ride on Strava and everyone gets notifications about the ride.

No one really wants to boast about their KOMs by listing them here.

Chasing KOMS can be great fun...but its not for everyone.

Same as someone said before, not sharing my KOMs here because I don't want to attract too much attention to them :D Would be nice if they could stay mine for a bit longer hahaha

Not that I have many, but I'm starting to enjoy targeting segments and try to steal them away... you really have to pick your battles as some have some crazy times... like that one climb where a guy has a 160km/h average. I like doing so because it helps pushing that extra mile when I'm doing high intensity training outside. To each their purpose...

Edited by Jbr

Agreed 100%, for my type of riding, and I have often said I am at the polar opposite end of the racing snakes that need to record ever grain of rice ate and every joule of energy spent on the bike ...

Initially I tried Strava on my phone for a few weeks, then deleted my account as it added no value at that time.

Much later I was looking for a single point to capture my data from then two different sources, now three difference sources.

What do I do with this data:

- nice to see the graphic of the route, and the core data.  I often do a screen grab of a special ride and share this with a few friends.

- It is nice to go back every 6 months, or once a year, and to compare my stats for a specific route .... time, hart rate, etc.  This morning I did a quick lap on Zwift, but my hart rate was only 117bpm, BUT I was putting out almost double the power I did during the early stages of my rehab.  Even during the sprint my hart rate went up, but did not red-line as it did a few weeks back.

- Monitor total distances for maintenance purposes.

I certainly cant justify a monthly fee for these basics.

Frankly, Garmin Connect provides more detail than I need.  I linked Zwift to Garmin this morning, and will be testing this .... feedback to follow.

STRAVA ..... I see this mornings ride only shows my basic stats, it no longer shows my route ....  will monitor this over the next few days .... 

EDIT - this afternoon's ride shows the map on Strava ....  :wacko:   Not sure why this morning's ride does not show the map ....

The Zwift-to-Garmin link works a CHARM  :clap:  this works very nice for me.

PS - anybody shared their rides with friends using Garmin Connect .... Setup as a "follower" ?

Edited by ChrisF

I'm giving the company car back today, so put the bike in the back of the car this morning and will ride home.

I did my normal mental check when packing my bag with cycling kit to make sure I packed everything, got to work and realised I left the garmin at home.

It will be a "blind" ride home, will still record it on the phone but no stats whilst I'm on the bike.

I'm giving the company car back today, so put the bike in the back of the car this morning and will ride home.

I did my normal mental check when packing my bag with cycling kit to make sure I packed everything, got to work and realised I left the garmin at home.

It will be a "blind" ride home, will still record it on the phone but no stats whilst I'm on the bike.

Sometimes those rides are necessary. Edited by Frosty

Sometimes those rides are necessary.

they ARE enjoyable, and it will stop me trying to better last weeks PB up the hill on the way home.

Strava was fun for a while, I actually enjoyed it more for running than cycling.

Im pretty sure its been around 2 years since I logged in though.

Its still linked to my Suunto app so every time I upload I see a few kudos coming through.